Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Cleaning MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
No, but it won't hurt if you do.
always worry that by disconnecting the battery I will get high RPM at Idle the first time I install my DRL I disconnected the battery I got 12k RPM at idle ended up have to bring it back to dealer to fix it $$$$
Old 03-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by xxg00w0
always worry that by disconnecting the battery I will get high RPM at Idle the first time I install my DRL I disconnected the battery I got 12k RPM at idle ended up have to bring it back to dealer to fix it $$$$
12k RPM at idle, that's pretty impressive!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ttt

Reviving this thread for a quick response and see if anyone else has had this problem. About 3 weeks ago my 2009 G started to act up and stutter but only at idle, I took it to a mechanic and his ran a code and informed me that it was a misfire but could determine in which cylinder because he didn't have the right scanner for it. I had an extra Ignition coil from a previous MOD and I started to change out one by one to find out which cylinder it could be. Well it idled pretty much the same but it did stop the stutter. But last night as I was driving on the freeway it started to stutter again really bad, so I got off the freeway and pulled into a parking lot and drove it slowly noticing that the car wasn't shifting when it was supposed to. So I manually shifted back home really slow and it would bog down at idle almost turning off once i pressed the gas lightly. I borrowed a bluetooth scanner from my neighbor and ran it and it gave me a P0101 (MAF) code. I found this thread and went out and bought some CRC and new air filters after I saw how torn up the pass side was and cleaned them out and now the car seems to be running ok (still idling a little rough) but I have not driven except around my neighborhood. Has anyone seen or experienced this? I just want to find out if I went the right way before I spend more money then I have too. (See pictures below)

Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Wow. How long were those filters on? Please let us know what brand those garbage air filters were so no one else here buys them. A blowout like that should never happen, and the wrinkling of pleats on the other side is really bad as well.

As for the fix, If the car doesn't give you any problems, it's fixed. The maf code was probably caused by the torn filter causing anomalous readings.
The following users liked this post:
vdpinc01 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
Wow. How long were those filters on? Please let us know what brand those garbage air filters were so no one else here buys them. A blowout like that should never happen, and the wrinkling of pleats on the other side is really bad as well.

As for the fix, If the car doesn't give you any problems, it's fixed. The maf code was probably caused by the torn filter causing anomalous readings.
I honestly don't remember what brand they were, I bought them about a year and 3 months ago. (my bad) I do remember they were about 15 bucks ea though so I thought i was getting a decent set of air filters. I normally go with Fram or something aftermarket but that time they didn't have any in stock and figured I would change them out sooner. But hey, Life a way finds a way to get in front.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Victory
Registered Member

They look an awful lot like the pentius filters In my mothers EX. Just checked them and the pleats are a little wavy, but nowhere near that bad (then again, my 67yo mother isn't known for going WOT all over the place). I think I'll replace them sooner than later anyway.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

They look an awful lot like the pentius filters In my mothers EX. Just checked them and the pleats are a little wavy, but nowhere near that bad (then again, my 67yo mother isn't known for going WOT all over the place). I think I'll replace them sooner than later anyway.
I almost want to say that they were WIX filters. That is sticking out to me right now. But I'm going to do some running around in a couple of hours and I'll update the results.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vdpinc01
I almost want to say that they were WIX filters. That is sticking out to me right now. But I'm going to do some running around in a couple of hours and I'll update the results.
Wix filters are yellow filter medium with orange surrounds. I've used them before (NAPA Gold store brand) and they're actually top notch.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:27 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I honestly don't remember what brand they were, I bought them about a year and 3 months ago. (my bad) I do remember they were about 15 bucks ea though so I thought i was getting a decent set of air filters. I normally go with Fram or something aftermarket but that time they didn't have any in stock and figured I would change them out sooner. But hey, Life a way finds a way to get in front.

Thanks for your feedback.
I only use OEM Air Filters

Cleaning MAF Sensor-ntcqqhp.jpg

Buy cheap and you'll buy twice.

I change my air filters every 10k miles

Takes 3 minutes to replace both of them

Telcoman
Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
I only use OEM Air Filters

Buy cheap and you'll buy twice.

I change my air filters every 10k miles

Takes 3 minutes to replace both of them

Telcoman
Or just buy a set of washable high-flow panels and break even with telcoman after 20k miles.

I see no reason here to spend $50 on a set of OEM filters and replace them 3x as frequently as the recommended service interval. Maybe a good reason to avoid no-name filters of foreign origin, but I've never seen an air filter of reputable manufacture blow apart like that or even perform significantly different than a factory one.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 AM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Wix filters are yellow filter medium with orange surrounds. I've used them before (NAPA Gold store brand) and they're actually top notch.
SO I drove my car around for a while tonight. Not as much as I did all day yesterday but for about maybe an hour and all seemed to be working well. Like I said, the idle is still a little bit rough but all is good again.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 AM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

I was actually thinking of going with an aftermarket set in my next go around with this. What would you guys recommend?
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 AM
Victory
Registered Member

SO I drove my car around for a while tonight. Not as much as I did all day yesterday but for about maybe an hour and all seemed to be working well. Like I said, the idle is still a little bit rough but all is good again.

Thanks again for your input.
The slightly rough idle is pretty typical for these cars. I've done all the things that allegedly help: cleaned the throttle bodies, maf sensors, fresh transmission fluid, everything helps to some degree. Frankly, a bottle of techron in the gas tank helped as well as anything.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Victory
Registered Member

I was actually thinking of going with an aftermarket set in my next go around with this. What would you guys recommend?
I always end up puting a reusable dry panel filter in eventually. I currently have the r2c panels. I just vacuum them out every so often when im cleaning the car.

For paper filters, i usually use Napa Gold, which is a store-branded wix filter.
The following users liked this post:
vdpinc01 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

The slightly rough idle is pretty typical for these cars. I've done all the things that allegedly help: cleaned the throttle bodies, maf sensors, fresh transmission fluid, everything helps to some degree. Frankly, a bottle of techron in the gas tank helped as well as anything.
OK, I've always been kinda skidish about additives in the fuel tank but I may try it out.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cleaning MAF Sensor