G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Mathieu Labbé

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I went to 3 garages and they said oil pressure test wont do anything since a leak like that doesnt have an effect on oil pressure.

I cleaned around the oil leak with some brake cleaner. After 1 week of driving, 500 miles. it seems to have not leaked again . is it some old oil ?

Should I do the maintenance since I saw many people after opening an engine, like the timing chain cover, many problems can occur after. so is it worth it

picture before:

picture just after it was clean :

picture one week after it was cleaned ( after 500miles of engine running):

Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
This thread is about a specific issue of an internal oil leak. That's not what you have.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The new Lexus GS350 we just bought is really nice and a lot more refined. The Mrs is really happy with it, more than she ever was with her G.
Wow!
Went over 27 pages... It definitely deserves to be a recall and N/I pays for it... Thank you for putting this together and letting the world know.
Not to be a party pooper, but I know a person with a failed engine on a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser, not the cheapest ones.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...us.html?page=1

I have several issues with my G, I've outlined in another post. But I do not want to buy another car at least for another year.

Got a couple of questions, if you do not mind?
How often did you change engine oil? I understand it was full synthetic Penzoil.
Did you send your oil to any oil lab, like Blackstone? And what was the result if you did send it for analysis?

The gasket is made partially from iron. I suspect the result from lab would came with elevated level of iron when the gasket has failed like that.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by si_driver
That is odd. My 2003 G35 with 255,000 miles has been very reliable. Pretty much only needed to replace starter, radiator, and two wheel bearings, outside of the wear and tear items. It is still my daily driver to and from work.

I guess you don't care about the oil in the plugs that happens every 30k miles due to the sh*tty plastic valvecovers with plastic gaskets and the leaking rear sub fame bushing filled with liquid that fails every 18k miles.

Reliable as in not breaking down in the middle off the freeway. Yes.

Reliable as in parts that shouldn't fail every 15k miles due to poor materials and designs. No.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Eugenius
Wow!
Went over 27 pages... It definitely deserves to be a recall and N/I pays for it... Thank you for putting this together and letting the world know.
Not to be a party pooper, but I know a person with a failed engine on a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser, not the cheapest ones.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...us.html?page=1

I have several issues with my G, I've outlined in another post. But I do not want to buy another car at least for another year.

Got a couple of questions, if you do not mind?
How often did you change engine oil? I understand it was full synthetic Penzoil.
Did you send your oil to any oil lab, like Blackstone? And what was the result if you did send it for analysis?

The gasket is made partially from iron. I suspect the result from lab would came with elevated level of iron when the gasket has failed like that.
Oil changed between 5K-10K Miles, typically at 7500. Several oil analyses listed in the oil analysis thread. All perfectly normal. No elevated iron levels. The original gaskets that are failing have no metal, they're just cardboard. See photos of the failed gaskets when the engine was torn down earlier in this thread.

Some owners will get 300K plus out of these cars without a hitch. Some will have problems long before they hit 50K despite great maintenance. It seems that people have trouble understanding what's typical might not be the case for everyone. The majority of owners will probably not get bitten with this problem. But some definitely have and will and this is a resource for them.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:29 PM
xeus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Oil changed between 5K-10K Miles, typically at 7500. Several oil analyses listed in the oil analysis thread. All perfectly normal. No elevated iron levels. The original gaskets that are failing have no metal, they're just cardboard. See photos of the failed gaskets when the engine was torn down earlier in this thread.

Some owners will get 300K plus out of these cars without a hitch. Some will have problems long before they hit 50K despite great maintenance. It seems that people have trouble understanding what's typical might not be the case for everyone. The majority of owners will probably not get bitten with this problem. But some definitely have and will and this is a resource for them.
Timing Chain Replacement - Plate Metal Cover - Nissan Forum | Nissan Forums

N/I has known this for quite sometime but it never surfaced. It maybe very prevalent in NICO community though. A car maker that produces GTR which can stand to 2000+ hp uses paper gaskets in their engines as a common practice. I think this is very disappointing.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 AM
1971442w30conv
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not quite in the same line but I had a 05 G35 that I leased, the price and down stroke was very reasonable as it was the 1day of new dealer take over and I am pretty good at car purchase but this was the first time I had leased a non business auto. 6 months later the car is totaled in a rear end...Infiniti International sends me a check for 6500,00 which was difference between purchase and appraisal...From what I've been told on a lease that any money goes to lease provider not leasee but they did it as a good faith effort. I made almost 5k to drive that car. And yes it was totaled but I was hit while stopped by this lady doing over 50mph, the car did its job and I was not injured...the margin on doors was perfect....everything else was toast.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Uh, yeah. Sure. OK...
Old 04-29-2018, 10:20 AM
NOBOX7

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hello friend , could you share this experience for me to help others going threw this nightmare . thuis video also shows how to
fix a broken engine mount
The following 2 users liked this post by NOBOX7:
blnewt (04-29-2018), pcwd (05-02-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Awesome video showing the basics of what this problem looks like and how to DIY repair it. Thanks for that.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

By the way, this forum thread still comes up on the first page of a Google search of “Infiniti consumer affairs”. I’m glad people dealing with those crooked bastards will at least have the opportunity to see they type of product and service they put out.

I still have Black Betty sitting in my driveway. Haven’t driven the car for a over 2 years. It’s time to sell it and be done with Infiniti once and for all.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:34 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Q60. Fortunately, this model year has the revised gaskets, and does NOT have the troublesome Nissan/Infiniti electronic steering wheel lock system.

I also have a 2007 Nissan Titan, which is extremely reliable, but has a bad habit of developing exhaust manifold leaks before 60k miles. It is a $3k repair also! I was at a Nissan dealer when a 2.5S Altima was in the bay with the same issue. Nissan can be a very crappy company!

I also have a 2016 VW GTI that has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now getting a new DSG transmission and sunroof assembly to the tune of nearly $10k in warranty work. The GTI has 20k miles on it. I am selling that car when I get it back.

When looking to replace my GTI, it was either a 2012+ G37 coupe or a 2010+ Lexus LS460. Those LS's are not perfect either. Melting interior, $4K air-ride suspensions, and 8 control arms that fail prematurely are the big, common items. So is the DI fuel system.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
just got the P0524 code, engine oil pressure. Bummer.

Also filed that NHTSA complaint linked in the thread.

what's funny is my car just rolled over 100K, i have like 1008xx miles.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Ouch!^^^What year is yours?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
blnewt, 2009
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-10-2018)