Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Water Leak Corner Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:47 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Water Leak Corner Tweeters

I am having a constant issue with my coupe window systems. It appears that the driver's side window does not fully shut flush with the door weather seal and body. There is a 1MM gap. Not only is there a large amount of wind noise, but now there is a water leak. Water is leaking through the corner tweeters on both the driver's and passenger sides.

1. I have performed the window reset procedure. The wind noise has been reduced but is still prevalent

2. If I take apart the door panel and adjust the glass higher with the leveling screws will this solve the water leak issue?

3. If #2 does not solve the issue, do I need to buy new corner seals? If so, which of these parts do I need to buy?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Do you hear any wind noise from the windows? If so if could need to be adjusted as you stated.
This may also be a seal issue. I believe that would be items 4 and 6 on the figure above.

On my 03 G35 I had a leak in that area and it was a seal.
On my 12 G37 I had a leak in that area and the window needed adjusting.

For the later there was also elevated wind noise.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM
steven92

There is a visible 1 MM gap between the glass and the roof line on the driver's side. No visible gap on the passenger side.

Should I raise and adjust both windows, if the leak does not go away then replace the seals? Is replacing the seals a complicated process, should I take this to the dealer?
Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 PM
steven92

Someone please advise............This seems to be a common design flaw with all coupes. My warranty expired 6K miles ago
Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 AM
JustVinceB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny this is a new thread, put my car in the shop a week ago thinking it would be a one day fix -_-. Not sure what all they are replacing but luckily im still under warrenty and have a decent Q50 sedan loaner. I had water coming in on both sides above the tweeter as well so i figured i would toss it in the shop while it was covered

Will follow up once i get it back from the dealer....wish me luck
Old 11-03-2016, 04:00 PM
DJMAC

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It is most likely the seal that resides on the car frame, There is a plastic part that holds it in place. I posted about this awhile back. I just wedged some plastic tabs behind it so it makes clear contact with the window.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
If there is a visible gap, then that is most likely an adjustment issue. You could try the window reset procedure.
1. Push the ignition switch to the ON position.--- 2. Close the door.--- 3. Open the window completely by operating the power window switch.-- 4. Pull the power window switch and hold it to close the window, and then hold the switch more than 3 seconds after the window is closed completely.--- 5. Release the power window switch. Operate the window by the automatic function to confirm the initialization is complete.

If that doesn't work, you may need to have it adjusted. That's usually only the case if the door was ever taken apart.
That shouldn't be a great amount of labor to get fixed out of warranty.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:26 PM
sbowden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this exact problem. The dealer replaced the entire seal around the windows, including the rigid backing. Thankfully, most of it was comped.