Sponsored By:

advice on project car needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 AM
willard
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
advice on project car needed

I bought a G37s coupe 6mt, with navigation and rear spoiler, 96k miles, rebuilt title, sight unseen from Florida. It was delivered last week, it needs both front fenders replaced, they are damaged on the top, I'm not sure how, the hood and front bumper cover are undamaged. The rear bumper cover has some damage, and it needs to be replaced, the wheels are chrome and they have curb rash and are peeling, the tires need replacing, the info screen has a stain in the middle, the headlights are faded and have spider cracks in them. The interior is in pretty good shape, seats are in great shape, the dash is sticky, it needs a good cleaning. It runs good.

I'm into the car for $5400 and i think I can make a thousand or so If I sell it as is, I'm in the Northeast and there are no 6mt's available for sale in 200 miles. I bought it as a second car, so I can take my time fixing it up. I'm not sure if it will be worth it to make it nice, it's at my friends body shop now, he'll install the parts, paint the nose, doors and rear bumper for $1800 and I supply the parts. I can buy new oem fenders and the bumper cover for $950. He said he will polish the headlights, but the cracks will remain.

I don't know if I should let this one go and look for another one, I'm probably going to have to buy one from another state because 6mt's are impossible to find here and the one's I've seen for sale in other states are $12,000 with reasonable miles, I'll probably be into this one for about $9000-$9500.

If I keep it would the Oemassive headlights be a good idea? My friend said I could sandblast the wheels and paint them, I'm not sure the cost of that.

Any advice will be appreciated, I don't have pics yet, It was surrounded by cars at the body shop when I looked at it.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome.

If the wheels are truly chromed, ditch 'em. Chrome is HEAVY. You can often find OE Coupe and Sedan S wheels in our Classifieds forum.

Headlights are a subjective decision, so I won't offer an opinion. I wouldn't buy 'em if you're just going to flip the car, though.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 PM
willard
Registered Member

Thanks,

I'm either going to flip it before I do any work to it or keep it once I start the work. I'll keep any eye out for the OE wheels.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
2K1 6T8
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...300-jl025.html

This is an older deal that might be working again?

I got these for $66 a wheel from this thread in the sedan forum:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...r-66-each.html

I got them back in February of last year. If you can get them, you will NOT be disappointed.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM
6MT>7AT
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I live in the northeast and bought my 08 G37S Coupe 6MT for only 8.5k with 99k miles clean title. I got lucky and got a really good deal but if you put in 9k you definitely won't get that money back when you try to sell it rebuilt IMO. I'd sell it before you get to deep into it. I was looking for well over a year before I stumbled upon mine. As far as the OEMassive headlights go I've heard that the fitment and light output are sub par compared to oem so I'd stay away from those.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM
willard
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 6MT>7AT
I live in the northeast and bought my 08 G37S Coupe 6MT for only 8.5k with 99k miles clean title. I got lucky and got a really good deal but if you put in 9k you definitely won't get that money back when you try to sell it rebuilt IMO. I'd sell it before you get to deep into it. I was looking for well over a year before I stumbled upon mine. As far as the OEMassive headlights go I've heard that the fitment and light output are sub par compared to oem so I'd stay away from those.
Thanks,
That's what I needed to hear, I will sell this one as is and keep looking, I'll wait until I can find a deal similar to yours.