Sponsored By:

Steering Wheel Adjustment switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 10:58 PM
StIdes40
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Adjustment switch?

Hi all, new to these boards but have been lurking for a bit. I bought a 2008 G37S 6MT with 110k miles in November and would like to join the community and maybe get some help on some stuff. This is it, she's so pretty, I feel so proud driving it compared to my old car, a beat up 1999 Integra GSR lol
Steering Wheel Adjustment switch?-udsmrgi.jpg

Anyway the car had a few minor problems when I got it, like most cars do. The hood's not staying open and the steering wheel won't adjust. The switch to control the steering wheel adjustment is all floppy and flaccid. I'm hoping that replacing the switch fixes it so I bought this off ebay.
Steering Wheel Adjustment switch?-qkcq1br.jpg

Can anyone tell me how much of a job it is to swap out this switch and what tools you will need? I tried googling but I can't find anything on the matter. Wonder if anyone here can help me out? Also can anyone tell me other things I should check or possibly replace in car of this age and mileage? Thx in advance for any tips

Old 01-11-2021, 08:34 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Removing the switch will be a super simple, 30min. task. All you will need is a flat blade and phillips head screwdriver. You will not have to remove the steering wheel.

The following video is for installing paddle shifters, however, the procedure to remove the trim pieces is spot on:
Once you remove the lower trim cover, there will be 2 (or 3) clips (I don't remember) that hold the switch in place. Press them in and the switch will pop right out. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Welcome to the site.
The following users liked this post:
StIdes40 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 PM
StIdes40
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Removing the switch will be a super simple, 30min. task. All you will need is a flat blade and phillips head screwdriver. You will not have to remove the steering wheel.

The following video is for installing paddle shifters, however, the procedure to remove the trim pieces is spot on:

Once you remove the lower trim cover, there will be 2 (or 3) clips (I don't remember) that hold the switch in place. Press them in and the switch will pop right out. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Welcome to the site.
Oh awesome, I was looking at it and didn't see any screws so I was dreading having to remove the steering wheel. I didn't think to turn the wheel though!

Many thx and thx for the welcome!
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I know this doesnt solve your problem, but this will show you how this impressive steering wheel works. Dude does a decent job explaining things and is humorous too.

The following users liked this post:
StIdes40 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:23 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by petemo94
I know this doesnt solve your problem, but this will show you how this impressive steering wheel works. Dude does a decent job explaining things and is humorous too.
I've seen a few of his videos and this guy actually makes pretty good videos using his brother's toothbrush

Old 01-18-2021, 01:14 AM
StIdes40
Registered Member

Well I got some time to try and install the new switch today and hit a major snag. The position the wheel is stuck in is too far retracted into the dash and I can't get the plastic trim pieces off even though I removed all the screws in the video. There is just not enough room to get the trim pieces off because of how the wheel is positioned telescopically.

Is there anyway to get the steering wheel to telescope out without the switch working?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Were you able to get the top cover loose? There is a "ridge" on the upper and lower covers that gets "tucked" up behind the steering wheel. That said, at this point you have three (3) options:
1) you can try popping the lower cover out from behind the steering wheel;
2) you can try popping the switch housing out from the lower cover. The housing clips into the lower cover. This is risky as those little tabs can easily break

3) last resort, remove the steering wheel.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:49 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
More than likely it will be your motors. I went down this path and found the same with my switch.
The switch doesnt see as much action as the motors do.
EVERY SINGLE TIME your door opens or your car turns it moves, add this to your exiting routine. I use the wheel as leverage to exit the car, many times I've used the wheel as it's going up. This will put a strain on the motor.
The motors are simple internally and most kill the bearing leading to premature bearing failure or kill the brushes.

The motors can be replaced without taking out the column however they can be tricky. A new motor will probably be impossible to find/expensive however theyre both the same. A trip to the local JY could yield some motors for you.
Note: the used motors might also be bad. I brought a couple of motors with me to gut and replace the parts in mines.

My first issue was a dead motor
Second motor was working however really noisy.
Third had dead brushes
4th was the hybrid of the second and the third.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by StIdes40
...The switch to control the steering wheel adjustment is all floppy and flaccid.
As OP stated the switch felt "broken" it is a logical starting point and easy fix- provided he can get to the damn thing.

Originally Posted by BULL
...EVERY SINGLE TIME your door opens or your car turns it moves, add this to your exiting routine. I use the wheel as leverage to exit the car, many times I've used the wheel as it's going up. This will put a strain on the motor.
I believe the power entry/exit feature only applies to the Sedans, not the Coupes or 'Verts (even those equipped with ADP didn't get that feature). Correct me if I am wrong, but at least it is not a option on my '08 Coupe. My column never moves unless I need to adjust it which is practically never.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-18-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:27 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
As OP stated the switch felt "broken" it is a logical starting point and easy fix- provided he can get to the damn thing.

Can be a tricky one. I ended up pulling on the switch while I finessed a small flathead to pop it. If done correctly the covers don't need to come off(not like it's that difficult). I chose to leave them, came to find out my motors were at fault.

I believe the power entry/exit feature only applies to the Sedans, not the Coupes or 'Verts (even those equipped with ADP didn't get that feature). Correct me if I am wrong, but at least it is not a option on my '08 Coupe. My column never moves unless I need to adjust it which is practically never.
You are correct. Sedan only feature.