G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Old 08-26-2015, 11:19 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
mjunod, I'm curious...did your pinging go away as the RPMs came up?

You're the only one I've seen (that I recall) that has mentioned pinging as it relates to this particular problem.

The reason that I ask is that when I go to get my morning coffee at Starbucks, when I pull out and leave from the drive through, I have noticed a very slight ping, just for a second, just off of idle. I'm 7AT and this is occurring ever so briefly at somewhere between 650 - 1,200 rpm. I'm usually not paying attention to the tach because I'm looking for other cars as I'm pulling off.

I chalked it up to that I need to change my spark plugs as I'm at 102k miles. Maybe I have the beginning of this problem. I'll connect my Kiwi and see if I'm getting any codes. It might be time to get that oil pressure test done at the dealer. I have never gone into limp mode but lately, I've noticed that the engine doesn't seem to be as peppy as it used to and by used to, I'm meaning 6 months ago, and not general slight performance loss associated with higher-ish mileage.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Marky-Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just gonna keep hoping that none of this stuff happens to me.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Marky-Mark
I'm just gonna keep hoping that none of this stuff happens to me.
I really hope so too for your sake. Because it sucks.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My pinging only happened under certain conditions, did not always happen, and it took some work to make happen on demand. When it occurred it was always when accelerating from a standstill, while not accelerating too light or too hard, around 1800 RPMs sometimes through 2100 RPMs. There was some other factor that would contribute to it, but I never fully figured that out. I believe engine temperature was also a factor. It would happened more often on my commute home when I exited from highway driving, stopped at a red light, and then accelerated on a left turn from the stop. With the car in gear, and foot on brake, revving engine though 1800 RPM would not cause the ping. When it would happen, passengers would notice it even with the radio on.

The dealer where I purchased the car, who verified the pinging, first said it was a broken weld on exhaust cover that could be repaired for $700 since it would not be covered under warranty. When I could not see the broken weld, they then said there were stones trapped in the exhaust cover. During the test drive with the Infiniti Tech from Corp., it only happened once before he had the laptop hooked up. He and the serve manager suggested replacing the coolant and/or trying injection system flush, at my expense of course.

So I went to another dealer, described the problem and said I was thinking of hooking up code reader to watch engine temp when pining occurred. That service manager said they could hook up data recording equipment with a button to press to record data starting 10 seconds prior to pressing the button. Then after capturing the data during several pinging events, the dealer would send the record to Infiniti for analysis, as the dealer cannot process the data.

When I took the car in to have the recorder installed, the service tech checked the oil pressure first since they thought that might be the issue as they had another car with a similar problem. My oil pressure went as low a 4 PSI. They did say with this gasket failure, not all cars present the same symptoms.

When I told the original dealer what the problem was, they insisted the gasket leak could not cause the pinging. I said maybe so, but the pinging did not return.

(Now I'm dealing with the original dealer not installing a windshield properly when I first bought the car as a result of Infiniti engineers looking into a potential a-pillar finger joint issue. Recently my windshield started leaking in the upper left corner. The 2nd service dealer sent my car to a windshield place to replace the seal, only to discover the work was not done properly and I have major rust in the windshield frame. Now it will cost $4500 to fix due to major body work replacing top roof panel! Tying back to this thread topic, Infiniti Consumer Affairs won't provide any assistance for repairs even though it was one of their dealers who had my original windshield replaced, since I am past warranty!)
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (08-31-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 PM
mjunod
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I should also add that no codes were ever thrown when the pinging occurred.

And since I was at 105,000 miles and they were working on the engine, I had them replace the spark plugs.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Marky-Mark

Sounds like a nightmare. I need to quickly find an alternative to g37. These problems simply aren't worth the risk
Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare. I need to quickly find an alternative to g37. These problems simply aren't worth the risk
What year to you have? This issue only applies to earlier models and there are far more that don't have the issue than do. For piece of mind, have your oil pressure tested (I did, it was fine).
Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Marky-Mark

09, but you know every time I drive it I love it, so I can't sell it
2008G-Man (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Every car has potentially catastrophic issues, you could sell the G and buy something else and have a 5k repair a week later.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Every car has potentially catastrophic issues, you could sell the G and buy something else and have a 5k repair a week later.
Like a BMW, Audi or Benz
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by mjunod
My pinging only happened under certain conditions, did not always happen, and it took some work to make happen on demand. When it occurred it was always when accelerating from a standstill, while not accelerating too light or too hard, around 1800 RPMs sometimes through 2100 RPMs. There was some other factor that would contribute to it, but I never fully figured that out. I believe engine temperature was also a factor. It would happened more often on my commute home when I exited from highway driving, stopped at a red light, and then accelerated on a left turn from the stop. With the car in gear, and foot on brake, revving engine though 1800 RPM would not cause the ping. When it would happen, passengers would notice it even with the radio on.

The dealer where I purchased the car, who verified the pinging, first said it was a broken weld on exhaust cover that could be repaired for $700 since it would not be covered under warranty. When I could not see the broken weld, they then said there were stones trapped in the exhaust cover. During the test drive with the Infiniti Tech from Corp., it only happened once before he had the laptop hooked up. He and the serve manager suggested replacing the coolant and/or trying injection system flush, at my expense of course.

So I went to another dealer, described the problem and said I was thinking of hooking up code reader to watch engine temp when pining occurred. That service manager said they could hook up data recording equipment with a button to press to record data starting 10 seconds prior to pressing the button. Then after capturing the data during several pinging events, the dealer would send the record to Infiniti for analysis, as the dealer cannot process the data.

When I took the car in to have the recorder installed, the service tech checked the oil pressure first since they thought that might be the issue as they had another car with a similar problem. My oil pressure went as low a 4 PSI. They did say with this gasket failure, not all cars present the same symptoms.

When I told the original dealer what the problem was, they insisted the gasket leak could not cause the pinging. I said maybe so, but the pinging did not return.

(Now I'm dealing with the original dealer not installing a windshield properly when I first bought the car as a result of Infiniti engineers looking into a potential a-pillar finger joint issue. Recently my windshield started leaking in the upper left corner. The 2nd service dealer sent my car to a windshield place to replace the seal, only to discover the work was not done properly and I have major rust in the windshield frame. Now it will cost $4500 to fix due to major body work replacing top roof panel! Tying back to this thread topic, Infiniti Consumer Affairs won't provide any assistance for repairs even though it was one of their dealers who had my original windshield replaced, since I am past warranty!)
Thanks for the thorough detail mjunod.

I've noticed along with my low rpm ping off the line that lately that I seem to be lacking on power under 3,500 rpm. It almost feels like the torque converter is slipping. The car doesn't feel snappy off the line (like it used to) at all until 3.5k rpm and higher. Needless to say, I'm concerned about having the gasket failure.

Think I'll be making an appointment this week to have an oil pressure test done on the car. At any rate, I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:37 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I tried dealing with consumer affairs pertaining to my melting/cracking/sticky dash. basically they told me I'm S.O.L. Really left a sour taste in my mouth the way it was all handled and i was completely shut down by them.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Lexus had the same problem with the sticky dash. It was solved by purchasing a sunshade.

I just picked up one at the dealership for about $30.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
BB, or whoever had this timing cover gasket problem on their cars, did you guys have oil seeping near the timing cover, like the picture below? Wondering if this is related to the gasket.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
No. The leak is internal, no external leaking at all.
antirice (11-09-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience