Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Real Performance Mods/Results...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Belial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Performance Mods/Results...

exhaust , cai's and sport tune add minimal power... why do we do it? why not just install a Stillen Supercharger? i have a 2008 coupe sport automatic. will not be going the twin turbo route. i just dont know of any other mods you can actually see real performance unless you do forced induction. coming from mustangs... i wish there was more performance mods that we can do without having to add a SC. all ive done to this car is add better sway bars and bigger brakes with slot drums.

what have yall done to get real performance results?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 AM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bought a sport bike for the cost of a supercharger.

Imo if you're not willing to go forced induction no mods will give you the feel of a good enough power increase for the price.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
FI is the only real way to go with the G but it way too expensive (at least for me). I like working on my car and modding. It's fun to remove a completely perfect part to install an aftermarket part that will probably reduce performance and void warranties. I've tried K&N intakes, Test Pipes, Axle back muffler, Eibach springs. They all made a difference but most was just noise. No real performance improvement. I had fun playing with them though. Car is back to stock now. Looking for my next car. It will not be modded so I need to make sure it comes with FI. M4???
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
All NA cars are like that...Not sure what was expected. It's not a boosted car so don't expect FI results as a result of swapping in larger piping.

It's a 0-60:5.3 sec, 1/4: 13.5 sec. luxury coupe at $<20k...Not sure what more you wanted...
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I like the new Mustangs and Camaros but look there are soooo many of them everywhere. Maybe it’s not the greatest on power but it’s respectable enough, beautiful (subjective) and I can drive it in the snow. I’ve had so many people ask me “So.. how does it drive in the snow? “ with a snide tone. The pause after I tell them it handles great..it’s AWD... is priceless. Pretty hard to beat the whole package for the price (used) but yeah if the focus is horespower, you picked the wrong car.

HA! RMB Beat me to it!^^^^
Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You can change rear gears for faster acceleration. A lot of people go 3.9 or 4.08
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
It's a naturally aspirated V6 that's already pretty well optimized. Power gains offer a pretty poor ROI.

Do it for the sound, a few extra horsepower is just a bonus.

Suspension mods payoff big.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I mean, You can probably go all out and squeeze a couple seconds off of ticket times via boost or NA mods but that's not why you (I..) got it. It is hands down the best all-around car you can get for the price...

Reliable...check

Comfort...check

Panty dropper...check

Mod-friendly...check

AWD...check

Decent power...check

If I wanted a faster car, there were tons of options I could've gone with at the expense of one or more of the above mentioned options. I love seeing what guys do when throwing turbos on this car but I need my car to fire up without question every day and be my DD.

If you want, grab a side car and use that as a project. Satisfies the itch.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I mean, You can probably go all out and squeeze a couple seconds off of ticket times via boost or NA mods but that's not why you (I..) got it. It is hands down the best all-around car you can get for the price...

Reliable...check

Comfort...check

Panty dropper...check

Mod-friendly...check

6MT...check

Decent power...check

If I wanted a faster car, there were tons of options I could've gone with at the expense of one or more of the above mentioned options. I love seeing what guys do when throwing turbos on this car but I need my car to fire up without question every day and be my DD.

If you want, grab a side car and use that as a project. Satisfies the itch.
FIFY

Originally Posted by RMB5190
It is hands down the best all-around car you can get for the price...
It really is. 2 door, 4 door, AWD, RWD, Auto or Manual.

With one exception, the fuel economy kinda sucks. Pros still far outweigh that.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Belial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the idea of putting in different gears for better take off. I actually really like that idea much more than jumping on the supercharger bandwagon. I know from personal experience what a car drives like when you put a lower gear ratio in the rear end especially and trucks and Mustangs. My only concern is it being an automatic and there's more modifications you have to do the vehicle and I'm concerned it might pull up more wear and tear on the transmission.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
mine is a DD. ask yourself: "how often do i use the entire 330 stock horsepower?"

would i like a 500hp car? yes! would it be worth dumping $$$$ into it when 98% of the time i'm just driving to work or the store? no.

i'm cool with 330hp, stock reliability, and a lot of money to spend on other stuff.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:49 AM
pincheseyha
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
mine is a DD. ask yourself: "how often do i use the entire 330 stock horsepower?"

would i like a 500hp car? yes! would it be worth dumping $$$$ into it when 98% of the time i'm just driving to work or the store? no.

i'm cool with 330hp, stock reliability, and a lot of money to spend on other stuff.
Exactly this, and just like RMB said, you can just get a sidecar and make that your project car for whatever needs.

These little mods that we buy definitely won't make a 10 second car but for the most part, sound and looks.

It already comes with 330 from the factory and I am more than happy with the overall package.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I need the AWD. If I was in an area where RWD was acceptable all year round - absolutely. Whenever I start to lean towards RWD, days like today are a reminder of why I went with the AWD.

Now that I've introduced a 6MT into my life (other car), I've stomped the brake in the G more than a few times looking for a clutch. If anyone is in the car - I just say I saw a deer.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Belial
exhaust , cai's and sport tune add minimal power... why do we do it? why not just install a Stillen Supercharger? i have a 2008 coupe sport automatic. will not be going the twin turbo route. i just dont know of any other mods you can actually see real performance unless you do forced induction. coming from mustangs... i wish there was more performance mods that we can do without having to add a SC. all ive done to this car is add better sway bars and bigger brakes with slot drums.

what have yall done to get real performance results?
There are multiple VQ37VHR FBO owners with 330 + WHP which is a noticeable increase from the ~260-280WHP these cars make from the factory. Throwing on a stillen supercharger on a 7AT car can near $10K.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MaQG37
There are multiple VQ37VHR FBO owners with 330 + WHP which is a noticeable increase from the ~260-280WHP these cars make from the factory. Throwing on a stillen supercharger on a 7AT car can near $10K.
Easily...7AT can be built but it's going to cost more than a manual transmission would. 10K gets the SC on...looking at a minimum of another 2k to build the transmission - doing the work yourself.

Quick Reply: Real Performance Mods/Results...