Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Coupe: Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:50 PM
13G37coupe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question G37 Coupe: Too Loud

Hi All, this is my first post on this forum, but I was a longtime G35driver and My350z.com member when I had a G35. I'm familiar with the platform! I purchased a '13 G37 coupe back in September as a fun second vehicle. It's in great shape ... Alabama car, garaged before and during my ownership, no winter exposure. I only put about 400 miles on it.

Here's my problem: I used to have a series of incredibly loud cars, and my left ear is very sensitive to certain exhaust frequencies and drone.
  • The stock exhaust drones too much at low rpm.
  • At full throttle, the noise in the interior is super annoying. It irritates my ear even with earbuds in.
    • Not sure if it's intake or exhaust noise.
In essence, I can't stand driving the car.

So far, I've tried installing the following trunk mat to help: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...ier-mats-60x54
Block Sound Entering Through the Trunk or Cargo Area Floor
The easiest way to block noise coming through the trunk or cargo area floor. 60"x54" mats you cut to fit. Your choice of two very durable wear surfaces - molded diamond plate finish or pebbled. Both feature 1 pound per square foot barrier layers decoupled by bonded 1/4" closed cell foam. For very noisy areas, one of these in addition to the normal trunk/cargo area floor treatment will double the mass/area of your barrier.
f you take your car to the track periodically and don't want to add permanent weight to your vehicle, keep one of these in the trunk when you aren't at the track, take it out while you're there and put it back in when you're done.
I used the stock carpet liner as a template. I traced the carpet onto the Trunk / Cargo Floor Acoustic Barrier Mat with a soft pencil and cut it out with a pair of offset tin snips and an X-Acto knife for the tight corners.
Both surfaces are very dark gray / black
This didn't make a substantial difference.

Next steps could be ...The underbody spray is an inexpensive idea I'll absolutely implement. Resonators are also doable, but the CBE, or getting rid of the car, is the least desirable option. Also, I'm not sure if the Ark Grip will actually play better with my ear, or if I'll drain $1.4k and make the boominess and tone worse.

Any help is very useful! This is not the usual exhaust complaint, but I like everything else about the car.

Last edited by 13G37coupe; 03-21-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Your car still has the stock exhaust?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 PM
13G37coupe

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
To my knowledge, yes.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 13G37coupe
To my knowledge, yes.
might wanna double check lol
The following users liked this post:
chinabean (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
yeah, stock exhaust is annoyingly quiet. LOL
Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 PM
13G37coupe

It's not bad all the time. Under 2000rpm, and at WOT is when it gets me. I definitely didn't ask for this ear sensitivity, but it is what it is. I can feel the sound reverberating on the left side from the A pillar to the C pillar and back. If the cabin was a different shape, there's a good chance it wouldn't be a big deal. I'll put the car up on some ramps and check out the exhaust, but I'm sure it's stock.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Ark Grip?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Evorus5
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From what you're saying, I don't think there's a problem with how "loud" the car is. The problem is the frequency. At under 2k RPM and at WOT it seems to bother you so those frequencies should be fixed. You could get a louder exhaust that resonates at a lower freq. Ark Grip is loud but somewhat deep so that might help.

I don't have a problem with loud noises, what bothers me on my right ear is certain frequencies. Like a loud ringing/vibrating noise in my ear.

Best bet is to meet up a forum member and ask them to let you hear their setup.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
ARK Grip will accentuate the low-end base notes up to about 2500 rpm, then it gets quieter as the distinct VQ rip starts. If you have sensitivity at low-rpm, the Grip is not for you.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 PM
CJ1957
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Treasure Hunt

Originally Posted by 13G37coupe
To my knowledge, yes.
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Not trying to make this question redundant but have you gotten your car either off the ground on jack stands or easier yet, up on a lift to see what exhaust system you have first?

Not until you 100% identify what you have should you look at a, if any, alternatives to change your system to your liking. A stock exhaust, even for the sport option is not overly noticeable after warm-up at idle or at freeway speeds. You could have the following installed that could be your culprit and if I leave anything out, please viewers chime in.

For knowledge purposes, I'm going to explain this in laymen terms. It is not meant to offend anyone's intelligence or mechanical knowledge.

Things you need to verify that are either being stock or replacement pieces in reference to you having a coupe.

1. Replaced stock exhaust manifolds (headers with heat shields) with after market headers:

a. Usually identifiable by not having light aluminum heat shield halves wrapped around them.

b. The non-stock/after market headers will look like bare metal tubing bolted to the outer side of each head assembly that's easily seen from the topside of engine.

2. Replaced stock catalytic converters with seen from underneath car:

a. High flow catalytic converters (HFC's). Typically they have only one converter instead of two located after the exhaust manifold/headers. They are more free flowing and can be a bit louder than stock cat's.

b. Test pipes. Also attached to the stock exhaust manifold or headers, look like a straight pipe running to and attached to the mid-pipe. These do not baffle any of the exhaust coming out of the exhaust manifold or headers and create more noise than HFC's.

Not sure how significant mid pipes are unless they are replaced because of damage with after market ones. Usually they are included with a complete axle back performance exhaust system but maybe someone here has more input about them being added to stock exhausts?

3. Replaced stock muffler with:

a. After market which there are many brands out there. If you can verify you have a stock muffler, this is the end of the road so to speak of the exhaust system, unless......

b. Stock mufflers have been replaced with a dual muffler setup which may cause drone.

c. Last but not least, a replaced stock muffler with muffler deletes. These can cause a lot of unwanted noise and drone (I know firsthand). Typically they look like test pipes with no baffle or they could look baffled (thicker in the middle) but they are essentially a straight through pipe.

Hope this helps and let us know what you found on your baby. It would really help if you can share some pictures of the front to back components. I'm sure you'll get a ton of feedback and advice here if you do.

Last edited by CJ1957; 03-22-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 AM
13G37coupe

ARK Grip will accentuate the low-end base notes up to about 2500 rpm, then it gets quieter as the distinct VQ rip starts. If you have sensitivity at low-rpm, the Grip is not for you.
Originally Posted by CJ1957
Not trying to make this question redundant but have you gotten your car either off the ground on jack stands or easier yet, up on a lift to see what exhaust system you have first? ...
All, this is some good feedback both on the tone of the Ark Grip and that I just need to get the car on some ramps to check out the exhaust. I'll do this tomorrow afternoon and post up some pics.
The following users liked this post:
C-G37 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 PM
13G37coupe

All, the exhaust is stock. I checked the headers too and they have the stock heat shields, etc. I guess my hearing is just sensitive! Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2019, 12:55 AM
CJ1957
Registered Member

I agree, it looks like you have the OEM stock exhaust system. How many miles on your G?

Last edited by CJ1957; 03-26-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM
13G37coupe

I agree, it looks like you have the OEM stock exhaust system. How many miles on your G?
69,xxx miles. I think it's very clean for the year and mileage.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 AM
CJ1957
Registered Member

Not too many miles and yes, the underneath of your G looks really clean. If your muffler is still good and I would assume it is, to rule out any noise besides the outlets of your muffler, maybe you might have a leak somewhere. Check all the pieces where they join together at the flanges while the car is running. If you can't detect anything unusual, have someone rev the engine while your listening at each joining section.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 AM
13G37coupe

Not too many miles and yes, the underneath of your G looks really clean. If your muffler is still good and I would assume it is, to rule out any noise besides the outlets of your muffler, maybe you might have a leak somewhere. Check all the pieces where they join together at the flanges while the car is running. If you can't detect anything unusual, have someone rev the engine while your listening at each joining section.
Gave it a try tonight. Seems to be fine. I think I'll need to look into some Vibrant resonators to replace the stock items. I'll have to measure the space to see if there's enough room. Will probably coat the underbody with some sound deadener spray too. The drone under 2000 is the most annoying thing.

Quick Reply: G37 Coupe: Too Loud