Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Getting annoyed with the 7AT "Flare" when shifting....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maxtog
Well, it has been a lot more time and miles. I am happy to report that the behavior still seems mostly "fixed"! There is almost no flaring, although there is occasionally a "hint" that it wants to but then decides not to (if that makes any sense). I figure if it was going to relearn the old ways (with adaptive stuff) and revert to the old behavior, certainly it would have done so by now.
Sad to report that as soon as the "adaptive" stuff finished "learning" it was back to flaring again on warm starts a few months later. I have just been tolerating it for another 1.5 years

I recently saw the news about ITB12-027d (Nov 2012) on the forum, and had other needs to take my car to the dealer, so I complained again and told them about that ITB. Apparently what I got instead of ITB10-075a (April 14)? I thought I already had that applied, but it is all confusing, so I just don't know anymore.

They INSISTED there is nothing newer, even when I showed them the info from the forum about the version of the CONSULT III cables. They INSISTED I drive it again for 1,000 miles through the adaptive learning period. The service manager even claimed if it continues, they would probably be willing to replace the entire transmission with a factory new one. (Thankfully, even though the bumper-to-bumper warranty is now expiring, the transmission falls under a longer powertrain warranty).

So yep, the flaring is gone for now (just like it always does at first when they apply reprogramming).... but I don't hold out all that much hope. Time will tell. I will post my results in a few/several months.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 AM
maxtog
Registered Member

So yep, the flaring is gone for now (just like it always does at first when they apply reprogramming).... but I don't hold out all that much hope. Time will tell. I will post my results in a few/several months.
It barely flared a few times over the previous few months, and then it flared pretty badly a few days ago, once, and it was after a warm start/trip. I don't think it will ever really be fixed, just mostly suppressed. Time will tell if it gets worse.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think it will ever really be fixed, just mostly suppressed. Time will tell if it gets worse.
I'm in the same boat. I've learned to mostly ignore it as hard that is. Maybe once this thing is out of warranty and I still have it I'll change the valve body to give it quicker/firmer upshifts.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:57 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Flaring, as I understand it, is a hesitation in shifting. Is it constant or an occasional thing?
I have never noticed any hesitation in my 2011 G's shifting, but maybe I'm not aware of it. I think that there would have to be a noticeable lag for me to notice a hesitation. With so many complaining of flaring, I wonder if I have it and just don't notice.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:21 PM
maxtog
Registered Member

Originally Posted by forrmark
Flaring, as I understand it, is a hesitation in shifting.
It is more of an overshoot, where it allows the engine to briefly "freewheel" before finishing the shift, so the rpm jumps a few hundred RPM quickly. It would be like pressing in the clutch on a manual without lifting from the gas, then shifting.

Is it constant or an occasional thing?
Just occasional. And never on the first start. Only if you start the car a second or third time in the same day, while it is still warm.

I have never noticed any hesitation in my 2011 G's shifting, but maybe I'm not aware of it. I think that there would have to be a noticeable lag for me to notice a hesitation. With so many complaining of flaring, I wonder if I have it and just don't notice.
I think it would be impossible to not notice it. But I suppose it is possible some people are more tolerant than others
The following users liked this post:
forrmark (01-02-2014)
Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 AM
zcorepro777
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here. I know this is an old topic but I recently purchased a 2013 G37x with 29k miles and have picked up on what you guys are talking about. I tried to attach a short video of the tach as I slowly pulled away from a traffic light. You can see a slight jump in RPMs after several of the shifts. Is this what everyone is considering flaring? Also is there a known fix yet?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:47 PM
JustROLLIN
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by zcorepro777
New guy here. I know this is an old topic but I recently purchased a 2013 G37x with 29k miles and have picked up on what you guys are talking about. I tried to attach a short video of the tach as I slowly pulled away from a traffic light. You can see a slight jump in RPMs after several of the shifts. Is this what everyone is considering flaring? Also is there a known fix yet?
I dont see your video, but I am in nearly the same boat as you. I have a 2013 that I bought about 6months ago, with 30k on the clock. I had it happen on my way home one day and thought it was a slip. It was just like a slip, where the revs just climbed up, but the car did not accelerate. Anyway, sounds like its not a big worry. I have only had it happen one time.