Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

6 mt vs. 7 sp. auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
scubasteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 mt vs. 7 sp. auto

I'm in the market for a coupe (g37s or g37 w/sport package) and I've been lurking a while. I'm having difficulty deciding between 6mt or auto transmission.

Is the general opinion that the 6mt essentially needs the spring mod for more 'engaging' performance/feel and that going with the 7sp. auto is almost a crap shoot as far as how it may perform.

I started out thinking I'd want the 7 spd. auto but with all the discussions, tsb's , etc. I'm concerned about the potential for issues.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
The 7 spd is solid, no worries ... 6MT has it's own clutch issues. If it's a DD then go auto ... if it's a occasional "Fun" car then go 6MT (I'll probably get flamed for that).
Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Turbulent

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
The 7 spd is solid, no worries ... 6MT has it's own clutch issues. If it's a DD then go auto ... if it's a occasional "Fun" car then go 6MT (I'll probably get flamed for that).

I completely agree. Love my 7 spd daily.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 PM
g37man29

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got my 6mt and love it
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Forget about what the forums say about this topic... it is really quite easy to decide. Is your preference for a manual transmission or do you want automatic?

True enough, one may be less problematic than the other... but which one will give you the most satisfaction? The best thing to do is find a dealer that has both, and then test drive them back to back. See which one you like more.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Go with what you want. You are the one to drive it daily. I've had no issues with my 7 spd auto. I have a grounding kit that improved tranny shifting, but it wasn't really a problem before. The clutch issue isn't realized by everyone... What do you want?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dgey1
Go with what you want. You are the one to drive it daily. I've had no issues with my 7 spd auto. I have a grounding kit that improved tranny shifting, but it wasn't really a problem before. The clutch issue isn't realized by everyone... What do you want?
I completely agree with DGEY1. It's your money, you will be driver...why would you care what anyone else especially thinks especially on this forum. A lot of 6MT owners like myself would not or do not have any desire to drive an auto. A lot of auto drivers feel the same way about the 6MT. Then you have some auto owners that wished they had a 6MT. Bottom line.....what do you like? After all you're the one making the commitment. Now when you get the car....and you officially have the modding bug then it makes sense to get opinions.....after all opinions are like azzholes......everyone has one....!!!!
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (07-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I regret getting AT after driving a MT..
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So I traded in my '09 7AT for a 6MT sedan. I've had zero problems with either transmission. I did replace the clutch pedal on the 6MT with the RJM assembly, but that was my preference, nothing to do with reliability.

Why did I trade? I just decided that I really missed a manual. And after having the manual for almost a year, I definitely think it was worth it. Driving the 6MT is a much more engaging, fun experience. And despite the EPA estimates, I am getting a bit better mpg with the 6MT.

Greg
Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
had the 7 a/t, sold it and got a 6MT and loving every minute. if your have a 6MT dont spend time on any helper spring mod, just install the RJM clutch pedal and buy a HD CSC to install when your oem one breaks.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
There's pros and cons to both. You should drive both at length to determine what you like best. The auto has minimal learning curve, not so with the 6mt.

I've had the car now for ~2 1/2 years. After riding bikes for 2 decades, I still can't get used to the car leaning the wrong way in corners..
Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Ive had both the 6mt and 7at as DD's

I would much rather have the 7at.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I say this in every transmission thread so sorry if I sound like a broken record but, if one questions whether or not to get a manual or automatic trans then that means they never really wanted a manual in the first place. I say that because true manual enthusiasts will never ask that question when buying a car unless their left leg is either disabled or amputated.

This statement does not apply however to a manual transmission novice so if that's the case pick then pick the one you like driving best, plain and simple.
The following users liked this post:
JSolo (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM
scubasteve

Thanks for all the input. I have driven both. The 6mt did give me trouble with the 1-2 shift (I used to drive a manual RX-7). The auto just seemed a bit strange. Very low rpm at 35mph and a somewhat vicious downshift when punched (I assumed it dropped 3-4 gears). I currently drive an 02 Maxima auto so I'm familiar with engine. Then I started researching (a lot) and discovered the 6mt did have that characteristic with some owners and the comments for the 7 sp. auto were all over the place. Before test driving I assumed I'd get the manual but then I thought if I liked the auto (DS, paddle shifters, etc.) I might go that route. I'd just hate to get the auto and then experience the negative issues some have had. Regarding the 6mt I just wish I knew how the spring might improve the feel. I'm just glad some others have commented on the 6mt clutch engagement - I thought I'd lost some feeling in my left leg . I've always like the g35/37's especially the exhaust. I'll decide after another test drive.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
yenhsravkeviv
Registered Member

Not sure if you test drove a 7AT with the TSBs applied - for my '09 the harsh downshifting was mostly resolved after the last TSB (I think ITB 12-027 ?). Also not sure what year you're test driving - I believe '12 and newer came from the factory with the TSBs applied, so '12 and newer you should be fine, otherwise ask you dealer to make sure they were updated.

For me, sometimes in slow moving highway traffic the transmission seems to gear hunt when in D, throwing it into DS causes it to gear hunt less.

Quick Reply: 6 mt vs. 7 sp. auto