G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 PM
snydnasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies. I am preparing for the worst. I guess I'm not sure how to specifically decide on where to take the car. Do I take it to Infiniti first to have them diagnose the issue? Then to Nissan or trusted local mechanic to perform the actual work at a cheaper labor rate?

Are there any grounds for an argument to be made that this issue could have started while I was covered under the power train warranty (expired only ~9 months and 1.2k miles ago) but due to the poor oil pressure alert system, was only now just raised to my attention?

Also, if I go deal only with Nissan, I assume I would forego any attempt to get some good will from the Infiniti dealer or Infiniti corporate. Although from your experiences, it seems that route may be a lost cause anyway.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You can certainly ask, and I hope they help you. But most of us in that situation have been disappointed. I think a few people have gotten "goodwill" assistance with the repair. Some paid for it partially and some completely I believe. But for most of us, they d!ick you around for several weeks and then say "sorry, can't help you." Maybe you could be one of the lucky few that they actually help out. I hope so.

Yes, you can only hope to get any assistance from an Infiniti dealership. If they don't help you, take it to Nissan for the repair to save yourself $500-1000 on the labor. If you're able to do it yourself it'll save you a couple thousands becasue the parts themselves are not that expensive. But most people lack the skill, time, or intestinal fortitude to tackle this.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM
PurplePanther

Wish you luck snydnasty. All I can say is Nissan would be lower labor cost than Infinity and then convince them to do it at warranty rate.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Like they have said, the worst that can happen is they can say no to helping you. Otherwise I would find a Nissan shop you trust or independent shop and have them just take off the front timing cover and replace just the gaskets. Not sure if there is enough room with everything in there, but at most dropping the radiator should be enough room. Don't let Infiniti try to make you replace all the timing crap, that is where it gets expensive. If you are getting up there in mileage it wouldn't hurt to replace chains and tensioner, etc. This is all assuming that no damage has been done to the engine.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Marky-Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everytime this happens to someone else I start car shopping again haha. Hard to find a car better than a G though
Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM
PurplePanther

They don't care if your just out of warranty, I was one month out 400 miles. It should not make difference if you go to Nissan. It is really a crappy situation.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Marky-Mark

So can anyone comment on what life is like after the repair of just the gaskets, not the $$4000 dollar timing cover replacement through a dealer? What are the chances that things don't get put back together quite right?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:19 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I had just the gaskets repaired and 6 months later the everything else failed related to the issue. Should of had everything done the first time. There is also updated parts that they use so just replacing the gaskets did not work for me..
Old 05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
PurplePanther

I was going to have it done at another service station, but just wanted it done right. My husband actually went in while it was torn apart and made sure they did what they said they were. They even sent us picks. It does not take them long they are use to doing it. But they still change for 16 hours. Mine probably took 8-10.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:15 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
I had just the gaskets repaired and 6 months later the everything else failed related to the issue. Should of had everything done the first time. There is also updated parts that they use so just replacing the gaskets did not work for me..
Very sorry to hear that. So if it fails we need to spend at least 3-4K and have everything redone.

This is Bllsht!!!! Price for an engine pretty much.

Don't tell me about infiniti/nissan reliability ever again. This is unacceptable!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:23 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ThebigJ
Very sorry to hear that. So if it fails we need to spend at least 3-4K and have everything redone.

This is Bllsht!!!! Price for an engine pretty much.

Don't tell me about infiniti/nissan reliability ever again. This is unacceptable!!!
Who said Infinit was reliable? Toyota / Lexus yes. They're highly rated by JD Powers and Consumer Affairs.

Infiniti? They're like at the bottom of the list. Infiniti is just riding on the "Japan reliability" bandwagon.

But my G35 and Q50 sedan spent a good amount of time at the dealership. But that's what Extended and Factory Warranty is for.

Only stuck with Infiniti because the Q60 Coupe has no other close competition (6MT and "luxury like).

BMW? I don't like Turbos.
Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Maybe the 2017 would be more luxurious.

With that said, the 2015 Q60 will probably be my last Infiniti. Since they dump the 6mt and added turbos.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM
g25

Have there been any cases of these symptoms showing on the G25?

I understand this is specific to the VQ37VHR, although I have noticed a superseded part number for the timing chain cover assy for the G25, which has me suspicious.

The most related TSB I can find is ITB10-048. Is this correct, or is there another TSB for this issue?

I have searched this thread and others, could not find these answers.

thanks
Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by g25

I understand this is specific to the VQ37VHR, although I have noticed a superseded part number for the timing chain cover assy for the G25, which has me suspicious.

The most related TSB I can find is ITB10-048. Is this correct, or is there another TSB for this issue?

thanks
You ask a good question. In short, I don't really know for sure. The TSB you refer to is for a different issue entirely, namely oil consumption, and applies the the VQ37VHR engine only. I've never read anything regarding the timing cover gasket leak on the G25, but that's probably because there are no G25 owners that post on this forum. I wish I knew a more definitive answer to help you out.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by g25

thanks
Check the part number for the oil galley seals and see if it is the same number as the 2008-2011 G37, that is about all I can think of.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Marky-Mark

NeverBoneStock- did you have the updated gasket installed and still they failed?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience