Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

long tube headers, shorty headers with hfc, or nothing at all?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:56 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
long tube headers, shorty headers with hfc, or nothing at all?

Hey everyone!

So I'm at the point now where I'm looking to change my exhaust setup again. I'm not looking for some miracle as far as gains but would like a nice sound. I'm looking at either one of two set ups:

First and my initial hope was to pair the fast intentions long tube headers with my soon to be installed fast intentions exhaust. I understand this will create a very loud exhaust sound and a rasp. I'm hoping the 18" resonated exhaust will help a bit with the noise. I also understand if any, most of the gains on this will be top end. As long as i don't lose any on bottom end I'm ok with this.

My second option would be to get standard shorty headers (not quite sure what brand, possibly stillen?) and pair those with the fast intentions high flow cats and exhaust. I don't really know how much this setup will change from my current exhaust note or power/torque.

I get there is plenty of info on this on here and have been browsing through it for a while now but was hoping for a little more specific info regarding my specific setup wants/needs.

Any and all info on this situation is appreciated. That being said, I'm really hoping to get factual info from people who may have had setups either exactly like one of these or close to them and can give me real world info vs "possibly or i think"

Thanks in advance and I look forward to everyone's input!

p.s. all i really have that may affect the stock note currently is stillen gen 3's. I do plan on either getting an aftermarket intake manifold (z1 or md) and or the throttle body and intake mod from synolimit---any info from his mods are appreciated too. Finally, after all this I'm going to get a tune, ECUTEK or UPREV, I'll save that for another discussion though... Thanks!!

Last edited by beers64; 03-23-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: didnt want to come off sounding like a ****
Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM
beers64

Any info would be much appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
You won't see much gains with just an exhaust. Go with what you think sounds best. Long tube headers would make it loud and probably add some decent amounts of rasp, along with no longer being street legal if that's a concern for you. From what I understand shorties give us next to nothing in terms of untuned hp and are a pita to install. If you're set on FI, just grab the catback and their RHFCs and then you'll have a nice sounding setup with a few extra ponies. That's the most I can give you without being a "random opinion." Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
beers64 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM
beers64

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
You won't see much gains with just an exhaust. Go with what you think sounds best. Long tube headers would make it loud and probably add some decent amounts of rasp, along with no longer being street legal if that's a concern for you. From what I understand shorties give us next to nothing in terms of untuned hp and are a pita to install. If you're set on FI, just grab the catback and their RHFCs and then you'll have a nice sounding setup with a few extra ponies. That's the most I can give you without being a "random opinion." Good luck.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Do you think either of those would be a better option since I plan on getting a tune in the future? Not terribly concerned with street legal as in CA HFC's are technically illegal too. I may be concerned about rasp if it ends up being terrible.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I would suggest intake + Hfc + full catback setup and a tune. Otherwise go FI or you're wasting time and money.
beers64 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM
beers64

Originally Posted by Eyeshield25
I would suggest intake + Hfc + full catback setup and a tune. Otherwise go FI or you're wasting time and money.
So you wouldn't waste the time/money on the shorter headers plus the hfc? Would just recommend hfc and stock exhaust manifold? If not, is there a specific reason why?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Our engines love boost, however unfortunately they don't respond particularly well to bolt ons. This is not terrible news though... It just means our engines were built pretty efficiently from the factory. You can get some decent hp from a catback and some HFCs because they're a little restrictive. And intakes on our car get a good hp boost (relatively, as far as intakes on cars go) because we're feeding dual throttle bodies and the stillen gen 3s/Takeda intakes actually go outside the engine bay, plus sit up in front of the car. Mind you these are both pretty much minor mods in terms of performance. What I suggest for you is one of the two following:

1) You want great full sound with a small but noticeable bump in acceleration: intake, RHFC's, and catback exhaust
2) You want a nice sound with a great boost in acceleration: Catback exhaust with rear gears (4.08 if manual/3.69 or 3.91 if auto)

Just my .02....
beers64 (03-24-2015)

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM
beers64

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
Our engines love boost, however unfortunately they don't respond particularly well to bolt ons. This is not terrible news though... It just means our engines were built pretty efficiently from the factory. You can get some decent hp from a catback and some HFCs because they're a little restrictive. And intakes on our car get a good hp boost (relatively, as far as intakes on cars go) because we're feeding dual throttle bodies and the stillen gen 3s/Takeda intakes actually go outside the engine bay, plus sit up in front of the car. Mind you these are both pretty much minor mods in terms of performance. What I suggest for you is one of the two following:

1) You want great full sound with a small but noticeable bump in acceleration: intake, RHFC's, and catback exhaust
2) You want a nice sound with a great boost in acceleration: Catback exhaust with rear gears (4.08 if manual/3.69 or 3.91 if auto)

Just my .02....
So same as previous posters, stay away from headers? Also I am definitely currently looking into gears. I have the 5at which I believe comes with 3.6 so I was looking at getting the 4.08.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Originally Posted by beers64
So same as previous posters, stay away from headers? Also I am definitely currently looking into gears. I have the 5at which I believe comes with 3.6 so I was looking at getting the 4.08.
I wouldn't say stay away from headers. I personally would stay away from LTH's because I daily my G. But as far as shorties, depends on your goals and how much $$$ you have burning a hole in your pocket. But there are more cost effective mods for the money. If I was making an NA build it would be one of the last mods I did before any serious work... IE probably something like: exhaust, gears, rhfc, intake, motordyne m370, tune...

I always forget about the 5at... Honestly I don't know what they come with. But 4.08s are my next mod. There is a lot of info on the370z.com about 4.08 gears.
beers64 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
+1

Unless you're going with a full crazy N/A build (manifold, headwork, exhaust cams, VVEL tuning, throttle bodies, tune) I wouldn't remove the OEM headers. Not enough HP to be gained to justify the labor work. Get a nice catback/hfc combo and call it a day.
beers64 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 PM
beers64

Ok great. I appreciate all the info from everyone about this. I think I'm going to get the FI high flow cats and either the FI catback or the Borla catback, not sure which one yet. And am definitely going to get 4.08 gears for my 5AT. I've been reading about it like a mad man and think i pretty much have down what I need. I'm also going for the PST CF one piece, already talked to Mark at PST, stated it would have to be a custom build and I'd have to measure the distance but that it can be done.