Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New Car Lost wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Vangx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car Lost wheel lock key

I've just recently bought a new 2010 G37x last month and was looking to put on snow tires. I noticed that there was wheel locks on the wheels. I spent an hour looking for the key in the car but was unable to find one. I went to the dealer asking for the key and they said they'll replace all four wheel locks with a new set + key for $100.

I don't want to spend that much. Is there a key I can just buy online somewhere? or a set with the same style I can buy for cheaper? I've attached what my wheel locks look like.

New Car Lost wheel lock key-yvjjlva.jpg
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It looks like a mcguard wheel lock. You could try calling around to your local tire shops to see if they sell keys individually. Mcguard is a pretty generic brand for dealerships to use for wheel locks so it could be possible. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Theres a tool to get those off. Basically a lug wrench with teeth.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
My boy used a chisel to get his off...
Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 PM
originaldko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you got documentation or a manual with the sale, check for a warranty card from the wheel lock manufacturer. it will have a combination that will allow you to reorder a key. failing that, make sure you look in both leatherette pouches in the trunk as well as under the trunkfloor and in the toolkit for the key.

worst case scenario, hammer a slightly larger 12 point impact socket onto it, remove, replace.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Check where the spare tire is ... it might be burried in there.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Mattimus
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Same thing happened to me several years ago. I was able to hammer in a spare socket and use a ratchet to get it off. Of course, doing this destroys the lock. But honestly, If I could get it off so quickly and easily, so can thieves. I upgraded after that.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
A tire shop broke one of mine last year. When I took the problem to the dealer, not surprisingly, they said they only sell them in packages of four. I said the hell with it and had them put a regular lug not on that tire. Having lojack with the early warning feature, I figure no tire thief is going to have time to remove any of my tires.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
When i got my car, i didnt have the key. I needed to take the wheels off to do a brake job and was frantically trying to figure out how to get the locks off.

I called up the dealership near me and asked if they had any recomendations. The GM for the dealership got on the phone and said.... "I'll tell you what... I'll leave the case of all the keys outside of the door after we close, just make sure you bring them back."

So he did just that.

I had every single infiniti wheel lock key, and the craziest thing was... HE HAD NO IDEA WHO I WAS!!! I didnt give him my name or anything... it was pretty crazy.

Needless to say i went on a rim stealing spree ... Just kidding.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM
That Dude
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me, kinda... the first time I took the wheels off my car, I lost the key. Your car should have came with a serial number for the wheel locks from McGard, which is who supplies the wheel locks to Infiniti, and all you need to do is call them with that serial number and they will send you a new one for $14.95 plus shipping. If you register then you won;t need the serial number ever again.

FYI, Infiniti tries to sell you a whole set because they don't sell wheel lock keys, only McGard has them. The shops have a master set so if you get cool with one of the techs they can take them off for you for $20 on the side of the building.

Lastly, someone else here mentioned this, get a spare 12pt socket and bang it on with a mallet then take it off with a breaker bar. A stripped nut/bolt remover may work, but the size of your lug hole may be a problem. Craftsman make a set specifically for this, it's about $50-$75 IIRC.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My '11 EX35 was missing the wheel lock key, I never noticed until I had some brake work and an alignment done at a local shop who had to call me and let me know they couldn't find it. I made the dealership replace the set because they had either lost the wheel lock or never supplied one in the beginning. They were the only other shop that had removed the wheels, but they said they had their own set of keys so they hadn't ever used mine. I didn't care, I just knew I wasn't about to pay for a new set.