MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Few questions before buying G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/196382-few-questions-before-buying-g37-sedan.html)

djsk 06-26-2009 02:07 AM

Few questions before buying G37 Sedan

Hello all! This is my first post and I hope there will be lot more posts and replies from me in the near future after I purchase a brand new G37!!!

Before I purchase the car I was hoping you guys could help me with some questions.

1. I'm set on getting the premium and sports package. But I'm still unsure on the Navi package since I dont know much about it since I never had a navi or a back up camera before. I have an iphone and have been loving the google map on it and use it all the time. I've read on the forums that you can hook up a cheap $200 navi through the video input as well as your iphone and have it show up on the screen. Does anyone have a picture of that setup? I would like to see how it would look. (I've seen the garmin black box set up and thats not what I want). I just want to see how the wire set up would look like cause im guessing it might look little messy.

2. I've never had a back up camera and never crashed my rear end of the car before. However, I can see many benefits to it. Could the people who use this everyday please explain some of the advantages and let me know if its worth it?

3. I always thought I was pretty much set on Black on black car, until I saw the white exterior G37 and changed my mind to get white. I loved the white exterior on the G37 until i found out the interior does not come with black on the sedan (only coupe!! boooo!!). For the people with black on black car, how hot does it get? I'm planning to have the car in Phoenix for couple of years and I never had a leather seat before. But I hear you want to avoid black on black in hot weather.

Thanks for your input and help!!

gugarci 06-26-2009 07:52 AM

My previous G was Blue Slate with Black and it's close enough to Black and Black. My current G is Liquid Plat/ Black and the Blue Slate's Black interior on really hot sunny days does get hotter than my current Liq Plat. If that's a concern tint your windows.

I rarely used the navigation but the back up camera IMO is worth every penny.
Specially is you go into areas that you do a lot of parallel parking. The camera also work well at night. The rear lights illuminate more than enough to see where you are going. IMO worth every penny.

beerme986 06-26-2009 09:18 AM

1. I would get the navigation because if your spending this much on a car, whats a couple thousand more to have it fully loaded. :D Honestly I rarely use the navi but its just nice to know it there. Plus it looks nice since Infiniti has the birds eye view feature. If you choose to sell it later, resale will be a little easier as well

2. Backup camera is definately worth it. Once you use have it, you wont want a car without it. Especially cause our cameras are have a crisp picture unlike bmw's.

3. Never noticed leather getting too hot cause mine is tinted :cool:

rx794 06-26-2009 09:38 AM

I got mine with every option available, if you're going to actually buy this car and not lease it, go with everything, it just makes no sense to spend all that $ and not get it all.

SkyMG37x 06-26-2009 10:58 AM

The Navi really comes in handy for long or short trips when you're not familiar with the area, even if you don't program a route. The backup cam is really useful even when parallel parking as it helps guide you in without hitting the curb.

G4me 06-26-2009 11:22 AM

1. NAV is cool.
2. Backup camera is cool.
3. Black on black is hot, but cool also.

ChodTheWacko 06-26-2009 03:44 PM

G37 does not have birdseye view, that's just the SUV.

The backup camera is fantastic. I've never backed up and hit anything before either, but You back up a lot further with 100% confidence with the camera. Makes turning in tight spots 100x easier.

The Nav is quite nice too, much nicer than the one in my old car.

- Frank

SkyMG37x 06-26-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko (Post 2668525)
G37 does not have birdseye view, that's just the SUV.

If you're refering to nav, yes the '09 G37 Nav has birdview as well as planview, and you can split the screen to see both.

BTW, it also has "Lane-Assist" (they call it Junction Guidance) which is on pricier portable units.

PeterUbers 06-26-2009 05:23 PM

find a way to get the OEM navi and camera -- you'll thank yourself later...

djsk 06-26-2009 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

I can see how the back up camera can be really useful. If I buy this car and scraped my rims trying to parallel park, I think I would shoot myself.

The thing I have a hard time with is the navi. Especially with the post saying the update CD is $250 and costs something like $200 to have Infiniti install it. Granted you only do it every 3-4 years or so, but still...thats alot of money.

SteveAZG 06-26-2009 07:16 PM

I live in Arizona, I have the DG color with stone seats and it still gets a bit hot in the summers. Just about any car is gonna be hot inside in 110+ degree weather. My friend has a dark grey mazda with black leather seats and literally you could melt your skin off on those seats some days, so yeah if you go with the dark car and black interior, get it tinted really well (in AZ, tint law is 35% in front and Anything you want in rear), and still be prepared for it to be hot inside.

ChodTheWacko 06-29-2009 12:32 PM

Oops, I thought you meant the birds eye rearview camera (the 360 degree thing).
Another note, if you get black on black, you really want both tint and a good sunscreen.
(I currently have the covercraft UVS100). Front tint is nice (if you can even get it, which you can't in NY), but can't beat a good sunscreen.

- Frank

brynomon 06-29-2009 01:39 PM

I have a g37xS. When I was buying my ride and considering options the Navi system was a no brainer. Typically I always know where I am and what needs to be done to get to my destination so I thought it was just flair. But when I test drove the car and played with the system I found it extremely useful. The usability is best in class and it has features that help me beyond just guidance. Fo example I can find nearby POI's such as gas stations view traffic etc... Then when I used the backup camera I was sold. I live in Chicago and sometimes have to parallel park. My old Maxima took a beating on the bumpers. This was mostly because of other people but there were times that I tapped. While the cam isn't 360 degree view it definitely helps at night and day to see approximately where vehicles are at the back corners as well.

AndBeyond 06-29-2009 05:33 PM

I have a G37x, black with tan interior. I specifically steered clear of the black interior based on concerns about it being too hot. I'm glad I went with tan -- after sitting in the sun all day, it's warm, but never unbearable here in Northern Virginia. I use a windshield screen when I park it in the sun for more than an hour.

I wondered about the Navi too, but I'm really glad I got it. The usability is excellent, and accuracy seems very good, but most importantly, it is highly integrated with the audio system, climate control system, voice command system, steering wheel controls, etc. There are many different ways of viewing the maps and turn-by-turn directions, some of them in split screens that simultaneously show the status of the audio system, climate controls, gas mileage, etc. If you use a stand-alone GPS, you will miss all of this integration. My wife has a Garmin GPS, and we love it for what it does, but it is still an "add-on" device that is a target for thieves and not integrated with the other car systems. I don't often drive in areas I don't know well, but I still use the GPS at least once a week to find a specific address or a restaurant or bank or something else. You won't regret having the built-in Navi.

bunluvsvw 06-29-2009 05:58 PM

Get the Navi, its like a cd player back in the 90s. Your car is going to look so outdated in a few years without navi. do you know how stupid a luxury car looks with those little portable navi on the windshield? Imagine this, "What? your $40k car dont have navi? even my Honda Fit has navi" I would wanna shoot myself if I heard that comment about my car. lol