spacer kit so i don't have to cut factory studs?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Bad G IPL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
spacer kit so i don't have to cut factory studs?

I bought an eibach pro kit for my 2012 IPL & looking to get either 15mm or 2mm spacers all around. now my one friend was telling me not to buy the spacer kits that come with additional nuts/bolts cause Ill have to cut my factory rods in order to fit the spacers. He told me to find a spacer kit that i can simply slide on to my factory rods then slide the rim on after.

Who makes these kind of spacer kits? All I can find are the spacers that bolt to your hub then another set of bolts to your rim. I can't find these spacers he is talking about? Any help would be great
Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad G IPL
I bought an eibach pro kit for my 2012 IPL & looking to get either 15mm or 2mm spacers all around. now my one friend was telling me not to buy the spacer kits that come with additional nuts/bolts cause Ill have to cut my factory rods in order to fit the spacers. He told me to find a spacer kit that i can simply slide on to my factory rods then slide the rim on after.

Who makes these kind of spacer kits? All I can find are the spacers that bolt to your hub then another set of bolts to your rim. I can't find these spacers he is talking about? Any help would be great
There are indeed two different kinds of spacers. One set has built in studs, the other other uses factory studs. Unfortunately, the difference between the two is generally a matter of how MUCH spacing you want. If you try to use a 20mm spacer that still uses your factory studs, you'll essentially be removing 20mm of thread on your factory stud. This gets extremely dangerous, as your wheels are now less secure than they were previously. There's a crossover point, though, there's no need to have extra studs on a 5mm spacer, as the "lost" thread is negligible. AFAIK, there's absolutely no cutting requred for a 20mm spacer. Once you slide it on, and bolt it, there's almost no amount of your factory studs that stick out.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Bad G IPL

Ok so your saying 20mm spacers won't work cause i won't really have any thread left on my factory studs in the first place and its dangerous.. My friend was saying if I do 15mm spacer I can still comfortably use my factory studs . However i don't believe him cause he has a volkswagon lol is 15mm spacer possible and if so who makes these?
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
For spacers I would recommend H&R (a bit pricey but high quality) and for the type that you are looking for is called H&R DRM Trak. The DRS type is when you have to replace the whole hub and bolts. DRM is simple plug and play (no cutting.) When installing, remember to torque wrench in star pattern going from 20lb-40lb--85lb of torque. I have mine 20mm front and 15mm rear, there is no wheel vibration. Also, H&R spacers design will give you plenty of thread on the factory studs because the slots where it goes to the factory studs will be indented. Hope this helps

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/

Last edited by teonguyen; 02-17-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Ok so your saying 20mm spacers won't work cause i won't really have any thread left on my factory studs in the first place and its dangerous.. My friend was saying if I do 15mm spacer I can still comfortably use my factory studs . However i don't believe him cause he has a volkswagon lol is 15mm spacer possible and if so who makes these?
Both 20mm and 15mm spacers are available. What I'm saying is that if you're going to use spacers that big, it would behoove you to use ones with aftermarket studs. Think about it, if you get non-studded 20mm spacers, you are now trying to bolt wheels on to factory studs that are 20mm shorter than they used to be. There's nothing wrong with 20mm spacers, just use the aftermarket studs and make sure they're secured correctly and from a reputable brand.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM
b2autodesigns
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
If you are using factory wheels. Go for the bolt on spacers. No cutting of stock studs. They are simple bolt on. They look like this.

I offer my own B2designs spacers. 1pc hub centric. Lots of positive feedback. Check them out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...plication.html

Also when installing spacers. Always use a torque wrench. Never use impact. 6 point socket is best also.

Charles
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Bad G IPL

Originally Posted by teonguyen
For spacers I would recommend H&R (a bit pricey but high quality) and for the type that you are looking for is called H&R DRM Trak. The DRS type is when you have to replace the whole hub and bolts. DRM is simple plug and play (no cutting.) When installing, remember to torque wrench in star pattern going from 20lb-40lb--85lb of torque. I have mine 20mm front and 15mm rear, there is no wheel vibration. Also, H&R spacers design will give you plenty of thread on the factory studs because the slots where it goes to the factory studs will be indented. Hope this helps

H&R TRAK+® Wheel Spacers | Products || H&R Special Springs, LP

Thanks Teonguyen,

i found a set on stollen website below:

http://www.stillen.com/product/wheel...663-41060.html

I'm still thinking i will have to cut my stock studs? Will the above link work for my g? Also why did you go 20mm front and 15mm rear. Whats size tires you have?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks Teonguyen,

H&R 15.0mm DRM Type TRAK+ Wheel Spacers 3065663 HR3065663 | STILLEN

I'm still thinking i will have to cut my stock studs? Will the above link work for my g? Also why did you go 20mm front and 15mm rear. Whats size tires you have?
You won't have to shorten your stock lugs, the wheel mounting flange has recesses in it so if the studs extend above the spacer they'll still fit inside those recess pockets. Also those B2Autodesign spacers are a good option.

One other thing, be SURE to recheck torque after a few hundred miles & EVERY tire rotation, also DO NOT use any thread-locking compound on the lugs or spacer threads.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks Teonguyen,

H&R 15.0mm DRM Type TRAK+ Wheel Spacers 3065663 HR3065663 | STILLEN

Yes the link above will work, but best bet is to contact any vendors in this forum for best pricing. No you you wont have to cut anything just plug them on the factory hubs torque then re-torque after couple hundred miles like blnewt mentioned, then it will be all set. I still run stock size tires 225 F and 245R and was planning on going 245/275 that why I went 20F and 15R. I wish I went all 20mm all around cause with deeper drop the rear looks a bit tuck with 15mm. With Eibach mild drop I believe you can go 20 all around. Also, hear lot of positive reviews on B2autodesign spacers. Charles @ B2autodesign will help you out. Bought a lot of parts from him.

Last edited by teonguyen; 02-18-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by b2autodesigns
If you are using factory wheels. Go for the bolt on spacers. No cutting of stock studs. They are simple bolt on. They look like this.

I offer my own B2designs spacers. 1pc hub centric. Lots of positive feedback. Check them out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheel-a...plication.html

Also when installing spacers. Always use a torque wrench. Never use impact. 6 point socket is best also.

Charles
I purchased these spacers from Charles at B2autodesigns (20mm all around). As Charles said, you don't have to trim the studs and they went on in a jiffy. All you need is a torque wrench. I've had them on my car for about three months and have not had any issues. There's no vibration or difference in the ride. I'm very pleased with the look. They give the car a more athletic stance.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
^^^ I got these too.

+ Charles is a cool dude