Centric Rotors for G37 Sport | StopTech vs Hawk HPS pads

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 AM
steez

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Centric Rotors for G37 Sport | StopTech vs Hawk HPS pads

I have the G37 Sport.
My rear rotor was not able to be resurfaced so I need to replace them.
I see a lot of people here recommend the Centric Premiums.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=Sport+Model

Is it worth the extra money for the Cryo Treated Rotors?
Any other options for the rotors I should look into ?

I also see a lot of people with the StopTech pads.
I have the Hawk HPS *Street* Pads -- no dust issues here.
Just wondering if anyone has used both.
I think I'll try out the StopTech's next time I need pads and compare them.

Last edited by steez; 12-10-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:06 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by steez
I have the G37 Sport.
My rear rotor was not able to be resurfaced so I need to replace them.
I see a lot of people here recommend the Centric Premiums.

Is it worth the extra money for the Cryo Treated Rotors?
Any other options for the rotors I should look into ?

I also see a lot of people with the StopTech pads.
I have the Hawk HPS -- no dust issues here.
Just wondering if anyone has used both.
I think I'll try out the StopTech's next time I need pads and compare them.
The premiums are worth it just for the black coating on the rotor hat to prevent rust. I ran these on my 07' GTI for 2 years and had zero issues. They were great rotors.

Edit: sorry, thought you were comparing the standard c-tek and the premiums. Not sure what the difference is in the premium and the premium cryotek's
Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I have... well I came from the StopTech street series and migrated to the Hawk HPS 5.0 (I had HPS+ on a previous car and wasn't all that impressed by dusting).

The StopTech's dust quite a bit, but have a great initial bite. The problem is that they market them as 'street', but they tend to leave a lot of residue on the rotor surface that over time can build up and become it's own bonded metallic composition on the rotor. This causes lateral run-out. The cure? Heating up the brakes and getting on them in a aggressive manner pretty often, almost like a mini-brake pad break in procedure. I grew tired of this and made the switch to Hawk 5.0's after hearing so much great things from friends and reading rave reviews online.

After almost 8 months of the 5.0s...they have much less dust, not as much initial bite, but the linear/progressive nature of the pedal feel, bite, and behavior is great match to my own driving (spirited, but daily commuter). I'm running Centric Premium rotors, with the StopTechs i had Akebono rotors, so perhaps it was just an odd combination, but I had them resurfaced before putting the StopTechs on.

Basically, I feel the 5.0's excel in almost all the categories I'm concerned with, but aren't the best of the best in any particular one, which is fine with me when it comes to finding a lasting brake pad/rotor combination that doesn't have cause quick brake pad wear or lateral runout (what some mistakenly call 'warping'). Lateral runout with rotors with sport brakes and heck even on this car w/ base brakes, seems to be a way too common occurrence. It does make me wonder if people understand that after running the car spiritedly, you should cool the brakes and if you have to come to a stop, not to lay on the brakes...gradually scoot forwards on them, not letting the pad have a chance to burn into the surface of the rotor.

If those cryo centric premium blanks were around when I got new rotors late last year, I would have ponied up for them. They're a new option from Centric. They've historically always done the e-coat (black) around the hub face and stuff, but the cryo is new to me. It used to be a costly, mainly custom, saved for high-end rotor option 8-10 years ago. Zinc coating is something else out there that you see offered too. I ran my centrics (non cryo) through the winter while daily driving my coupe and it saw plenty of salt,chemicals... the e-coat alone has held up very well.

By the way, Centric is the parent company of StopTech, in case you didn't know. Here's some info on the cryo treatment these rotors receive. http://www.stoptech.com/products/rot...treated-rotors

If you don't plan to resurface these rotors down the line and try to get the most use out of them (sounds like from your OP you are willing to get the process done), the the cryo process wd prob be a waste. However, one could benefit from the hardening the cryo treatment does in terms of resilience to lateral runout, but that would probably be touted as an attribute on the sales sheet if it was the case.

edit:

Found this option a little cheaper, but maybe you prefer the backing of TireRack, which I can understand.
Amazon.com: NEW CENTRIC 120.42101CRY Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive Amazon.com: NEW CENTRIC 120.42101CRY Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive

Make sure to check out autoanything.com and rockauto. The cryo option might not be on either though.

Last edited by krazyfiend; 12-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by krazyfiend:
blnewt (12-10-2015), Dough1397 (12-12-2015), Goonz (12-10-2015), therzdae (12-11-2015), thezinfan (05-18-2019)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
steez

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I realized there is the 5.0 Street Pads AND the HPS Street pads.
I have the HPS street pads.
I would have gotten the 5.0 if I knew about them though.
I'll have to get the 5.0 pads next time!

Thanks for the Amazon link too.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:05 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by steez
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I realized there is the 5.0 Street Pads AND the HPS Street pads.
I have the HPS street pads.
I would have gotten the 5.0 if I knew about them though.
I'll have to get the 5.0 pads next time!

Thanks for the Amazon link too.
You're welcome! You'll be just fine, after my exp with the ST SS, I would opt for HPS over them too.

Perhaps others can chime in on the topic of Cryo and High Carbon options being worth it or not. I'm certainly intrigued. It seems Centric only makes the fronts in a High Carbon (and HC Cryo) offering.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
FWIW not all Infiniti applications are available w/ the 5.0 Hawk pads, at least not yet. I know the big Sport brakes are available, but not sure on the base coupe & base Sedan setups.

BTW, nice reply krazyfiend, that's been my experience too w/ the Stoptech Pads, have to be careful not to keep the brakes on after hot runs as the pads will transfer pretty easy to the rotors.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm currently running stoptech drilled rotors and the 5.0 pads, I'm about a month into having them installed. So far I like the setup though I can't tell how much brake dust I have since my gunmetal winter wheels are on. In any case, the setup is a hundred fold better than the stock setup, I know blnewt above mentioned back when I was researching to try the plain old centric rotors but I went the drilled rotors route for aesthetic purposes.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Literally what I just ordered. I did a decent amount of research and this setup seems to be most favored.

I went for the Cryo treated and got the Hawk 5.0's all around.

I saved $100 on the set ordering through Nissan | Infiniti | Toyota | Mitsubishi | Subaru | Scion |Performance Parts, Race Parts, Upgrades, and Accessories
you can message him on the forums here, his name is just importpartspro