Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ford turbo on g37x ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM
karma37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford turbo on g37x ?

I have recently recieved a turbo i believe it was off of a ford fusion. I would like some advice as far as what other parts i would need (recomended brands etc) to install this on my 2012 g37x . Also if any body knows more about this turbo i tried researching some specs on it . i have a stock motor so less psi woukd probally match with the stock motor so i dont damage anything. Thanks for any advice heres a picture of it

Ford turbo .
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Your exhaust manifolds will be the biggest hurdle as it will need to clear the passenger diff. Besides that you will need to fabricate everything needed to run a single turbo on a V6. If you have the materials, welding skill, tools, and time then all you need to do is pull the engine, fab the exhaust manifolds and down pipes, then plumb the oil inlet and return, tap lines for the water inlet and return (if that turbo is equipped with it), piece together piping for your intercooler, install an intercooler, set up your waste-gate control means unless your going with a set PSI, get your ECU retuned, upgrade your injectors to match the target HP, most likely upgrade your fuel pump, drink a six pack and admire your work. I'm sure I forgot something in there but that covers the major bases I think.

I get the desire. I have like five different t28 turbos sitting around my garage from other builds, but dropping a turbo into a G isn't that easy as it never came with a turbo variant and next to no one wants to just sell exhaust manifolds for turbo swaps yet; so you are fairly limited in your turbo builds if you don't have money, time, skill, knowledge, tools, and materials. The AWD also makes it a little tough as most kits are made for the RWD and do not account for our front differental.

There is word of a VR exhaust adapter being made that should allow us to swap over the stock GTR turbos and it should fit as the VR uses the same front diff we do; so it might clear. The only fear is the VR has a taller deck height so that 20mm might be something we need to have that adapter and exhaust+turbo clear the diff. If it did it would make turbo swaps for the AWD VQ (and all VQs) much more viable (read cheaper and easier for the DIYer) as GTR stock turbos and manifolds go for like $400-600 each. From there it's just downpipe, intercooler, oil+water lines, GTR injectors, tune and go.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Good info there^^

From the sound of it OP, you have a lot to learn before thinking about boost. I recommend reading the "forced induction for noobs" thread from beginning to end at the least. Then maybe go look at some turbo build threads on the 370z boards. The G boards are great for bolt-ons but aren't very active with boost. You can learn a ton from the 370z boards if you're interested in learning.

370z Forced Induction for Noobs... - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 05-17-2017, 12:19 PM
karma37

Yes i am currently researching more on forced induction and i read that one you mentioned . Alot of great info yes i have a lot to learn also my engine has 100k miles on it . Havent had any mechanical issues with it other than wear and tear maintance . Any services or work i shoukd do to an engine with this milage before starting the process of this build ?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
I would forget about that turbo. None of the turbos available on the fusion will be appropriate to run on our engine. And even if it was appropriately sized, you would be a lot better off with an aftermarket turbo that had a more standardized packaging.

Also, building a turbo kit from scratch for a G is very much not for the beginner. I intend no offense, but your questions indicate a beginner - so a beginner project is a much better way to learn.
The following users liked this post:
Waste86 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
scrap it, start a smaller project
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazyirish
I would forget about that turbo. None of the turbos available on the fusion will be appropriate to run on our engine. And even if it was appropriately sized, you would be a lot better off with an aftermarket turbo that had a more standardized packaging.

Also, building a turbo kit from scratch for a G is very much not for the beginner. I intend no offense, but your questions indicate a beginner - so a beginner project is a much better way to learn.

Everything this guy said. There is a <1% chance that the turbo is sized appropriately for our engine. Like someone else mentioned, there is someone trying to get GTR turbos to work, which he was putting his engine back in last I checked. There is also the CJ Motorsports turbo exhaust headers if you wanted to do a diy piece by piece. Both of those options would require you sourcing an intercooler and doing all the piping, which is not easy.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Kris9884

There's a lot to know about forced induction but if there's one thing you should read up on, its turbo sizing and getting the right size for your build.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
karma37

Thanks for all the great advice. Yes i understand that i wpuld put in all this time money and effort to be dissapointed bc i used the wrong size turbo.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Kris9884

Yep. When in doubt, go bigger
Old 05-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Put your hands in the air and back away from the turbo. Slowly.