Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Debadging with new paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Debadging with new paint job?

So my G recently got a new paint job. I'm wondering, if I were to debadge her, would it look fine? Or would the new layer of paint/clear be distinguishable from the old layer and look poorly?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 AM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Depends

on if they removed the emblems before paint and re applied them after or if they just masked them off and sprayed the panel if they just masked the emblem and sprayed it it will not look nice to say it nicely
Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lucasmdemele
on if they removed the emblems before paint and re applied them after or if they just masked them off and sprayed the panel if they just masked the emblem and sprayed it it will not look nice to say it nicely
Yeah, this question was under the assumption that they didn't. :/ Do others agree?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 PM
canadian bacon

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I would play it safe and leave it alone..my 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:21 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unless it was a jank paint job, they removed the emblems, as it would harder/impossible to paint around them.

debadge it. Perfect time to do so.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Whitevanman
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
they would of taken them off, mine were removed just for detailing.....
Old 04-29-2017, 06:43 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Yup turns out you guys were right. They were removed. Gonna proceed. Thanks guys
Old 05-06-2017, 07:32 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Soo, because the shop told me they removed the badges before painting, I proceeded with the debadging today. I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive. The badges and the adhesive came off fairly easy. However, to my surprise, I noticed that the area around the badges had changed colors!! It became a very light red. It didn't go back to normal.. It seems as though the heat caused some sort of chemical reaction. I have a feeling that this happened because the paint the shop used was of low quality. I certainly didn't abuse the heat gun.

I then realized that the paint in between the badges was normal and unaffected. And that there appeared to be a perfect outline encompassing the badges. This lead me to believe that this is the factory paint and that they must've covered the letters as a whole, rather than individually, which would've been much more doable.

The only thing throwing me off is that I don't feel anything when rubbing my finger from the light area to the normal area. It's seamless. Either way. I'm very upset about the paint changing colors. Do you guys think it can be polished back to normal or it would need to be repainted?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Told u

to leave it alone that they probably masked it off and indeed they did now the only way to correct this problem the right way is to have your trunklid re sprayed or u could put a bandaid back on it (your emblems)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:49 AM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^👍👍👍yep