Sponsored By:

Thinking About Moving On

Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Thinking About Moving On

Hey Guys,

Hope this isn't a waste of space but I value your opinions. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time, mostly because I'm starting to get a little luke-warm on my car. It's a 2012x coupe 7AT approaching 70k miles. Mods are in my signature but I've pretty much taken it as far as I can (or want) to go at this point. Without being mechanically proficient forced induction is out.

I don't need a new car, but I've been looking at Camaros and the Chevy SS (super underrated) and have been feeling the itch. I've always wanted a V8 and I'm considering learning manual on whatever comes next. Only problem is I drive hundreds of miles for work every month because I'm in sales and I'm a little afraid of how long it would take to get proficient enough to drive safely and reliably as well as sit in the large amount of traffic I deal with every day. I want to learn manual but perhaps it's better left for a weekend car in the future? I would have access to my G though since it's modded and a dealer isn't going to want the trade in. That gives me time to learn (and also gives me higher monthly payments but that's another story).

Anyway, TLDR- getting pretty tired of my G and thinking about moving onto something more powerful. You guys have any suggestions for what to buy next and how to approach the auto vs manual situation? Or even how to mix things up with my current car and freshen it up. I do live in NJ so dealing with RWD in the snow is also a concern- not sure if anyone can speak to that.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
M5 dual clutch!!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just buy some pilot sport a/s3+ or get a set of winters. Domestics are going to be worse in the snow.
With the power if you're not satisfied you got nothing left but to go FI.

These cars depreciate pretty crappy so if you're selling get ready to take a hit. What's your budget? new, old? With 3 nissans under my belt I had to cross over to the german side and never looked back.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Just grab a 5-6MT for <5,000 and teach yourself on that first. As you're learning, part out your stuff on the forum and by the time everything sells (or just about sells) you will probably be comfortable enough with a MT to get the V8 you want. During that time, you retain the G as a just in case scenario in the event you don't feel comfortable taking the MT or whatever. Give yourself 6 months, everyday, you'll be there.

Get the V8 and pick up a beater Subaru Forester with dedicated snow tires and you're set.

P.S. The SS is a bloated pig. Roll the 5.0 Coyote around and the difference in handling and visibility is un-questionable.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
M5 dual clutch!!
Haha a cool car but absolutely no way, not for that kind of money.

I mentioned the camaro and SS for a reason. I was thinking closer to 40k really.

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
Just buy some pilot sport a/s3+ or get a set of winters. Domestics are going to be worse in the snow.
With the power if you're not satisfied you got nothing left but to go FI.

These cars depreciate pretty crappy so if you're selling get ready to take a hit. What's your budget? new, old? With 3 nissans under my belt I had to cross over to the german side and never looked back.
Yeah, FI is defintely out of the question. Nothing against it, but adding a kit and the headaches that comes with is a no-go for me. Used or new is fine. Like I said above, I'm more comfortable in the 40k range. The crappy depreciation is one of the reasons I was thinking of off-loading the G now. At 70k it might still be desirable to a few people.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Just grab a 5-6MT for <5,000 and teach yourself on that first. As you're learning, part out your stuff on the forum and by the time everything sells (or just about sells) you will probably be comfortable enough with a MT to get the V8 you want. During that time, you retain the G as a just in case scenario in the event you don't feel comfortable taking the MT or whatever. Give yourself 6 months, everyday, you'll be there.

Get the V8 and pick up a beater Subaru Forester with dedicated snow tires and you're set.

P.S. The SS is a bloated pig. Roll the 5.0 Coyote around and the difference in handling and visibility is un-questionable.
Not a bad idea. I've toyed with the idea of getting a beater to learn on before. Only issue to deal with then is storage since I own my G and don't have any payments to make. To your point on the SS, I assume you mean the Camaro and not the Chevy SS since you're comparing it to the Mustang. Are you sure about that? I've been hearing great things about the more recent model year camaros.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:51 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Yes, I should've clarified. I love the look of the new Camaros 2016+. but they didn't do much to cure the blindspots and land barge feel. It's fast, no doubt, but it didn't feel as sharp and precise as the 5.0 when I drove it. There were a couple lane changes where I had to damn near break my neck checking blind spots and my mirrors to see if anything was beside me. The mustang, I could bust a U-turn no problem and even got the rear end loose for fun but felt in complete control.

Dude, if you can find a SS I'd go for it. Has a lot of awesome features like Mag suspension - it's a modern day G8. No complaints there lol. From what I hear though, Manuals can be tough to find.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
If you want a manual, get a manual

Every single one of us had to learn, and yeah, there is a period you will suck, but you'll get the hang of it. Start off on residential roads--lots of stop signs and 1-2 shifts. Then move on to secondary roads at night and within a few days you'll be good enough to get around.

I had to have the salesman drive me home in my first manual car, then drive him back in my parents car that was 20 years ago
The following users liked this post:
canucklehead (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Every single one of us had to learn, and yeah, there is a period you will suck, but you'll get the hang of it. Start off on residential roads--lots of stop signs and 1-2 shifts. Then move on to secondary roads at night and within a few days you'll be good enough to get around.

I had to have the salesman drive me home in my first manual car, then drive him back in my parents car that was 20 years ago
Good advice right here^^^Brings back memories to that 67 VW bug that I put through hell getting my clutch work handled back in 1976
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Camaro SS is probably the only American car I'd buy right now. If you're thinking of sticking with awd for NJ winters, try test driving the Focus RS, 2015+ WRX or Evo X. Nevertheless, we all know the grip hierarchy: rwd with A/S < awd with A/S < rwd with winters < awd with winters. One question that I'd ask is what kind of aftermarket community is there for the SS? From my understanding, you won't be able to do much in terms of adding power so you'll end up in the same place with a different car, albeit you'll have considerably more power on tap.

As for getting a 6mt, it'll be the best decision you ever made in the car world. I bought my G in PA and had my roommate drive it back with me. He taught me how to operate it that afternoon and the rest is history. Just do it.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:24 PM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Good advice right here^^^Brings back memories to that 67 VW bug that I put through hell getting my clutch work handled back in 1976
That is great advice. I bought an 88 CRX for $500 from a classmate many years ago for that purpose. Took me a month to get the hang of everything. I donated the car and bought an 89 CRX Si and converted it to JDM spec. No one could tell I had only been driving a manual for a month. Doesn't take long to learn and for a really nice head start, look at some YouTube videos.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yes, I should've clarified. I love the look of the new Camaros 2016+. but they didn't do much to cure the blindspots and land barge feel. It's fast, no doubt, but it didn't feel as sharp and precise as the 5.0 when I drove it. There were a couple lane changes where I had to damn near break my neck checking blind spots and my mirrors to see if anything was beside me. The mustang, I could bust a U-turn no problem and even got the rear end loose for fun but felt in complete control.

Dude, if you can find a SS I'd go for it. Has a lot of awesome features like Mag suspension - it's a modern day G8. No complaints there lol. From what I hear though, Manuals can be tough to find.
Ahh, I see, good to know. I hadn't even considered the mustang. I've always been a fan of the LS motors (and now LT1) and GM platform but I'll put the mustang in the mix. Yeah the SS is really cool. I test drove one the other day but unfortunately there was a lot of traffic and I didn't get to open her up. The LS3 sounds nasty even at stock though. Pretty impressive interior as well. OF course the one I drove was brand new with 32 miles on it and 50k before tax is a little steep for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:32 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kickintheglass
Camaro SS is probably the only American car I'd buy right now. If you're thinking of sticking with awd for NJ winters, try test driving the Focus RS, 2015+ WRX or Evo X. Nevertheless, we all know the grip hierarchy: rwd with A/S < awd with A/S < rwd with winters < awd with winters. One question that I'd ask is what kind of aftermarket community is there for the SS? From my understanding, you won't be able to do much in terms of adding power so you'll end up in the same place with a different car, albeit you'll have considerably more power on tap.

As for getting a 6mt, it'll be the best decision you ever made in the car world. I bought my G in PA and had my roommate drive it back with me. He taught me how to operate it that afternoon and the rest is history. Just do it.
It does seem like the Chevy SS is limited in potential. Like you said though, you start with an LS3 that's gonna make more power stock than my modded car. The thing the SS has going for it is that it's just such a sleeper. The interior is a great place to be and an upgrade in tech for sure. The Camaro is in the mix if I decide to lean ever more towards performance and want to give up a few perks. Even so, cars come with a lot of **** in them now that would have been premium adders just a few years ago. I completely forgot the Focus RS is a thing. I've heard they can make pretty decent power gains with simple changes and a good tune.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Haha I figured I'd get massive support for going the 6MT route. I definitely want to get the stick. I'm sure I can adapt relatively quickly. I know it's not comparable but I'm at least familiar with the mechanics of it based on my team using the "manual" mode in my car and osmosis through my buddy in his manual 350Z and FRS. I took a work friend's old beat up VW bug through a few gears once but that's been my only exposure to actual seat time with a stick.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:32 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
The new camaro chassis is great. The car itself however is very impractical. Trunk ingress/egress is terrible (not to mention actual trunk space). Rear seats are a decoration at best. Visibility has been improved from the previous gen but still needs work.

The 6.2L engine is quite thirsty too. IIRc it requires premium too.

That said, it's an excellent car is you can deal with the above limitations. I test drove a '16 MY 2SS and was very impressed with the driveability. The clutch is well designed with good feel and natural uptake position (where it starts to grab). Required effort to depress is less than the g37 clutch. The 6mt models also have automatic downshift rev (like the 370z's).

If money is not an issue, consider the cad ATS-V - similar chassis but more practical and comes with 4 doors.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

If money is not an issue, consider the cad ATS-V - similar chassis but more practical and comes with 4 doors.
And they're depreciating like a brick! Over on the ATS-V forums people are talking about residuals in the low 50s.

There are some base 2016 (no carbon fiber or performance recorder) with <10k for sale in the mid-upper 40s

Search this Thread