Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:09 PM
lumpyg37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 09. Bought it new, garage kept. Its less then 8 years old & has 53,xxx miles on it. Dash is cracking all over. Seems to be a major quality defect on 08 & 09s. I went up the ladder complaining all the way to Nissan headquarters. They wont do anything at all. I guess this is what they think quality is. They told me to keep my receipt in case anything is ever done. I'm not even going to fix it. I rather show & tell it to EVERYONE so they can see what Nissan/Infinity is all about. First time Infinity owner & last time
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 PM
MilitaryMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried using a leather vinyl wrap? I decided to wrap all my chrome trim in carbon fiber and saw a leather vinyl wrap on ebay so I ordered it since it was cheap. It actually sticks over the cracking fake leather dash and looks good over the flatter surfaces. I suck at wrapping though so I can't seem to get the lower portions or the more narrow parts around the center console. I may try having a pro wrap it and see how it turns out...
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Tbasket

I have a 2009 G37S Coupe and have not only the melting, but cracks. Contacted Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they are useless, they will not cover to replace my dash which is over $2,300 to replace. I was told because I don't take my car to the dealership for repairs why should I, I have a mechanic that works on my car that is well qualified.

This is a known issue because when I called the local dealership about 45 minutes from me, they knew exactly what I was talking about without even seeing pictures of my car and told me I needed to have my dash replaced. Most places would say we need to see your car before we can determine, but they knew right away. It is not anything new to them. Inferior product on what they call a luxury car.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Tbasket

Infiniti Customer Affairs

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Not being a safety concern and the car being 8-9 years old, Infiniti will tell us to pound sand. You could get lucky and get a discount on a replacement/install at the dealer but I have no doubt that would still run $2k+..
They could care a less when you call So Called Customer Affairs, they might as well have a recording and not even respond.

They are not going to pay for any of these dashes that are the result of inferior products that they installed. I will never buy another Nissan/Infiniti product and will make sure that I tell everyone about how sorry their products are.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:40 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbasket
They could care a less when you call So Called Customer Affairs, they might as well have a recording and not even respond.

They are not going to pay for any of these dashes that are the result of inferior products that they installed. I will never buy another Nissan/Infiniti product and will make sure that I tell everyone about how sorry their products are.
Yeah, I'm frustrated too but, I wont go as far as saying they're the worst company out there and tell my friends to avoid them. If our sticky dash or paper timing gasket is all we have to complain about 10 years later, we should be so lucky.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (05-01-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
My dash just turned a hazy white and is sticky. Anyone try some of the fixes on YouTube or the internet?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 PM
RazG
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MilitaryMedic
Has anyone tried using a leather vinyl wrap? I decided to wrap all my chrome trim in carbon fiber and saw a leather vinyl wrap on ebay so I ordered it since it was cheap. It actually sticks over the cracking fake leather dash and looks good over the flatter surfaces. I suck at wrapping though so I can't seem to get the lower portions or the more narrow parts around the center console. I may try having a pro wrap it and see how it turns out...
Did you end up wrapping the dash with vinyl? How did it come out? Im about to do the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
sev1980
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I too have this problem. And i have a 2010 EX35. It's sticky and hazy all over my dashboard.

Was there ever a fix for this?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
09 120k miles sticky at 80k.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
You guys complaining about this like it defines the level of quality of Nissan/Infiniti is hilarious. I would like to see that conversation.

Person 1: Don't buy an Infiniti!
Person 2: Why?
Person 1: Because some of the '08-'09 models have sticky dashes.
Person 2: Ummmm....okay.

Go buy an '08-'09 German luxury car and tell me the issues it has.
911turbo (01-23-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Resurrecting a thread from the dead.

My dash is looking pretty rough and I'm thinking about wrapping it in that "leather" vinyl you can get from vvivid. My main concern is the airbag deployment issue. Does anyone have information about that? Has anyone wrapped their dash with vinyl then had an airbag deploy?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg6768

My dash is looking pretty rough and I'm thinking about wrapping it in that "leather" vinyl you can get from vvivid. My main concern is the airbag deployment issue. Does anyone have information about that? Has anyone wrapped their dash with vinyl then had an airbag deploy?
The airbag deployment would rip the vinyl right off.....
dmg6768 (05-28-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 01:48 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg6768

I agree the airbag would tear vinyl open pretty easily. For peace of mind, you could score the vinyl with a razor in the approximate area of the airbag. Just score lightly, don't dig in!
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 PM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
The airbag deployment would rip the vinyl right off.....
Originally Posted by takemorepills
I agree the airbag would tear vinyl open pretty easily. For peace of mind, you could score the vinyl with a razor in the approximate area of the airbag. Just score lightly, don't dig in!

I called vvivid and they basically said the same thing. The vinyl stands no chance to interfere with airbag deployment.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:37 AM
thedanplasse

Certain Lexus' had this issue. Lexus eventually recalled all the dashes, and replaced all of them

Most were just sticky, but some actually were melting, and cracking.

Not sure if Infiniti will eventually recall these (if they haven't already)

Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008