Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i dont understand that bmw style shift ****. if its gonna feel anything like the bmw shift ****....gay
Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Forgive me if this is ignorant because I'm not an AWD guy, but isn't infiniti's AWD system one that ony redirects torque to different wheels when slippage is detected and not a full time AWD system like Quattro?
It is. Quattro is full time AWD with a few diffs to boot. Infiniti is straight up brake manipulation.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ry0t05
I thought it was full time AWD up to 25mph, then it only "turns on" AWD when it detects slippage, like you said.

In snow mode, AWD is fully engaged up to 50mph and the gear ratios are changed or something that basically makes it slower.
My understanding is that it retards engine timing so it in effect reduces power.

Check this out. I know this is a fwd biased car but I've had first hand experience where in a rwd biased FX it did the exact same thing. I was not impressed with the 'AWD' capability after that.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I have always been told it was rwd 100% of the time and can send up to 50% to the front and can brake any wheel it needs and any time.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Regarding AWD, wrote this not too long ago. Figured I'd repost...

Originally Posted by tag824
Depends on the AWD system and if its performance oriented. A bad AWD system will hamper your ability to fully control the car. They are better off the line, but you lose a lot of control that you have in a RWD car. Some people want/need them for winter, although in my experience a RWD car with winter tires handles better than an AWD car with all season tires. There's always a price to pay, in addition to loss of control you get worse gas mileage and the car is heavier as well.

That said, Nissan can do some pretty amazing magic like AWD system in the GT-R. I don't foresee them using the same AWD system in the Q60, but they could do other things to make the Q60's AWD system better. Have to wait and see, but my $$$ is on RWD being the way to go.
Also, here's a good read on the AWD system the GT-R has. It's a totally different beast.

Nissan GT-R's Secret - ATTESA E-TS AWD System Explained
Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Forgive me if this is ignorant because I'm not an AWD guy, but isn't infiniti's AWD system one that ony redirects torque to different wheels when slippage is detected and not a full time AWD system like Quattro?
Yes, it is a reactive system with 100% RWD until slip is detected.

More Specific Info:

To control the ATTESA E-TS system, there is a 16-bit computer that monitors the cars movements 10 times per second to sense traction loss by measuring the speed of each wheel via the ABS sensors. Also a three-axis G-Sensor mounted underneath the center console feeds lateral and longitudinal inputs into a computer, which controls both the ATTESA-ETS 4WD system and the ABS system. The computer can then direct up to 50% of the power to the front wheels. When slip is detected on one of the rear wheels (a rear wheel turn 5% or more than the front wheels), the system directs torque to the front wheels which run a non-limited slip differential. Rather than locking the AWD in all the time or having a system that is "all or nothing", the ATTESA E-TS system can apportion different torque ratios to the front wheels as it sees fit. This provides the driver with an AWD vehicle that performs like a rear wheel drive vehicle in perfect conditions and can recover control when conditions aren't as perfect.

From the factory, the system is set up to provide slight oversteer in handling, and in fact the harder the car is cornered, the LESS the 4WD system engages the front wheels. This promotes the oversteer rather than understeer which is apparent in most AWD/4WD vehicles. The advantage to a more traditional ATTESA (Viscous LSD) system is response in hundredths of a second.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryne:
gill1606 (08-03-2016), twin_snails (01-21-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
The Bark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a lot of fun driving around with AWD today in some heavy snow. I had no worries and was pleasantly surprised. My understanding is in addition to sending 50% to the front wheels when slippage is detected, it also adjusts the throttle so it feels like you're starting in second gear. There is a noticeable difference on wet pavement with the snow mode on; you're not jumping the gun as quickly when hitting the gas.

Here's a video that explains it, though I'm not sure how much the new model may have changed:

Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
For you "no manual, no care" members, Shiro Nakamura says there should be a manual. In fact, he thought there was a manual on the show room floor. Can't say he was definitive, but he knew the engine options and he didn't address the manual option in a speculative sense the way he spoke about the essence.

Could there be that much of a disconnect between the engineers and designers or did he did he accidentally let out information TBA down the line? Hmmmmmmmmm.

The following 2 users liked this post by gt_performah:
Samurai (01-15-2016), User 122320 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bark
I had a lot of fun driving around with AWD today in some heavy snow. I had no worries and was pleasantly surprised. My understanding is in addition to sending 50% to the front wheels when slippage is detected, it also adjusts the throttle so it feels like you're starting in second gear. There is a noticeable difference on wet pavement with the snow mode on; you're not jumping the gun as quickly when hitting the gas.

Here's a video that explains it, though I'm not sure how much the new model may have changed:

Infiniti Intelligent All-Wheel Drive - YouTube
I would assume the AWD is similar or maybe improved in the Q60, either way, seems like it will be a good match for the hp/tq!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 PM
eljoker

Originally Posted by gt_performah
For you "no manual, no care" members, Shiro Nakamura says there should be a manual. In fact, he thought there was a manual on the show room floor. Can't say he was definitive, but he knew the engine options and he didn't address the manual option in a speculative sense the way he spoke about the essence.

Could there be that much of a disconnect between the engineers and designers or did he did he accidentally let out information TBA down the line? Hmmmmmmmmm.

Hmm. Good catch.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by gt_performah

Shiro Nakamura Interview
I would be the happiest man alive if they revealed a 6MT before release.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 AM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Q30 will have a dual clutch transmission, correct?
Will this? Or is it the standard auto/torque converter box?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM
eljoker

Originally Posted by ACoupe
The Q30 will have a dual clutch transmission, correct?
Will this? Or is it the standard auto/torque converter box?
The Q30 does have a DCT but it is a FWD unit from Benz. This is looking to have an auto/torque box.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
The Q30 does have a DCT but it is a FWD unit from Benz. This is looking to have an auto/torque box.
I am betting that you will see a DCT in year 2 or 3... Infiniti has often made mid-generation enhancements and changes like that... Perhaps there will be an IPL version where it is included
Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Don't really see a DCT anytime soon in the main stream car and I'm not sure if there will be an AMG/M/V/F competitor to warrant an all new transmission EVEN THOUGH there's a rumor that the GT-R will be getting a new 7sp - I know its a trans axle - but maybe it can be adapted and made to work in this application. MB has made it clear that they are only sharing small car parts with Nissan so their DCT ain't happening.

Quick Reply: Q60 Final Teaser - Revealed in Detroit