Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Overheating when idling

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Overheating when idling

Can anyone chime in as to why my G overheats when idling? It's never done this before. Today I was parked outside my buddy's house and I noticed that the thermostat meter was almost 3/4 up. I live in Florida and the temperature was around 95 degrees when this happened. It seems to be worse when the AC is on. I checked my coolant and it was about 1/3 full. I checked under my car and engine bay and there appeared to be no leaks. Once I start driving the meter goes down and when I floor it, it seems to go down faster. I'm hoping that it might be a bad thermostat sensor. Worst case scenario is a blown head gasket. Could it be caused by running too lean from the gen3 intakes and test pipes? Maybe the fan blades have gone bad or the exhaust cooked my wires? Any advice is appreciated. The last thing I want to do is drive around in this heat with no ac and my windows down with my system up in a straight piped G (the stereotypical G coupe owner)

Last edited by Yellafella; 04-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
If there's no leaks it's probably the radiator.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
If there's no leaks it's probably the radiator.
That sounds expensive :-(. Is it normal for a radiator to go out at 60k miles?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

There also seemed to be a noticeable increase in fuel consumption. Averaged 17.8 driving civilized since I filled up today in moderate traffic.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 PM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
May be air in the coolant lines.
There should be diy's on how to check and fix...
Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
check to see if your thermostat is opening and if the cooling fans are coming on. sounds like either you are not getting enough air flow because the fan motors aren't coming on or perhaps no coolant flow because your thermostat is stuck. if you are not qualified to perform the above tasks then i would suggest you taking it to a shop.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:32 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellafella
Can anyone chime in as to why my G overheats when idling? It's never done this before. Today I was parked outside my buddy's house and I noticed that the thermostat meter was almost 3/4 up. I live in Florida and the temperature was around 95 degrees when this happened. It seems to be worse when the AC is on. I checked my coolant and it was about 1/3 full. I checked under my car and engine bay and there appeared to be no leaks. Once I start driving the meter goes down and when I floor it, it seems to go down faster. I'm hoping that it might be a bad thermostat sensor. Worst case scenario is a blown head gasket. Could it be caused by running too lean from the gen3 intakes and test pipes? Maybe the fan blades have gone bad or the exhaust cooked my wires? Any advice is appreciated. The last thing I want to do is drive around in this heat with no ac and my windows down with my system up in a straight piped G (the stereotypical G coupe owner)
Follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM for your vehicle.
Are the fans running?
Did you check the coolant with the engine cold? Possible air in the system?
Defective thermostat?, Radiator Cap?, clogged radiator?, failing water pump?

Telcoman
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
You said the radiator was only 1/3 full? There's your problem... Fill it with coolant. Otherwise, it cools off while driving because air is running through the radiator. If it heats up while sitting it tends to mean the fans are not coming on, they are there to replicate driving and air flowing through the radiator. If its a cracked radiator, its a fairly easy swap with basic tools. Or, you can pay the dealer $1500 to do it for ya.
The following users liked this post:
Jamil2635 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
check to see if your thermostat is opening and if the cooling fans are coming on. sounds like either you are not getting enough air flow because the fan motors aren't coming on or perhaps no coolant flow because your thermostat is stuck. if you are not qualified to perform the above tasks then i would suggest you taking it to a shop.
Yeah, I'm gonna take it to my buddy's shop for a detailed inspection tomorrow to find out what's going on. Thanks for your input ill keep them in mind when I tell him the possible problems.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
Follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM for your vehicle.
Are the fans running?
Did you check the coolant with the engine cold? Possible air in the system?
Defective thermostat?, Radiator Cap?, clogged radiator?, failing water pump?

Telcoman
I drained and topped off coolant in both the reservoir and radiator and yet I am still having the same probelm. So at this point I'm assuming its the fans or air bubbles in the cooling system. I'm really hoping its not a clogged radiator and I don't even know what a water pump is 🙃🔫
Old 04-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
You said the radiator was only 1/3 full? There's your problem... Fill it with coolant. Otherwise, it cools off while driving because air is running through the radiator. If it heats up while sitting it tends to mean the fans are not coming on, they are there to replicate driving and air flowing through the radiator. If its a cracked radiator, its a fairly easy swap with basic tools. Or, you can pay the dealer $1500 to do it for ya.
No, the coolant reservoir was 1/3 full my bad. I topped off coolant in both the radiator and reservoir though and still have the same problem. So yeah my assumptions are leading to the fans not working as well considering the car cools the faster I go and the more I floor it. Leave it to Nissan to make a vehicle that cools down the faster you drive right
Old 04-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
No, the coolant reservoir was 1/3 full my bad. I topped off coolant in both the radiator and reservoir though and still have the same problem. So yeah my assumptions are leading to the fans not working as well considering the car cools the faster I go and the more I floor it. Leave it to Nissan to make a vehicle that cools down the faster you drive right
Pretty much any car with a radiator does that
Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
On a cold engine remove the radiator cap
Start the vehicle and observe the coolant level.
As the engine warms up to normal operating temperature keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator. Add the proper coolant as needed. Turn on the air conditioning and both fans should be running. Does the engine overheat with a full radiator?
If so and the fans are running and you got air bubbles out then the culprit may be the water pump or a clogged radiator.
Did you ever do a search for the FSM, section CO and follow the overheating troubleshooting steps?

Telcoman
Old 04-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You did bleed the radiator right
Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Pretty much any car with a radiator does that