G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How do I black out my white 2012 g37s coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 PM
lukeschleifer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I black out my white 2012 g37s coupe?

I have a stock white 2012 g37s coupe and i have seen people change everything from chrome to black. i want to do this, how? sorry im 16 and new to the car scene. also, i want to make my car louder, but not delete my muffler. help please! thanks!!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Wrap it black
Old 06-02-2019, 12:36 AM
TuckerE36
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lukeschleifer
I have a stock white 2012 g37s coupe and i have seen people change everything from chrome to black. i want to do this, how? sorry im 16...
Use the search feature...Since you’re 16 you should know how to use the internet.
The following 2 users liked this post by TuckerE36:
Джон (06-19-2019), josephwhan (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a stock white 2012 g37s coupe and i have seen people change everything from chrome to black. i want to do this, how? sorry im 16 and new to the car scene. also, i want to make my car louder, but not delete my muffler. help please! thanks!!

16 years olf and a 2012 g37s coupe? What a nice first (I'm assuming) car. I remember when I was 16 and I had to borrow parents'. But like mentioned above, use the search feature. A lotta good stuff on chrome deletes and wraps.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:32 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Search away on the forums, plenty of helpful stuff. Before you mod away, make sure all maintenance is up to date.

Plastidip is cheap and easy.

Paint looks better but is more expensive.

Wrapping looks great and is reversible, also pricey.

Save up for a quality catback exhaust and get the one you want after researching different options. I love my Motordyne setup.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 AM
C-G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
To blackout your wheels get them powdercoated.
Have your grille painted or wrapped.
Have your trim wrapped.

To make your exhaust louder look into purchasing a catback exhaust system. Some of the good choices are Ark, Motordyne, GTHaus, etc.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 AM
kallen
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did this on my son's '08. We pulled the grill, rear 'spolier' and emblems, sanded them with 400 grit wet until all the shine was gone (GO SLOW - you just want to knock the shine off so paint will stick.) and then each part was washed with soap and water (I used Simple Green), blown dry then wiped down well with lacquer thinner. They were then wiped down with a tack cloth and sprayed with 3 light coats of Bulldog Adhesion promoter, then 2 coats of primer. Any dings/chips were filled with glazing putty then it was all block sanded with 400, then 800, washed again, blown dry, wiped down with Denatured Alcohol (Lacquer thinner would damage the primer) then one more coat of primer.

After tacking off again, the parts got 3 medium coats of PPG automotive paint w/medium reducer which was allowed to dry for about an hour, then 3 wet coats of House Of Kolor UC35 clear with about 5-7 minutes of flash time between coats. (Make sure you wear a respirator with VOC filters in it when you spray! A simple dust mask will NOT work!) Parts were allowed to cure overnight before reinstallation, but care is still required because the clear is still a bit soft for a couple days. If the clear flows out well (and that HoK stuff really does is the application is correct) you won't need to cut and buff. Adhesion promoter and primer were all rattle canned, color and clear were both applied with a small HVLP gun.

90% of a good paint job is prep. Take your time with the prep. We spent probably 6 hours in prep work and about 30 total minutes in application. I think it took longer to clean the HVLP gun than it did to spray everything.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics right after the last coat of clear was applied and one of the installed grill.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kallen
I just did this on my son's '08. We pulled the grill, rear 'spolier' and emblems, sanded them with 400 grit wet until all the shine was gone (GO SLOW - you just want to knock the shine off so paint will stick.) and then each part was washed with soap and water (I used Simple Green), blown dry then wiped down well with lacquer thinner. They were then wiped down with a tack cloth and sprayed with 3 light coats of Bulldog Adhesion promoter, then 2 coats of primer. Any dings/chips were filled with glazing putty then it was all block sanded with 400, then 800, washed again, blown dry, wiped down with Denatured Alcohol (Lacquer thinner would damage the primer) then one more coat of primer.

After tacking off again, the parts got 3 medium coats of PPG automotive paint w/medium reducer which was allowed to dry for about an hour, then 3 wet coats of House Of Kolor UC35 clear with about 5-7 minutes of flash time between coats. (Make sure you wear a respirator with VOC filters in it when you spray! A simple dust mask will NOT work!) Parts were allowed to cure overnight before reinstallation, but care is still required because the clear is still a bit soft for a couple days. If the clear flows out well (and that HoK stuff really does is the application is correct) you won't need to cut and buff. Adhesion promoter and primer were all rattle canned, color and clear were both applied with a small HVLP gun.

90% of a good paint job is prep. Take your time with the prep. We spent probably 6 hours in prep work and about 30 total minutes in application. I think it took longer to clean the HVLP gun than it did to spray everything.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics right after the last coat of clear was applied and one of the installed grill.

That's awesome work man.Looks nice. And probably had some nice quality time with your son! Grill looks great! Any car pics posted anywhere?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:43 AM
kallen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by josephwhan
That's awesome work man.Looks nice. And probably had some nice quality time with your son! Grill looks great! Any car pics posted anywhere?
Nope. I really only created this account to get some info on mods for him. He's good mechanically, but doesn't have much in the way of experience. I'm an old hot-rodder and have been wrenching for over 40 years and want to get up to speed before we dive into suspension and engine tweaks.

Here's a pic after he first got this one (It's his 2nd. 1st one was an '05 G35 that met an untimely death.) Grill was painted (poorly) flat black previously.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Nope. I really only created this account to get some info on mods for him. He's good mechanically, but doesn't have much in the way of experience. I'm an old hot-rodder and have been wrenching for over 40 years and want to get up to speed before we dive into suspension and engine tweaks.

Here's a pic after he first got this one (It's his 2nd. 1st one was an '05 G35 that met an untimely death.) Grill was painted (poorly) flat black previously.

Definitely prefer your paint job over that flat black look. Very nice!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:01 AM
kallen
Registered Member

Thx! Waiting for the 3m VHB tape to arrive so we can put the spoiler and emblem back on. Next up is blasting the wheels to bare metal, fixing dings then painting the same PPG color as the grill and installing all the Eibach stuff he's got piled in the garage.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
U sure this is ur sons car? Sounds more like ur car lol
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 AM
kallen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
U sure this is ur sons car? Sounds more like ur car lol
Haha, nope, definitely his. I drive a Ford SuperDuty.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Haha, nope, definitely his. I drive a Ford SuperDuty.
There is always room in the garage for one more!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM
kallen
Registered Member

LOL. Clearly, you've never seen my garage!