Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for new G37 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions for new G37 owners

Hey everyone. I am close to signing for an 09XS and I know that a bunch of people on here have recently gotten their 09s so I thought I would ask some general questions.

1) Are some people expericancing some weird type of transmission downshift problems with the 7at or are the few incidents posted here a fluke?

2) Is it true you are supposed to use some fancy shmancy oil and filters on the 3.7 liter motor? If so this sucks because $100 oil chances as opposed to free maintenence by bmw further narrow the price gap and at some point, for someone like me who is in the market, a 335 just might make sense when we are talking a difference of like $75 a month over a G.

3) How many people here were able to get a RWD journey or 6mt in the northeast? For the people who wanted the journey but got the X or the Xs instead, how do you feel about your decision? Also how is the wear so far on the Dunlop tires that come on the XS?

4) Lastly, I am very confused by the fact that almost every G I have driven (test drives, friends' cars etc) feel so completely different. I mean no two cars are alike, but I feel like there is just too much of a descrepancy. Some 08s I drove feel really quick while others (especially some of the coupes feel more slugish). Just to clarify, I could not care less about tenghs of a second etc, i am talking purely seat of the pants type of an experianece as my favorite thing about the G is how responsive it is. Any thoughts on this or am I bugging? lol

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can only comment on a few points:

1) i'm not experiencing any of the downshift issues, although I can definitely notice more shifting and "engine braking" under 20mph than in our '08G35x .. it's just part of the 7AT, and other brands with 7AT's (i.e. mercedes) have similar driveability. Is it a fluke? I don't know, but I can tell you this, there is a finite number of people that own and drive '09G's that chime in on this forum, and there is a few amount of people that are complaining about their trannies... so the bigger picture is more than likely that most people are satisfied with their cars. Do what i did, drive the car you're looking at buying -- not the test drive vehicle, THE CAR you're about to sign for .. and if it drives weird, drive another one and purchase that, or don't purchase the G at all.

4) My '08G35x is lightening out of the hole (from a stop) and my G37 just doesn't seem to feel as light-footed .. i think that's probably because gearing is slightly different and my car isn't broken in either. My sister's 06G35x also feels quicker off the line, but she has abotu 23k on it the ODO .. i think a lot can be said for breaking in the car, but we have FOUR G35x's in the family, and the two '08G's drive the same, and the '06G is just as quick .. my G37 is a little sluggish off the line, but when i get on it (as I get closer to the break-in mileage) i know it's got the juice in it, just have to throttle harder off the line.

best of luck
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
#4: The G's ECU adapts to the driver. This includes the throttle mapping, so the power delivery will feel different in every car.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Alex57r

Interesting... i did not even know you can test drive a particular car. I will definately ask and see if they will let me, but won't driving it hard kill the break in?

Usually they give you an ugly car with light interior and no options... LOL

As for the 7AT, if its just lots of downshifting, I actually kind of like that!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
Hey everyone. I am close to signing for an 09XS and I know that a bunch of people on here have recently gotten their 09s so I thought I would ask some general questions.

1) Are some people expericancing some weird type of transmission downshift problems with the 7at or are the few incidents posted here a fluke?

2) Is it true you are supposed to use some fancy shmancy oil and filters on the 3.7 liter motor? If so this sucks because $100 oil chances as opposed to free maintenence by bmw further narrow the price gap and at some point, for someone like me who is in the market, a 335 just might make sense when we are talking a difference of like $75 a month over a G.

3) How many people here were able to get a RWD journey or 6mt in the northeast? For the people who wanted the journey but got the X or the Xs instead, how do you feel about your decision? Also how is the wear so far on the Dunlop tires that come on the XS?

4) Lastly, I am very confused by the fact that almost every G I have driven (test drives, friends' cars etc) feel so completely different. I mean no two cars are alike, but I feel like there is just too much of a descrepancy. Some 08s I drove feel really quick while others (especially some of the coupes feel more slugish). Just to clarify, I could not care less about tenghs of a second etc, i am talking purely seat of the pants type of an experianece as my favorite thing about the G is how responsive it is. Any thoughts on this or am I bugging? lol

Any input greatly appreciated.
1) I have a 6MT, however there is a TSB for the Auto downshift issue.

2) Ester oil is strongly recommended but not required; I purchased an extended maintenance program for $1200 which covers maintenance for 5 years/75K miles.

3) I live in Southern CA so there is an abundance of RWD G37.

4) Break in period and ECU learning has a lot to do with how a vehicle performs; the harder you drive it the more responsive it is.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
brynomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres my take

1. I experience the downshift problem. My dealer is working on it. The TSB is not official from what I understand. It is in the process of being properly published for dealers. But then again another person here said that they think a similar TSB from 08 models carry over. I personally have no way of knowing how widespread the tranny problems are. I think a lot of it depends on driving style and conditions. The car also seems to have gotten a little bit better now that its broken in but still problematic.

2. Ester oil is better. That is a true ester oil. Nissan's Ester oil is not entirely the real deal. Depending on how hard you drive the ester may be recommended.

3. Sometimes cars need to be ordered... but its pita.

4. Its all about the ECU. This car is a computer and a half.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recent G37xS owner here.

1. I notice lots of agressive downshifting..but sometimes...in traffic...she might go 4 3 2 1 and each shift happens under 1K rpm...then its not felt. If you seem to be driving like a normal person, you'll notice agressive downshifts as your just slowing to a stop. Sometimes...SOMETIMES...you might get a rough downshift from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2...seems like it depends on the road, how hard your breaking and if the ecu is trying to downshift at the wrong time. I've had it happen a few times in 2 weeks.

2. Dunno about ester oil. I do know that my VVL engine with 500 miles makes a lifter noise for the first 10-15 seconds on cold starts. But by cold...I'm talking 55 degrees. It goes away after the oil gets flowing. I'm not really worried about it.

3. I ordered a 09 G37 Sedan 6MT. I'm driving a G37Xs 7AT. What does that tell you. Not really any 6MT in the Northeast. Probably just as few 7AT RWD. My ordered car was "damaged" in shipping. I couldn't wait any longer.

4. My car drives the same as the demo I test drove...agressive downshifting and all.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
G37beijing

1. Downshift is a big issue for my G37 Journey 4dr. The car is hard to drive and dangerous in city traffic below 40mph. Without the upcoming TSB update that some owners are talking about, forget it.
2. Infiniti here uses general oil, not ester. I decided to change oil every 5,000KM.
3. Don't know.
4. The so called "adaptive trans" is a failure. Not only does every car drive differently, but also my own car drives differently every day. It's crazy.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting... i did not even know you can test drive a particular car. I will definately ask and see if they will let me, but won't driving it hard kill the break in?

Usually they give you an ugly car with light interior and no options... LOL

As for the 7AT, if its just lots of downshifting, I actually kind of like that!
Break-in takes 12k-18k miles on a G (as proven by UOA).

Modern engines have ultra-tight tolerances.

That being said, I know many that have done the manual recommended break-in, and many that have beat on their cars from day one, and we have yet to see a significant difference.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Break-in takes 12k-18k miles on a G (as proven by UOA).

Modern engines have ultra-tight tolerances.

That being said, I know many that have done the manual recommended break-in, and many that have beat on their cars from day one, and we have yet to see a significant difference.

Mike....You work at an Infiniti dealer don't you? I can't quite remember where you are at.....but maybe your above statement is more proof that our more modern engines don't need a significant "break-in" period? I mean, if the UOA's prove it, isn't that the gold-standard test? Also, what does your dealership service dept recommend about when to change to synthetic oil? My next service is 7500mi, and I'd love to get some Synthetic in my engine (probably starting with Pennzoil Platinum), but don't want to do it too early to damage the engine seals. Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Alex57r

I find it hard to imagine that slightly rough downshifts can be anythin gmore than unpleasant. I just cant see hwo its dangerous, but I suppose opinions can vary.

I dont even know what esther oil is but if they want me to put $100 oil in there they better pay for it. If not a leased car is geting whatever the owners manual says proly synthetic.

I guess you are right about ECU and break in but then testdriving the particular car will yield no valuable information right?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it hard to imagine that slightly rough downshifts can be anythin gmore than unpleasant. I just cant see hwo its dangerous, but I suppose opinions can vary.

I dont even know what esther oil is but if they want me to put $100 oil in there they better pay for it. If not a leased car is geting whatever the owners manual says proly synthetic.

I guess you are right about ECU and break in but then testdriving the particular car will yield no valuable information right?

Actually the owners manual "recommends" conventional 5w30 and that is what is used for a standard oil change at an Infiniti service dept, but a good quality synthetic 5w30 definitely won't hurt our engine. If you want the Nissan Ester Oil (which is 5w30 conventional oil with synthetic ester additives), then you have to ask for it, and PAY for it.

Here's more info about Ester oil: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Ester_Oil.aspx
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Shuric
The Mad Russian.

Someone said that ordering a car is a PITA - that wasn't my experience. i ordered mine in the end of january, got it last week, exactly 3 months later. if you want something rare - do it. don't settle with what the sales people will be pushing on you to clear their inventory.
I read a lot about the downshifting issues on 7 AT and was concerned about it but i guess mine doesn't have them. i've put almost 500 miles on in traffic, on the freeway and on city streets and everything is smooth.
Good luck with your purchase. i'm on my second awd g sedan and i can pretty much guarantee you that you wont be disappointed
Old 04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

It takes some time getting used to the 7-speed AT. I feel that the G37x downshifts are initially much different from a more conventional 4 or 5-speed AT (wherein "coasting" at higher gears occur often & initiated downshifts lag behind). The experience is different, but I would not say I feel that this is a "fluke".

Before the '09 G37x came into our household, my commuting sportster was actually my Yamaha motorcycle. What the '09 G37x 7-AT is doing is somewhat akin to how a motorcyclist would typically manually shift gears. At least, if I draw from that experience & parallel that to the G37, then it really would not seem a fluke.

Move the G37 shifter to the left notch & the "D" will change to "DS", the 7-AT will then be more "aggressive", with shift points moved up the RPM range. (This shifting style sort of reminds me of the shifting patterns of Grand Prix champions like Valentino Rossi. Just be aware that "DS" driving will drastically change your fuel economy stats).
Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
KLB

I actually bought the car I drove for my demo. I contacted the dealer online to get a quote, and when I went in to test drive they had the exact car I wanted so they brought it out for the test. When I decided to buy, it was the one they gave me.

For me the downshift would not even qualify as a minor annoyance. I notice it once in a while, but it does not cause me any problems.

I pretty much followed the rcommended breakin too. It really is not THAT hard to stay under 4K RPMs. I am done now though and I do push it a bit. I've had the car five weeks and am coming up on 3K miles.

When it comes to the AWD, I would not own another car without it. My last car had it and it was awesome in the snow. I do not know how it is where you are, but snow removal can be hit and miss in the Chicago/NW Indiana area.

Quick Reply: Questions for new G37 owners