Screwed up trying to swap out the springs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:33 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Screwed up trying to swap out the springs!

So today I tried changing out my springs back to stock and I got all 4 bolts out off on the front passenger side and it was a pain in the ***! On the driver side I could only remove 1 bolt, I tried taking out the other 3 and they were stripped or too rusted to even come out. I tried using WD40, torching it and still nothing. One of the bolts were halfway screwed out but won't screw back in!!

So I have a question 2 of the bolts aren't screwed all the way. I plan on taking it to the shop because I can't deal with it anymore. Would it be okay for me to drive 5 miles or so with the 2 bolts not screwed in all the way? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know about you but I'd rather have it towed than potentially create other problems. You don't have a roadside assistance membership like AAA?

UCLAg37
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM
Splunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try blaster brand penetration spray. Let it soak for a bit.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splunk
Try blaster brand penetration spray. Let it soak for a bit.
So I tightened up all the bolts except for the one with the yellow circle, that one won't unscrew or screw on. I have no idea what to do! I'm thinking of driving to the shop with it a little loose but not sure if thats a good idea. Should I just cut off the bolt and add a new one?
Attached Thumbnails Screwed up trying to swap out the springs!-boltremoval.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Splunk

What are you using to take them off?

1. Use an impact wrench. There should be zero problems if you use the correct socket and the impact wrench.

2. If you have already managed to "strip" (I am guessing the bolt head) then you really don't have any choice but to cut them. Are you using the incorrect size socket? Why are they stripping?

3. If you don't have an impact wrench use a pipe for an extension to your wrench for leverage.

4. If all else fails and your bolts are that seized I don't think that going 5 miles is going to be a problem. Your obviously taking the risk of it coming off, but the worst that can happen is that your suspension fails and your riding on tire.... Worst case scenario your only out 2-3k in parts.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

What are you using to take them off?

1. Use an impact wrench. There should be zero problems if you use the correct socket and the impact wrench.

2. If you have already managed to "strip" (I am guessing the bolt head) then you really don't have any choice but to cut them. Are you using the incorrect size socket? Why are they stripping?

3. If you don't have an impact wrench use a pipe for an extension to your wrench for leverage.

4. If all else fails and your bolts are that seized I don't think that going 5 miles is going to be a problem. Your obviously taking the risk of it coming off, but the worst that can happen is that your suspension fails and your riding on tire.... Worst case scenario your only out 2-3k in parts.

Used an impact wrench with the correct socket, when I try removing it the other side starts to spin as well. I hold the bolt on the other side with a wrench while using the impact wrench, still nothing! I might just go ahead and cut it off, Is the picture I showed the control arm bolt? I might have to go to the dealership and pick up the right bolt, or go to the hardware store. Also the bolts aren't really stripped. I just feel like the impact wrench im using isnt strong enough.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Splunk

Try a breaker bar. Get a good distance and give it hell.

Wedge a crescent or whatever you are using on the rear so that it holds when you rotate the other side.

I have a steel pipe I use for pain in the *** bolts.
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (07-31-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Wedge a crescent or whatever you are using on the rear so that it holds when you rotate the other side.

I GOT IT OUT!!!!! Holy hell that was hard, the bolt was completely rusted! Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

I got one more question do I have to remove this back platr to remove the strut? My backplate is different feom the guides
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
No, you don't have to. Those are for the steering stopper. Either push down on the rotor enough to remove the strut or better yet, disconnect the sway bar end links to allow more movement.
Dan G37 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NealP
No, you don't have to. Those are for the steering stopper. Either push down on the rotor enough to remove the strut or better yet, disconnect the sway bar end links to allow more movement.
Oooh I see, yeah I think I have to disconnect the sway bar end links because the strut aint going no where. Do you have a picture of the location of the links?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Here's a pic
Dan G37 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NealP
Here's a pic
Thank you! It looks like my sway bar has a clip in it to prevent it from bolting out, I'll send a pic.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dan G37
Thank you! It looks like my sway bar has a clip in it to prevent it from bolting out, I'll send a pic.
Nevermind was looking at the wrong part LOL
Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM
funeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for rounded or rusted bolts, try this,Irwin 5 pcs. bolt grip base set W38918 - Read 2 Reviews on Irwin #W38918

I once rounded one of the small nut on the top of the struct, it is in a tight space because I have struct bar. when I put the tool on, it loose right off. Autozone wouldn't let me borrow it, I just bought it for $20, but worth to keep it.