Brake light flashes when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Datez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light flashes when shifting

I have a 2008 G37S 6 spd, I've noticed that when I shift while going a bit fast, my brake light flashes during the gear change. Anyone know why that is? Also, a few times my traction control turned off on its own while cruising on the highway around 85mph, and the traction lights stayed on the entire time. Is that normal?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Check your brake fluid level, sounds like it might be low. Not sure on the traction control issue, maybe the switch is faulty.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Check your brake fluid level, sounds like it might be low. Not sure on the traction control issue, maybe the switch is faulty.
I think the traction control is connected/integrated with the braking system... I know the traction control will disengage if the rear brake pads are too thin/out of spec which may also be why his brake fluid level is low...could be way off but when I first got my G I destroyed my rear pads after a track day and had this issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:16 AM
rdog
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the same issue with the brake light....topping off the brake fluid fixed it for me.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Datez

I checked the fluids a week or so ago. I was extremely low on clutch fluid, but the brake fluid didn't need topping off. I will check again when I'm off work. As for the rear brakes, I suspect I may need new brakes since mine squeak when I press them as I reverse. I cant find a way to clearly check the amount of meat left on my pads with these types of calipers though. Is there an easier way than taking the brake calipers and pads apart?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Datez
I checked the fluids a week or so ago. I was extremely low on clutch fluid, but the brake fluid didn't need topping off. I will check again when I'm off work. As for the rear brakes, I suspect I may need new brakes since mine squeak when I press them as I reverse. I cant find a way to clearly check the amount of meat left on my pads with these types of calipers though. Is there an easier way than taking the brake calipers and pads apart?
Since you have the Akebonos you should be able to gauge the depth of the pads without taking the calipers apart through the top and bottom of the caliper...try using a small mirror placed beside the rotor or on the inner wheel well if you cant get into viewing position properly...depending on your wheels you may be able to see it without even taking your wheel off if you do it this way (from the rotor side)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Datez

I am still having the same issues with the Brake light coming on every I shift from 1-4 when I'm driving a bit more aggressively. I checked the brake fluid, it was perfectly fine, I check brake pads, they seem to have sufficient amounts of padding left, I am not sure what it is. Would the dealer scan my ECU for free? MAybe that can tell me the problem?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
ECU scan won't tell anything on the brake light. If the fluid is good, then it might be the switch in the reservoir.

Last edited by stealthee; 05-05-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect