Sponsored By:

Car Warms Up Quickly

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 PM
jaylin001
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Warms Up Quickly

My 2009 G37S comes up to temp within 2-3 minutes from a cold start. It doesn't overheat, but other cars I've driven usually take double that time. Should I be concerned or is that normal?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Idling or driving? Water temp does not indicate operating temp. Oil temp does. I can guarantee it's not at operating temp when the guage says so.
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW_IPL:
Andrew21kg (04-15-2021), jaylin001 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
In addition, you're not really seeing temperature. It's just a feel-good guage run by the ECU.
The following 2 users liked this post by slartibartfast:
Andrew21kg (04-15-2021), jaylin001 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 AM
jaylin001
Registered Member

Driving. It’s a good thing I said something instead of taking it for granted and ruining my engine in the long run. Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
it's normal, no concern. the G's water temp gauge does get up to operating range quickly. oil temp is different, but you do get warm air quickly through the heater core if that matters.

i always appreciated the fast 'warm up' in the G compared with my wife's Highlander which takes about double (according to the gauge). i would get warm air a bit before she would.

my G70 is about the same as the G37 was.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Your car is functioning normally.

The gauge in that you read in the dash is connected to the coolant coming directly out of the head. During warm up the thermostat is closed and most modern cars have heads that transfer heat quickly the VQ37 is one of them. We have oil warmer/coolers on our cars which assist in regulating oil temperatures by running the oil through a heat exchanger before the oil sees the filter It uses coolant to regulate the temperature. Most people when installing oil cooler delete the factor oil cooler. Oil temp is widely considered the best measurement of operating temp, and oil take a little longer time to warm than coolant. The oil typically takes around 5-10mins longer to get up to operating temp. Our dash gauge DOES NOT read oil temperature. It reads only the temp of the coolant. Oil temp and coolant are different despite our nifty little oil warmer the oil does not warm up at the same pace as the coolant. I personally try to keep my car under around 3.5-4k RPM for 10 mins of it first starting up to allow the oil to get up to temperature.

on my turbo car that uses the same oil wamer assembly. For people considering oil coolers. I does it job decently but can quickly get overwhelmed when really hammering on the car, highest oil temp i have seen in it was 250* but with in 3 mins of normal driving the factory oil cooler typically has the oil temp back in check. So its not as bad as people make it seem lol.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew21kg (04-15-2021)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Gman61286

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Your car is functioning normally.

The gauge in that you read in the dash is connected to the coolant coming directly out of the head. During warm up the thermostat is closed and most modern cars have heads that transfer heat quickly the VQ37 is one of them. We have oil warmer/coolers on our cars which assist in regulating oil temperatures by running the oil through a heat exchanger before the oil sees the filter It uses coolant to regulate the temperature. Most people when installing oil cooler delete the factor oil cooler. Oil temp is widely considered the best measurement of operating temp, and oil take a little longer time to warm than coolant. The oil typically takes around 5-10mins longer to get up to operating temp. Our dash gauge DOES NOT read oil temperature. It reads only the temp of the coolant. Oil temp and coolant are different despite our nifty little oil warmer the oil does not warm up at the same pace as the coolant. I personally try to keep my car under around 3.5-4k RPM for 10 mins of it first starting up to allow the oil to get up to temperature.

on my turbo car that uses the same oil wamer assembly. For people considering oil coolers. I does it job decently but can quickly get overwhelmed when really hammering on the car, highest oil temp i have seen in it was 250* but with in 3 mins of normal driving the factory oil cooler typically has the oil temp back in check. So its not as bad as people make it seem lol.
This is fantastic information. To the op I was thinking the same thing.