Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Leaking window? Water coming around window seals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Leaking window? Water coming around window seals?

My car has developed a leak on the passenger window area just above the door tweeter. When it rains, or when snow melts, water makes it in between the A pillar and the weather stripping, trickles down the part of the door that can't be seen with the door closed (and the side of the dash), gets onto the rubber piece that covers the pinch weld in the door opening, gets under the plastic trim/scuff plate on the lower edge of the door opening and goes under the carpet.

Earlier this year, I removed a the glove box, dash side panel, vent, and looked for leaks where the sunroof drain goes through the firewall (no problems here). I removed the interior door panel, drove around for a few months and watched the water drip down the tweeter. I adjusted the stops as to raise the window a little bit, no improvement. The weather stripping is not cracked or ripped, nor is it heavily deformed.

I was hoping you would suggest some new areas to look at. I am not sure how water is getting between the weather stripping and A pillar. I am not convinced that new weather stripping will even solve the problem.

I'll snap some pictures soon.

I've read and re-read the following threads. Some have similar symptoms but the root causes they find haven't applied to my car.
G37 Sunroof Drain Tube Leak
2008 G Coupe Driver Side Window Leak
The Infamous Water Leak After Storm on Driver Side
Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

The upper red box in the first image shows where I believe the water enters the interior of the car. It is getting inbetween the weather stripping and A pillar/rubber that separates the beige interior from the weather stripping.

There is typically water on the side of the dash with the two downward arrows.

The seam along the forward vertical edge of the door weather stripping is often wet.

The lower red box is also wet after a rain fail (as shown). Water usually travels under the plastic trim and under the carpet. with the recent hard rainfall, I actually had some come on top of the carpet (as shown).

Water travels down along the metal and pools in this low spot (I've removed the foam for clean up). Some of the water gets soaked into the grey sound padding, but it is not wet further up even when checked from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking window? Water coming around window seals?-20170507_123201e.jpg   Leaking window? Water coming around window seals?-20170507_123341e.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Pull the rubber gasket off the frame and resnap it back on and apply detailer spray on it to keep it from dry rotting
Old 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM
sbowden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this exact problem and had to replace all the weatherstripping to solve it. I think the rubber compresses over the years and eventually becomes too squashed to make a tight seal.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:11 AM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Shin Etsu silicone grease (or similar) is your friend with the rubber weatherstrip. Honda Part #08798-9013. Apply regularly to keep the rubber soft around doors, windows, sunroof, and trunk. Just a thin coating will suffice.

OP, thats an awful lot of water. You should check the firewall plug again. Water is funneling into that location from more than just your window.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:16 PM
sbowden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Available on amazon! Thanks for the tip.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Pull the rubber gasket off the frame and resnap it back on and apply detailer spray on it to keep it from dry rotting
Will try this, any advice for removing the adhesive without tearing the weather stripping?

Originally Posted by sbowden99
I had this exact problem and had to replace all the weatherstripping to solve it. I think the rubber compresses over the years and eventually becomes too squashed to make a tight seal.
Hmmmph, time to start getting quotes for oem parts :|

Originally Posted by dwb993
Shin Etsu silicone grease (or similar) is your friend with the rubber weatherstrip. Honda Part #08798-9013. Apply regularly to keep the rubber soft around doors, windows, sunroof, and trunk. Just a thin coating will suffice.

OP, thats an awful lot of water. You should check the firewall plug again. Water is funneling into that location from more than just your window.
Will check the firewall plug again. Any tips? last time I poked all side and saw minimal movement. It looks very tight. I think i even tried pouring water around the area after bagging off the cabin air inlet. (also old cabin air filter did not show signs of being repeatedly soaked.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:44 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump

I;m having an issue with my driver side window going up to high. I've reset my windows and still does the same. I have to be really careful when I close the door also because I have hit the outside door trim and chipped my paint. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? Will adjusting the window down a little make a bigger problem?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

I checked my sunroof drains with some edge trimmer (weed wacker) cable. I pulled back some of the dash trim around the glove box and could see the cable as it reached the firewall pass through piece. The cable went freely to the firewall plug but could not pass through. The firewall pass through piece is not just a straight opening, just after the firewall there is a piece of plastic that would require the cable to make a 90 degree bend. The picture below shows what the engine compartment side of the plug looks like. Water has no problem making such a bend. Given that water always drained out well and didn't back up, and the difficult with making changes to the firewall pass through piece, I stopped investigating this route.

Firewall pass through piece as viewed from the engine compartment side. The hole is in the center and any cable or string would be blocked. Water seems to flow nicely for me.
Picture taken from here:

New weather stripping has solved my leak issues on both the passenger and drivers side. I did one side at a time and verified that it resolved the problem. Best place for new weather stripping was https://www.amayama.com/en ($135 CAD shipped to my door in April 2018).
Driver's side pn: 76861 JL00A
Passenger side pn: 76860 JL00A

Removal was straight forward, pop off the two plastic clips at the ends of the strip, and slowly peel it away. Some of the original adhesive was stuck on the B pillar, so I used 3M adhesive remover to get it off. It is really aggressive, so spray on a cloth and not directly onto the paint/car. The new stripping comes with adhesive and clips in all the right places. I put the weather stripping into place and secured it to the metal lip on the top and rear edges, closed the door to confirm good placement, then pulled the plastic release liners off the adhesive (with the door still closed). I did the rear corner seal first as there is was gummy tar-like blob there that had the biggest void to fill.

I could not find any obvious faults with the old weather stripping. The biggest difference between the old and new weather strip was the softness of the old one right above the door tweeters.

Last edited by Dough1397; 08-25-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Clean up presentation
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-01-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey dough1937,

Reviving an old thread. Im having the same issue with my driver’s side. It’s not the sunroof drain (replaced that anyway). The water is following the same line as your picture displays. Did you ever get that fixed?

ive replaced both the weather stripping on the door and above the window on my coupe. Havent replaced the one that surrounds the opening yet. It’s still leaking. Im about to drill holes into the body to drain the constant leak.

did you replace ALL 3 weather strips? Did it work?
Old 08-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Hi Infin88, replacing the seal above the window (starts near the side Mirror and follows the glass all the way to the B pillar, sits entirely on the body of the car) worked for me. I have not noticed water the months following the repair.

I haven’t checked recently (haven’t been cleaning my car nearly as much). Will report back after the next rainfall.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:57 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397
Hi Infin88, replacing the seal above the window (starts near the side Mirror and follows the glass all the way to the B pillar, sits entirely on the body of the car) worked for me. I have not noticed water the months following the repair.

I haven’t checked recently (haven’t been cleaning my car nearly as much). Will report back after the next rainfall.
Any updates?
Old 11-04-2020, 07:33 AM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe replacing the seal above the window did actually work for me too. That seal is pricey though; ended up ordering from a website in japan for the cheapese price : blackhawkjapan

but Mstrike, ya gotta remember the to test to see if it’s the seals or the sunroof drain

edit, thanks to dough1397!
The following 2 users liked this post by Infin88:
Dough1397 (11-04-2020), MStrike (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MStrike
Any updates?
Oh shoot, sorry checked but forgot to reply, it's been nice and dry!

Originally Posted by Infin88
I believe replacing the seal above the window did actually work for me too. That seal is pricey though; ended up ordering from a website in japan for the cheapese price : blackhawkjapan

but Mstrike, ya gotta remember the to test to see if it’s the seals or the sunroof drain

Great, I am happy to hear your resolved your leak!
Thanks for the new parts site, I've never heard balckhawkjapan, but will keep them in mind in the future.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Infin88

I made an updated post over here if you would like to check it out!

Quick Reply: Leaking window? Water coming around window seals?