Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easy to get into beginner mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:27 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Some more great ideas, thanks a lot guys!

I was about to snag the oem grille from eBay and just saw they have site wide 15% off sale FYI. Let's see what else I will be compelled to add. :-)

As far as sway bars go (I've always driven smalls suvs) I'll buy into the handling will drastically change. Not to start a topic of the best brand, but is the manufacturer's part#22441 for hotchki's the one that everyone recommends? Link here from tire rack is what I'm about to snag.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...=Sport+Package

I did like the idea of getting my grille painted and was asking around different body shops but they told me the paint might not correctly stick if it's chrome (this is the material, correct)? So I figured I'll just go ahead and get the OEM midnight black grille. The uh, OEM style which looks recommended is currently out of stock. At least with OEM there will be 0% fitment issues! Can't wait to put that one one.

Last edited by iddqd; 06-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
It’s not really chrome, it’s plastic. I’ve had no issues

The following users liked this post:
iddqd (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Sweet! That looks very nice. Alrighty, you leaned me towards having it painted.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Painted mine as well. Either scuff the surface really good for the paint/primer to have something to bond to OR you can give your grille a bleach bath for 2 days and it will wipe right off.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:32 PM
g-wagon
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Change the interior lights and door lights to LED bulbs. I changed mine to white and it looks very nice and bright at night
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Painted mine as well. Either scuff the surface really good for the paint/primer to have something to bond to OR you can give your grille a bleach bath for 2 days and it will wipe right off.

I had a shop do mine, IDK what they did for surface prep. They also did my fog light surrounds a matte/flat black.

And I've been running a color matched chrome trunk lip spoiler for 6 years, also with no issues. It's all in the surface prep
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
M&MG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost every G could use a bit of a drop...
Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

I went ahead and installed a few things today - oem midnight black grille for a decent price, jdm depo tail lights from eBay, carbon fiber element steering wheel with red stripe up top and red stitching and modified led push to start gtr button from grojas over here. I will get a local shop to help install the front and rear hotchkis sway bars.

I can definitely see what people mean by wheel gap. It really does stick out. I've never lowered my car before but I'm pretty tempted to get a basic coilover set such as the tein street basis z ones. I've read here they are very similar to sport stock. The car is plenty quick enough for me anyways as a daily driver. I keep it in drive mode most of the time. I like how the car knows when I want to baby and work on mpg and when to push me back when I do some spirited driving on some back roads. I never did the ecu update or whatever people recommend for lag on the 7AT. I usually only notice lag between shifting when in drive sport mode. Weird.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I'm definitely shooting for "aesthetic" mods over performance ones right now haha. From what I read, this isn't the type of vehicle I should even bother trying to work on performance for cost to performance ratio. I already turn around at look at my car when I park, now I just won't turn around in the first place!

Next baby steps will probably be a drop then powder coat wheels to gunmetal/dark grey. The VIS carbon fiber hood looks real nice but I'm wondering if the 1k would be justified elsewhere. IPL side skirts seem enticing too. They really flare out. I definitely recommend a carbon fiber steering wheel. It feels very bolstered/thick. I really dig it.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
That wheel upgrade sounds good, especially considering it's the thing we contact the most during all the miles driving

Unless you go all out w/ body mods I'd stay away from a big CF piece like the hood, it will look out of place.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM
iddqd
Registered Member

Heck yeah, I'm loving it so far.

I'll follow that advice and not bother with the hood yet. I'll work on smaller things to continue making it that much more enjoyable. :-)