G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I feel ashamed of myself ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I have paddle shifters in my auto and wouldn't have it any other way. Add a Trans-Go shift kit and cooler like me and you'll be shifting faster than any of the other manual guys. You got the better option in my opinion...

Also, checkout "Lt8Che" youtube video of his auto, it scootsssss.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kris9884:
gill1606 (04-04-2017), Lt8Che (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
its not about being faster. its about the experience. isnt that why u guys with auto do manual mode? for the added experience right?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
You should absolutely feel ashamed of yourself.

Tens of MT drives look down upon you.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
This is just going to be another one of those "automatic vs. manual" discussions where fanboys and haters are going to get butthurt about people choosing one over the other. The difference between automatic and manual has evolved in the last 20 years. Back then, manual transmissions were offered because they were less expensive, easier to engineer, and more fuel efficient. Technology simply wasn't there. Driving enthusiasts liked the manual transmission because they were able to control the car more fully, and engage with it, giving them a more "pure", "raw", and "enjoyable" (subjective) driving experience. This is probably the reason manual transmissions still exist today, although sparsely. Automatics, on the other hand, are more widely used today because they are more fuel efficient (nowadays), quicker shifting, and smarter than the average driver. This is why supercars like Ferrari and Lamborghini have ditched the manual gearbox. There is so much technology and engineering in their automatic/dual-cluch transmissions that the human driver cannot match through manual input (optimized shifting points/near-instantaneous gear changes). As far as our cars are concerned, Infiniti chose to offer both automatic and manual for both sides of the driver spectrum: those who want a more laid-back, traditional driving experience and those who want a more spirited driving experience. There are reasons to own either one and there is no wrong choice here.

/rant
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (04-04-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i think u should be ashamed if u wanted a manual and found a manual but went with an auto instead for whatever reason and now wish that u got the manual instead lol. now that ****s crazy. but if u went in wanting an auto and bought an auto then ur good to go. u got wat u wanted
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

its interesting that some people think the dual clutch trans in the gtr and supercars are the same as their auto trans
Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
its interesting that some people think the dual clutch trans in the gtr and supercars are the same as their auto trans
They're not, I know. I was just using them as en example of how automatic transmissions have evolved and why they're used instead of manuals.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Yoowho
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dont think anyone was saying it was the same on here? i used it as a point of reference that some people would want to bash on others for choosing an auto instead of a manual because their views that manual is always better no matter the reason. It really shouldn't matter what transmission someone has as long as they themselves were comfortable with the choice they made.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

shhhh...i was referring to the other guys lol
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoowho
lets put it this way. The Nissan GT-R (obviously infiniti is a Nissan too) only comes in manual because its automatic shifting is just that good and has the paddles of course too. Also, all supercars are built the same way. If manual was so much better than why do they not have the option. Throw that in their face and watch them get offended. Though, I enjoy the car for what it is and no matter what transmission you have, its still a dope car and they should appreciate it for that.
Actually porsche got so many complaints from real auto enthusiasts they brought back the manual transmission. Superior or not, three pedals for me. Always. Electric has proven to be way more powerful than gas, but I'd never have one. I prefer old school sound and shifting. Sometimes technology isn't better....
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Yoowho
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
Actually porsche got so many complaints from real auto enthusiasts they brought back the manual transmission. Superior or not, three pedals for me. Always. Electric has proven to be way more powerful than gas, but I'd never have one. I prefer old school sound and shifting. Sometimes technology isn't better....
that is true, I mean I have no hate either way. But manual is definitely more fun too. Mine is an auto with paddles though because I'd rather not deal with driving it on ridiculously steep hills and constant traffic haha
soundkillr (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
its not about being faster. its about the experience. isnt that why u guys with auto do manual mode? for the added experience right?
i use the paddles for:
- snow driving, for more control
- down shifting to slow down when blowing by a cop so i don't light up the brake lights
- when i'm bored

no regrets buying an auto. the "experience" i do not want is creeping through the tunnels into the city during rush hour in a manual everyday. that would not be a fun experience.

previous cars were turbo'd, so full boost during shifts is a bonus for auto and SST transmissions.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
dont like auto.. doesnt feel at all like im piloting the car... its like drag racing versus road course...
anyone can go straight... theres more driving in turns..
of course this is just my opinion..
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I have the 7AT and manual mode takes over when I'm bored or driving in the snow on back roads. I brake using the engine rather than getting on my breaks too much. I only threshold brake as it is so if I need more stopping power I downshift quickly. Also, in traffic it's a God send.

Manuals just put you more in touch with the car and makes for a more engaging experience. Some people could give a rat's a*ss if they're shifting, others like the feel. It's really preference.

As for the poster (I won't call you out) stating something about auto drivers trying to act "cool" while driving fast - lol wtf are you talking about?? I see more teenage kids and early 20s adults driving BRZs, SIs, G35s and Cobalt SSs like jack asses and downshifting in order to "showoff" their exhaust. You do realize all super cars and professional drivers perform with automatics. You will never be able to out shift them and it allows the driver to be focused on driving at high rates of speed with both hands on the wheel; allowing for max control. SST and double clutch systems are becoming more popular each year. Quite a few companies have adapted the tech and offer it in affordable vehicles, not just super cars. A 30K Evo will smoke you in stock form simply because it shifts faster than any human could. Hell, I'd even argue a Ralliart would pull in stock form.

I understand the pleasure of driving a standard from a purist standpoint but for the love of God stop the pea cocking. Sound like a hypocrite talking about how a manual makes you superior because you're an enthusiast and that's the way it was meant to be as you enjoy your LSD, ABS, back up camera, HIDS....
Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
So after all of that, I'd say we can all agree its a drivers choice. If its what you like, you win.
micafd3s (03-31-2017)