Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Headlight lens/film cracks

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
fastinfiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They don't use any heat gun when installing the bra. Just a spray bottle with liquid (not sure what...water mixed with something I assume) plus a device to press out the liquid & air bubbles.

I can run my fingernail along the crack and it catches. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the "peeling" film is on the inside of the hard plastic lense cover. I think its a quality issue too. Hope the dealer agrees. I'll let you know when I take it in.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Its in the lense. Like I said I have seen this very issue numerous times and they all look exactly alike. Do a search on the internet for "crazed headlights" and you will see what I am tlaking about. Its poor quality in the lense material... and Infiniti isnt the only automaker dealing with this issue.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
fastinfiniti

Update - The dealer has agreed to replace the passenger side headlight lense with multiple cracks. They will not replace the driver side lense since it has only one crack but said they would if more develop.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:08 AM
Kendelenyi

Originally Posted by fastinfiniti
Here is a photo.
I had the same issue. I took the car to a headlight clinic where refurbishing headlights and I have been told the cracks are inside. The Xenon light causing with its heat. That need long time to appear like that approx 8-10 years. I would be glad if I could change only the cover plastic lense but as far as I am concerned there is no such a thing on the market. That means I should replace the headlights. Unfortunately I have
seen only headlights with no AFS technology built in.​​​​​​
Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Probably hard enough to find any parts for your G in Hungary, let alone a set of AFS lights. And yeah, no luck w/ just the outer covers, a shame too as there are many Gs w/ cracking covers
Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I can confirm I have this problem too...I have just learned to live with it but it does suck...

I know a lot of people bake their lights to remove the covers and paint the inside, you may consider getting a Non AFS light, baking the light and swapping the outside...I also wondered if you could bake the light, take off the cover and fill/polish it from the inside the same way you do the outside or even use a windshield/cellphone glass repair filler type kit...just an idea would love to see someone run with it and post some results up here