General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Infiniti Airbag and Seat Belt Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Infiniti Airbag and Seat Belt Warranty

Like others, I have had my passenger airbag light illuminate and de-illuminate (made up word?) when smaller adult passengers are in the seat. I've noticed for a while, when nothing is in the passenger seat the light will turn on and off. No rhyme or reason, and the lamp will glow for a couple min, the go out for a few min.

Dropped her off at the dealer for the O2 sensor light and i asked the tech to take a look at the issue. The tech came back and said the sensor is malfunctioning. No codes, but I assume he was able to replicate the issue. Come to find out, the sensor is not sold separately, and I would have to purchase a new seat at a jaw dropping price of $8,400.00.

I thought that there was a government mandated warranty for seat belts and airbags for 10 years? Am I wrong?

Let me know guys
Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
primary restraint system components such as seatbelt retractors and buckles are covered for 10years. unless there is an indication of collision which causes buckles or retractors not to operate properly after the deployment of built in pretensioners which then voids the warranty. airbags are considered supplemental restraint systems so the warranty of those components don't fall under primary restraint systems. your seat recognition detection sys is not considered an airbag, it is just a sensor to detect if a minor child is occupying the front passenger seat. if you have extended warranty or if you frequent the dealer for services and repairs in the past they may goodwill the component. good luck
Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
primary restraint system components such as seatbelt retractors and buckles are covered for 10years. unless there is an indication of collision which causes buckles or retractors not to operate properly after the deployment of built in pretensioners which then voids the warranty. airbags are considered supplemental restraint systems so the warranty of those components don't fall under primary restraint systems. your seat recognition detection sys is not considered an airbag, it is just a sensor to detect if a minor child is occupying the front passenger seat. if you have extended warranty or if you frequent the dealer for services and repairs in the past they may goodwill the component. good luck
I have an extended warranty through Allstate, they won't cover it. I've had just under $10 grand in work done at the dealer, all through Allstate thankfully, and they are certainly not stepping up the foot the bill. My service advisor has confirmed, if I am in a collision where the front passenger airbag would deploy and if the sensor is malfunctioning at the time of impact, the airbag will not deploy.

Thanks for the input! I