Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Advisse for G37 summer 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Chabsun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Advisse for G37 summer 2018

Hello,
So I'm new,
Alex, living in Canada at Quebec(the north of Quebec), actually study civil engineering,I'm french so excuse me for my fault in english.
So there it is, I work hard at school and at my job, I will get my driver's license on august 2018 and planning on a good car (My first car was a Seat Ibiza in my country(75hp))
When I mean good car fun to drive: V6 best buck for the reliable, fuel and SOUND(very important for me, I prefer sound good and do a 0-60 mph in 6s, to sound lazy and do it in 3s,
I can DIY and do mechanic, I don't have any problem with this but I have some limits, so if every repair is a nigthmare... No!
So I planning on a coupe only! Don't talk me about sedan ( to young to drive this) and SUV
I have 3 cars on list: G37X S,Bmw N55 335I coupe, Audi A5 3.2 (planning to buy one on 3 years)
3.The audi looking good but is more expensive compare to the G37 and sound is not to good ( 12 000CAD)
2.G37 look good but I don't like the rear but I can live with, sound great and cheaper (9 000 CAD)
1. 335i more expensive, but sound very great and look nice (15 000CAD)
So after 2 months of read at bimmerpost, with the idea of a N55 more reliable vs the N54 (wich I don't like the sound), I see the true, you need 2 000K for repair per years with this cars to be safe (and you not 100% safe)
So there it is, the G37 looking me like a hot babe
Excuse me if there is thread like this in the forum, but your forum is big, it will take me months..
So I have some questions for you:
I read that the G37 are more reliable compare to the G35 but how many you put pair year? What do you do? Do you need to watch the engine every week?
I read the RWD is catastrophic in snow? But with GOOD tyres? ( AWD is good if good tyres, I get it)
The G37 S vs G37 you see really a difference? (betwen the interior, this is very important?) (the exterior can have mods so.. is not a difference for me )
Y see in a video you can switch on AWD to RWD, but it is permanent? It will hurt the car?
I like the HKS and magnaflow exhaust but it is very expensive ( 2K) so there is nothing to sound like "grrrrr" (example here:
), rev like a god and do not drone? How many? And I want only the " grrrr " feel like natural V6 (500$ and less will be the best)
I don't want hp more but I know some of the dealer make ECU who make a little more hp and less fuel consumption, the G37 have this? It's work? It is safe?
Your fuel consumption? With Ecu change?
I planning on a 2008-2009 G37 150 000 km max, but a 200 000km can do the work if I not pushing it?
So It's all!
Thanks for your future advisse and expertise.

Edit: I see on the forum that the RWD can drive in snow but need good tyre (blizzak or michelin ice3)
And the G37 have minor repair in lifetime but I don't see 1 price in the forum

Last edited by Chabsun; 12-21-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
welcome. lots of questions nested in your post, but the general sentiment is that yes, the G37 is generally very reliable and typical repairs and preventative maintenance are straightforward. you do not need to watch the engine every week as you ask, the engine is very reliable. 2012 and later models are supposed to have a revised cam cover part which eliminates the dreaded low-oil pressure condition resulting in limp-mode. this issue is not a certainty, but it is common enough (on the forums) that it sticks out as the most feared repair - which would run ~$1500CAD at a dealer if it happened after warranty coverage expires. for some perspective, my car was only the 3rd cam cover gasket replacement that my dealer had done when mine failed ~2-3 years ago. so the overall numbers are still low but over-represented on the forums.

you will be buying a used vehicle as a recent graduate. and although a bachelor's degree in engineering is among the best-paying undergrad markets, don't count on a huge windfall of cash to be thrown at you. as a senior engineer, i've been through it myself. you'll still be somewhat restricted financially so try to think as practical as possible. given your list, the used G37 is by far the most prudent choice. aging Audi's and BMW's are not known to be easy on the maintenance budgets.

i would say judging by age alone to stay away from the G35. i love the G35's - owned one myself 2 years after graduating university and saving like a mad man to pay cash - but at this point they will be getting long in the tooth and inevitably that will lead to additional repair costs. you seem to be more keen to spend extra funds on modifications rather than continual repairs.

if it was me, i would look for either an S or XS sport trim in as late a model year as you can afford (but do your due diligence and get an inspection regardless, newer does not always equal better). the mechanical and appearance upgrades are a must in my books.

there are many options when it comes to aftermarket modifications for the G37, and "improving sound" is very common, although most folks like the G37 coupe sound from the factory. spend some time on this forum and you'll get tons of options and opinions. listen to sound clips, and try to meet up with locals to get an idea of what is a best fit for you.

the G37S (RWD) is no worse or better than other higher powered RWD coupes. if snow is a reality for you, winter tires are a must regardless if you get RWD or AWD. if you live in a hilly area, get the AWD. or count on taking transit on snow days.

depending on how you drive, the G37 is not easy on fuel. and we take premium fuel which adds cost - but so does each car on your list. after 7 years ownership, i average ~13L/100km +/-1L standard deviation.

hopefully that helps, good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by canucklehead:
blnewt (12-21-2017), Chabsun (12-26-2017), KAHBOOM (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Chabsun

Thanks for posting,
This help me a lot, and you have right, the G37 is the best for my situation.
I will see for a G37x S, G37x or G37 S (automatic)
But two little question
If there is more than 16'' snow in my town, the non AWD G37 will not move?
I see people import G37 on the forum from Japan, it's frenquently (or cheaper?) or buy one in Canada(more secure)?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:42 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
With some mods and tune, your gas economy will not be that great. I drive like 85% street driving and get like 13mpg.

if you're in canada, just buy g37 from a local dealer. there's no reason to import from japan.

if you're in an area that has snow, snow tires will help much more than all wheel drive. a rwd with snow tires will handle much better than a non snow tire awd car.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
But snow tires with AWD is the best solution in snowland...
Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Chabsun

Snow tyres is a obligation past november in my province,
I'm just worried about performance in snow of the RWD G37 but, I can take the bus when 16" snow come
Old 12-22-2017, 10:37 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ your challenge will actually be finding a RWD in north Quebec since the vast majority will be X or XS models. i'm sure you'll be able to track down a RWD S but they'll be fewer by a long shot (any S model you find will probably be the 6MT version). if this is the case as i suspect, just go for an XS model. it is essentially RWD-biased until slip occurs or when starting from a dead stop, not as AWD-biased like an Audi (at least i think this is accurate).

RWD sedans are equally hard to find in Canada, perhaps even more so. especially 6MT trims. i had to import mine from Baltimore, but only because there was no stock in Canada over a 6 month search aside from a black one in ON and a white/tan one not far from me. neither colour combo worked for me. in your case, no need to import - especially from Japan. with patience you'll find the car you want but you may need to travel to a larger urban area to get it.
The following users liked this post:
Chabsun (12-26-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The stock RWD version has lower ground clearance than the stock AWD too. You mentioned 16 inches of snow, so that may prove challenging for the RWD when compared to an XS with AWD that has greater ground clearance.

If you are lowering the car anyway then ground clearance is a non-issue. With snow tires, as long as you can keep from bottoming out, the G37 will move with RWD or AWD.

But AWD will move much better, all other things being equal or OEM.
The following users liked this post:
Chabsun (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Chabsun

You have right for the finding part, from my little research the best stock of G37 is in Ontario (I can take the trip to take my car) and british colombia (far away from me)
Don't matter for me AWD or RWD, S (I hope getting a S with X) or not. I need 3 things, coupe, navigation and paddle shifter. Is all I'm asking . (backup cam will be a plus)
Thanks for the advisses on the snow (your exemple is good)
I don't planning lowering the car (I don't like that, on supercar to, the stock level is good enough )
PS: The most difficult is to find a XS with a good price

Last edited by Chabsun; 12-25-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
The stock RWD version has lower ground clearance than the stock AWD too. You mentioned 16 inches of snow, so that may prove challenging for the RWD when compared to an XS with AWD that has greater ground clearance.
16" of snow will prove challenging for ANY G37 ... it will be bottomed out.

its not an SUV - all flavors of G37 won't be going anywhere in 16" of snow.

5.1" of max ground clearance vs. 16" of snow means you're pushing 11" of snow for a short time until the G37 stops moving.

i had a Subaru Legacy that just barely got me home from work in the giant snow storm of 2010 - traction wasn't a problem with AWD and Blizzaks, but the car was starting to bottom out as i got close to home. if it was any deeper, i would have been stranded.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:08 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
16" of snow will prove challenging for ANY G37 ... it will be bottomed out.

its not an SUV - all flavors of G37 won't be going anywhere in 16" of snow.

5.1" of max ground clearance vs. 16" of snow means you're pushing 11" of snow for a short time until the G37 stops moving.

i had a Subaru Legacy that just barely got me home from work in the giant snow storm of 2010 - traction wasn't a problem with AWD and Blizzaks, but the car was starting to bottom out as i got close to home. if it was any deeper, i would have been stranded.
Good point.
I assumed at least some of it will get cleared but still better to find something built for the job in that kind of snow.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Chabsun

I will take the bus or anyting else. I want a coupe... SUV or pick-up is good for the 5 (6...) months of snow I have but I will take the coupe with me again, I know the job is important but it is my pleasure my car, I work hard and study hard, need that.
PS: If you have some price (I take US and CAD)
Of AWD S, AWD, RWD S and RWD G37 with 100 000km-200 000km, the year can start to 2008-9
I was planning on 9 000 CAD (with negociation etc) but after research I think it will be 1K more

Last edited by Chabsun; 12-26-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chabsun
I will take the bus or anyting else. I want a coupe... SUV or pick-up is good for the 5 (6...) months of snow I have but I will take the coupe with me again, I know the job is important but it is my pleasure my car, I work hard and study hard, need that.
PS: If you have some price (I take US and CAD)
Of AWD S, AWD, RWD S and RWD G37 with 100 000km-200 000km, the year can start to 2008-9
I was planning on 9 000 CAD (with negociation etc) but after research I think it will be 1K more

you'd better have some extra $$$ set aside - a $9k G37 will probably have some issues.

the only ones in that price range are well north of 100k miles.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Chabsun

100K miles is not a problem if the car have good schedule of reparation,If it is some minor issue to I can live with to.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chabsun
100K miles is not a problem if the car have good schedule of reparation,If it is some minor issue to I can live with to.
make sure you don't blow all your money on the car and be broke and unable to fix it if something breaks.

while these cars are pretty reliable, they aren't perfect and things wear out and need maintained/replaced when you get into the higher mileage cars.

i'm just saying, don't have G37 dreams on an Altima budget.

Quick Reply: Advisse for G37 summer 2018