Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

for those with urethane diff bushings

Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoer
This shouldnt be an issue then. I was worried the front bushings might be pressed in or otherwise difficult to remove. I also have a shudder when i accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd which im hoping is from the diff drive angle and flipping the bushings will correct it.
I think you're on the right track here. Yeah the bushings are not pressed in like the OEM at all..they just (almost) loosely sit in the mount. Maybe because there is less flex in them than rubber it doesn't matter as much but really, who knows.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you didnt have the vibrations since the day the bushings were installed then its probably not the driveshaft indexing thats the problem. How old is your carrier bearing? I would suspect it if its been awhile after the bushing replacement when it suddenly started vibrating. I read how a bunch of people changed to the whiteline bushings and subsequently had to replace the carrier bearing.

If you do decide to reindex the shaft dont remove all the bolts at once. Remove all but one then with one hand pull it out enough to rotate the shaft with the other hand then slip the bolt back in. This way you wont lose your index starting position. Also you may want to mark the one bolt in case its more than a day until you try another rotation.

A word of caution about doing this in your garage. You do need to jack the car up and then put the car in nuetral as well as let off the hand brake or the shaft wont rotate. This is a very precarious situation for a DIY mechanic to be in so make sure youre using jack stands and i would suggest also using chocks on the front wheels.
I never replace my carrier bearing, car has 98k miles. anyway I can tell tat is the carrier bearing that went bad by visual inspection or some other ways?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
If you can unbolt the carrier bearing from the car and drop it down enough to let it spin freely - it should be virtually silent. If it makes noise, replace it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crazyirish:
Baadnewsburr (04-20-2017), xxg00w0 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok so i got under the car saturday afternoon and flipped the bushings, and thank the car gods it fixed it!! Had to unbolt one side of the sway bar to get to the bolts, and unbolt the driveshaft from the diff for it to drop enough though. All of the shudder is completely gone and the lash out vibration when slowing down has only happened once and was so minor i barely felt it.

The only if in the whole thing was i rotated the drive shaft and diff trying to find line up marks and couldnt so im pretty sure its indexed in a different spot than before. I doubt it made any difference though.

This should be a sticky note at the top of the forums as a warning to anyone who uses the whiteline bushings. Im yet another in a line of people who had to install the bushings in reverse to avoid vibrations.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Ok so i got under the car saturday afternoon and flipped the bushings, and thank the car gods it fixed it!!
Can you explain "flipped the bushings" please?

I'm having the diff bushings replaced with Whitelines in a couple of days, and if there's an optimal orientation, I'd like to go over that with my mechanic.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
In for this
Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
Can you explain "flipped the bushings" please?

I'm having the diff bushings replaced with Whitelines in a couple of days, and if there's an optimal orientation, I'd like to go over that with my mechanic.
the two front bushings consist of two poly pieces and a metal shaft each. one of the poly pieces is thicker than the other. when you assemble them you can put the thicker pieces on top with the thinner pieces on the bottom or vice versa. the orientation in the whiteline instructions say thicker on bottom, but appears to be wrong for the 2nd gen G perhaps because the kit was designed for the first gen Gs ....i can't remember what mine are at, lol, i'll look when i can but it may be a while, in the meantime perhaps OP can advise on the current orientation of his.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Ok so i got under the car saturday afternoon and flipped the bushings, and thank the car gods it fixed it!! Had to unbolt one side of the sway bar to get to the bolts, and unbolt the driveshaft from the diff for it to drop enough though. All of the shudder is completely gone and the lash out vibration when slowing down has only happened once and was so minor i barely felt it.

The only if in the whole thing was i rotated the drive shaft and diff trying to find line up marks and couldnt so im pretty sure its indexed in a different spot than before. I doubt it made any difference though.

This should be a sticky note at the top of the forums as a warning to anyone who uses the whiteline bushings. Im yet another in a line of people who had to install the bushings in reverse to avoid vibrations.

glad to hear this!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
when you assemble them you can put the thicker pieces on top with the thinner pieces on the bottom or vice versa. the orientation in the whiteline instructions say thicker on bottom, but appears to be wrong for the 2nd gen G perhaps because the kit was designed for the first gen Gs
I'm going to have to scramble today to get solid on this, before tomorrow's install. Thank you, Hashim.

Anyone else want to confirm this thick-piece-on-top advice?

The instructions even underline things for emphasis, and says: "Push in position the 2 smaller vertical mount bushings from the top, and the two larger vertical mount bushings from the bottom."

Last edited by Rochester; 04-25-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the two front bushings consist of two poly pieces and a metal shaft each. one of the poly pieces is thicker than the other. when you assemble them you can put the thicker pieces on top with the thinner pieces on the bottom or vice versa. the orientation in the whiteline instructions say thicker on bottom, but appears to be wrong for the 2nd gen G perhaps because the kit was designed for the first gen Gs ....i can't remember what mine are at, lol, i'll look when i can but it may be a while, in the meantime perhaps OP can advise on the current orientation of his.
Hashim is correct, i flipped mine to the taller part on top and thinner on bottom.

I spent days scouring the internet trying to figure out what the vibrations could be from and found the same details Hashim did. The whiteline bushings are not built for the G37, im not even sure if they were technically made for the G35 either. I think they are strictly intended for the 350Z, maybe the 370Z too. The install instructions are meant for the correct application not the G37. Somewhere on this board is a thread with pics of a guy who DIYed the bushings and then started having the vibration too. A discussion started in the thread about flipping them to fix the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by nogoer:
Krzysztof47 (11-14-2021), Rochester (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Thanks, nogoer!

Lego_Maniac reminded me about this DIY thread, and this concensus here about flipping the bushings for the G37 6MT:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post3622690

I'd read that years ago, even thanked TVPostSound's opening comment. Go figure.

...and my mechanic just rescheduled this for next week. So no more pressure. Still, it was great timing, running across this thread. I usually don't hang in the Coupe forum.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
:

The instructions even underline things for emphasis, and says: "Push in position the 2 smaller vertical mount bushings from the top, and the two larger vertical mount bushings from the bottom."
Yeah I remember scratching my head reading this in the instructions and seeing posts about it when i installed mine....I thought they might have updated the instructions since the older threads on this. Apparently not.

Nogoer is probably right, it was probably only designed for the 350z and didn't take into account the different pinion angle of the Gs
Old 04-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah I remember scratching my head reading this in the instructions and seeing posts about it when i installed mine....I thought they might have updated the instructions since the older threads on this. Apparently not.

Nogoer is probably right, it was probably only designed for the 350z and didn't take into account the different pinion angle of the Gs
Although KDT-911, the package and the instructions are specifically marked for the 350Z. So yeah, that's kind of weird. Been almost a whole decade, LOL.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Let me see if I can find my instructions for my super pro bushings.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I used this video.

Here are the instructions, however these are for a 350z. I do not have any vibrations and I did the DIY. Their site might be havng server issues, it's really slow right now. But trust me, it will load.

http://imageapi.partsdb.com.au/api/I...a5CGG1bMXJs%3D
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonesmeister11:
Rochester (04-26-2017), The Pope (04-26-2017)

Search this Thread