MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   Not your standard Spoiler question (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/274442-not-your-standard-spoiler-question.html)

rhanslik 03-24-2016 01:59 AM

Not your standard Spoiler question

I broke my 2008 G37S coupe factory installed spoiler and brake light (the real spoiler not the little chrome lid lip). I want to replace them and make it like it was with OEM parts. Looking at the Infiniti parts web sites I'm going to be paying through the nose. A unpainted spoiler with camera cut-out (96032JL20H) goes for $400-$550 and a brake light (26590JL02A) for about $300-$400.

I've seen these factory spoiler kits on eBay and discussed here. They are around $300 and they come with a brake light. I haven't found any with my white paint code of QX1 but I figure if I have to paint a factory one anyways I can just change the color of the one I get out of one of these kits. Spray can primer and spray can QX1 paint should cover up the old paint. Agreed?

Second question lies in whether the spoilers out of these kits are the same ones that are put on in the factory. Maybe the factory method in 2008 for securing a spoiler to a truck lid was different which would lead to a different part # of the spoiler itself. Will it be a one for one swap? I get the impression these kits were made for dealers to put on post 2008 model year cars. Or I might just be overthinking it. Anybody with insight on this?

NickyP 03-24-2016 08:33 AM

If you find a spray can of QX1, let me know. I've tried finding it before with no luck.

Now, as far as using that to paint a spoiler on the car, you'd probably want to remove the paint completely from the spoiler before repainting and it will never look as good from a spray can as from an actual paint shop. Also, just keep an eye out on Ebay, there was one about 2 weeks ago in our color (no camera hole) for coupe, unfortunately it did have a crack in it so I passed. I have seen some with the hole, as well, but QX1 does seem a bit tougher to get.

G37sGraphite 03-24-2016 08:55 AM

"ESTORE2016" to save 25%.

Infiniti Discount OEM Parts and Accessories

Shows around 389.00 ....buy the OEM spoiler.
Fitment is in question with anything else.
This is a 1 time cost....dont try to save less than 100 bucks.

Kris9884 03-24-2016 09:15 AM

I'd say either go with what G37Graphite offered or find a used one in your color or at least a used one and paint it. No need to buy brand new if your on a budget.

Kris9884 03-24-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NickyP (Post 4010081)
If you find a spray can of QX1, let me know. I've tried finding it before with no luck.

Now, as far as using that to paint a spoiler on the car, you'd probably want to remove the paint completely from the spoiler before repainting and it will never look as good from a spray can as from an actual paint shop. Also, just keep an eye out on Ebay, there was one about 2 weeks ago in our color (no camera hole) for coupe, unfortunately it did have a crack in it so I passed. I have seen some with the hole, as well, but QX1 does seem a bit tougher to get.

One of the local O'riellys auto parts stores will paint match and fill a can. Just remove your gas door and bring it in, they use a laser matching machine and mix it up while you stand there. Either way I would call around and have it professionally painted. Something that small would be really cheap.

Ryne 03-24-2016 09:51 AM

Doing something cheap twice is almost always more expensive than doing it right the first time.

G37sGraphite 03-24-2016 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ryne (Post 4010108)
Doing something cheap twice is almost always more expensive than doing it right the first time.

This is truth ^^^ made that mistake a dozen times! :biggthumpup:

G-thirty7X 03-24-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite (Post 4010110)
This is truth ^^^ made that mistake a dozen times! :biggthumpup:

I've learned this lesson and still continue to make this mistake! :banghead: