Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

'11 G37s clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
'11 G37s clutch problems

I have a 2011 G37s 6mt with 50k miles

This weekend I took about a 4 hour trip from Houston to Dallas and back. When we were arriving in Dallas my girlfriend was driving. The first light we stopped at (after almost 3 hours of straight highway driving) the clutch had almost no pressure in it, she couldn't get it into gear at all. After pressing the clutch a few times she was able to get it into 2nd and took off slowly. Luckily we were very close to our destination so we made it after a few more issues getting into the various gears.

It was fairly late at night, so I didn't do anything to the car. The next day I drove the car several times and had no problems. Sunday I drove the car a few times during the day with no problems as well.

Last night I drove all the way back and after driving for about 3 hours I got off the highway to go home and the same thing happened. There was almost no pressure in the clutch, sometimes the pedal wouldn't even come all the way out. With the clutch pressed all the way down it would barely get into gear and then the clutch would catch within the first inch of releasing the pedal.

I know there has been problems with the clutch assist spring, but this definitely isn't that. Could it be my clutch already? could it be a slave cylinder or transmission oil?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Are you able to find any leaks?

If so, I believe you need to replace the slave cylinder.

If not, check your clutch fluid and if you notice sediment/dirt in there, probably want to do a flush and it is a sign of a bad master cylinder. Based on what I've read, you may be able to get away with just flushing the fluid but if the problem persists and there is still no sign of any leaks, you will probably need a new master cylinder.

My slave cylinder went a few weeks ago and I experienced the same problem as you. Did a hard pull in first year and when I shifted into 2nd, there was maybe 20% pressure in my clutch and it wouldn't come back up. Fortunately I was able to engage gears and coast home for the most part. As soon as I got home, my clutch surprisingly went back to normal but proved to completely fail after I re-checked a couple hours later. Clutch went straight to floor and no pressure again. Found a leak and my slave had to be replaced.

As a quick disclaimer though: this is just what I recall off the top of my head from researching my own problem a couple weeks back.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Originally Posted by axis.
Are you able to find any leaks?

If so, I believe you need to replace the slave cylinder.

If not, check your clutch fluid and if you notice sediment/dirt in there, probably want to do a flush and it is a sign of a bad master cylinder. Based on what I've read, you may be able to get away with just flushing the fluid but if the problem persists and there is still no sign of any leaks, you will probably need a new master cylinder.

My slave cylinder went a few weeks ago and I experienced the same problem as you. Did a hard pull in first year and when I shifted into 2nd, there was maybe 20% pressure in my clutch and it wouldn't come back up. Fortunately I was able to engage gears and coast home for the most part. As soon as I got home, my clutch surprisingly went back to normal but proved to completely fail after I re-checked a couple hours later. Clutch went straight to floor and no pressure again. Found a leak and my slave had to be replaced.

As a quick disclaimer though: this is just what I recall off the top of my head from researching my own problem a couple weeks back.

Hope this helps!
I didnt notice any leaking, but I didnt really look. I will check fluids later today.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Clutch fluid was low. Now it seems to be better.

I will check again in a day or 2 to see if there is a leak.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Im reviving my thread.

It happened again after a long, highway drive of ~3 hours. Clutch had basically no pressure, struggled a lot to get into gear. I checked my fluids and this time the brake/clutch fluid is fine.

What else could it be? air in the lines? I haven't changed brake/clutch fluid since I bought the car a couple years ago.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
why do u reference brake/clutch fluid together in regards to ur clutch issue?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Just because the clutch fluid is brake fluid. Maybe I should have just stuck to clutch fluid.

Last edited by Rybitron; 06-22-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2017, 01:35 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think cheapest possible solution is to bleed/replace the fluid. Air in lines is possible and I believe a proper flush may help the issue - might want to do a bit of research on that though.

If that still fails, might have to replace the Master which will be a bit more pricey so you may want to consult your local Infiniti tech for more information

Take what I'm saying with a handful of a salt
Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Rybitron
Just because the clutch fluid is brake fluid. Maybe I should have just stuck to clutch fluid.
yea save ur energy lol no need to extra typing
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Rybitron
Is there another type of clutch fluid that's not brake fluid?