Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Dealer Replaced Manual Transmission Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 AM
CAL G37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dealer Replaced Manual Transmission Under Warranty

With all of the dealer problems, I wanted to share a good dealer experience. When I bought my 2008 G37s 6MT coupe on 2/1/2013 from an out of town dealer, I took it to Plaza Infiniti here in St. Louis as I had a little clutch grinding noise. They said if the grinding noise wasn't that bad, it would be better to bring my car back just before the drive-train warranty expires. They looked up my in-service date and gave me a print-out with all of my warrantee expiration dates - my drivetrain warrantee was to expire on 3/31/2014. I called a week before expiration to schedule an appointment to check out all drivetrain warrantee issues and they quoted $160, or they said if I had a fluid change, they would do this as a courtesy. If they were going to save me $160, I had them change my coolant, my differential fluid and brake fluid - probably paid $80 more than non-dealer. At first the service manager came out and told me there was nothing wrong with my car, but after another 10 minutes, he reappeared and said I needed a new transmission and it was covered under warrantee. I asked how much this would cost if I had to pay for it - just shy of $4,000. A few days later I have a new transmission and no more grinding - very pleased and would recommend this dealer.

Lessons learned:
#1: The service manager said that I got the transmission replaced because I made him specifically write on the work order that there was a grinding noise when in neutral and the clutch pedal out, no grinding when the clutch pedal was depressed. The mechanic had to specifically diagnose this problem. My work order listed checking out any drivetrain warrantee issues before checking out the grinding so I assume that is why the service manager came to me twice.
#2: In case the transmission would not be replaced, I had video recorded the noise with the clutch pedal in and out in the dealers parking lot just before servicing. If my transmission failed say... within a year, I would have taken my work order (stating my transmission problem) and my video back to the dealer for further discussions.

Last edited by CAL G37s; 04-03-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
My dealer in Louisville did the same thing. I had 40 miles left on the warranty so he told me to leave the car. My problem was 5th gear syncho.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
GORILLA GAINS

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a very similar sound when my clutch is out and silent when pushed in. I put an rjm clutch pedal assembly in the G. would that void my warranty? and how would that work, like would they let u know before they did the work that its not covered and you have to pay? or would they just do it and be like "oh hey, you owe us $4000".
Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My service advisor calls me with info once he's had time to diagnose my issues.
This would be the point where they'd give you an estimate or tell you if warranty coverage applies.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM
GORILLA GAINS

Originally Posted by jazzmang
My service advisor calls me with info once he's had time to diagnose my issues.
This would be the point where they'd give you an estimate or tell you if warranty coverage applies.

they wont charge you for diagnosing it if it is not applicable for warranty?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My car was under warranty, so there was no initial charge for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Racindaddy

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Same noise here. Push the pedal in and it goes away. When I shut the car off it rattles itself to sleep. I have had two new clutches installed since last September and a few weeks ago the replaced my transmission. All under warranty. I had the RJM pedal in the car during all of this and they either didn't notice it or didn't care.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:14 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I thought that griding noise was normal for nissans... think i should get mine swapped as well xD.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
GORILLA GAINS

Originally Posted by Racindaddy
Same noise here. Push the pedal in and it goes away. When I shut the car off it rattles itself to sleep. I have had two new clutches installed since last September and a few weeks ago the replaced my transmission. All under warranty. I had the RJM pedal in the car during all of this and they either didn't notice it or didn't care.

mine does exactly as you describe. I still have warranty so ill check it out. did your new tranny fix the problems with rattling shutoff and clutch noise?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Racindaddy

Clutch noise is back, although not as loud. The service tech did state that some clutch noise is normal but mine was excessive before they replaced it. The biggest problem I had was the driveability of the clutch. It was inconsistent as far as engagement and sometimes it would literally shutter the whole car when taking off. They replaced the clutch last September and the drivability was great for a few months but progressively got worse. They said the disk wasn't making even contact with the pressure plate. We'll see if they actually fixed the problem this time. Thank God for warranties!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
atlg37ss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what noise are ya talking about? I think my g might have the same thing
Old 04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ all 6MT G's and Z's make noise when in neutral and clutch pedal released. it is the throw-out bearing (sometime called release bearing or clutch slave cylinder). for whatever reason, our gearboxes are noisy, but in general very stout.

if the noise can be deemed as "excessive" by the dealer, they can request for warranty authorization from Infiniti. but the dealer must be confident in the judgement in case they get audited by Infiniti.

i have taken my G37 in twice complaining of a loud grinding/rattling in neutral due to bearing wear, but both times i was told it was "normal". before my powertrain warranty expeires i will go in again. it is on file which will help if i have a post-warranty failure. most likely everything will be fine, just get louder as time goes on.

the gearbox was replaced under warranty in my old g35 6MT sedan. but that was for synchro wear issues and not bearing noise.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Racindaddy

I think what helped me was when I shut the car off with the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal fully released, the car would "rattle" itself to sleep. And can't describe the noise other than a grinding noise. And that noise is back, although not as loud. They replaced my transmission because of synchro issues.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ yeah, the "rattling itself to sleep" is due to the counter balance shaft in the gearbox. probably also the dual-mass flywheel. i have had the same complaint and was told the same by 2 dealer master techs. synchro issue are a much more tangible fault, similar to my G35.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 AM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had similar issues. I had 2 transmissions replaced. Clutch replaced, flywheel replaced, and I was still getting noise. My noise was everything listed above plus I would get ticking/marble like noises when clutch was pressed in and while driving off at on first gear. The car was on its third transmission and a lot of work done all within like 6 months. I got a lawyer and Nissan did a buyback on my car.

Quick Reply: Dealer Replaced Manual Transmission Under Warranty