Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

3m carbon fiber trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Bokja

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
3m carbon fiber trim

Had some time this saturday morning and decided to wrap the door trim with 3m Carbon Fiber wrap. Most likely will do the center console in the next coming week. Was just getting tired at looking at the aluminum getting scratched :/ Here are a few pics. Enjoy.

Before:

After:

Side-by-side:

In-car before:

In-car after:

if you need any pieces wrapped PM me i don't charge much
The following 2 users liked this post by Bokja:
rza2042 (08-13-2013), surfwagon (08-18-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks very very nice, I have a whole carbon fiber exterior going on and black/red inside so should get rid of the silver, I want to wrap my roof in that stuff too
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
G37jeff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks awesome how did you get the old pieces off?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Came out very nice Bokja, love working w/ that 3M 1080 carbon wrap, very forgiving and a nice texture. Are you planning any more pieces like the steering wheel trim or the radio/console? Thanks for the pics, this is on my to-do list, and it's getting easier to give the project the green light when I see nice work like this

G37Jeff, I think this thread covers most of the trim removal but not sure.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ower-dash.html
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Bokja

Originally Posted by Raheel
Looks very very nice, I have a whole carbon fiber exterior going on and black/red inside so should get rid of the silver, I want to wrap my roof in that stuff too
Thank you!

Originally Posted by G37jeff
Looks awesome how did you get the old pieces off?
Thanks! The vertical door trim piece pops off (there is a gap towards the bottom just enough for a flat head screw drive to pop it out). The long pieces are screwed in so do not try to pop them out or you'll break them. You have to remove the 3 bolts/screws (1 at door handle and 2 after popping out the vertical trim piece on door pull). Then carefully pull the top of the door out and un-screw the long trim piece (about 6-7 screws). Remember to mark the holes because there are to many of them lol and will save you time when you put it together and the screws do not grab nothing).
The driver's side small piece pops out (once the side and bottom are popped out)
The trim above the glove box comes out after removing the glove box assembly (similar to changing the cabin filter.)

Originally Posted by blnewt
Came out very nice Bokja, love working w/ that 3M 1080 carbon wrap, very forgiving and a nice texture. Are you planning any more pieces like the steering wheel trim or the radio/console? Thanks for the pics, this is on my to-do list, and it's getting easier to give the project the green light when I see nice work like this

G37Jeff, I think this thread covers most of the trim removal but not sure.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ower-dash.html
Thank you!
This was my first attempt at wrapping in general and i'm happy with the results as well. It takes a bit of patience to wrap as the edges require a bit more attention, but this 3M 1080 series is great stuff to work with. Planning to do the center console in the next few days. Also, would like to do the steering wheel trim at some point. Will keep this thread updated as work progresses.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
ItalianG37xS

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mind sharing how much of the 3M Material you purchased for the job? Thinking about doing the same thing but now sure how much to buy.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Bokja

Originally Posted by ItalianG37xS
Mind sharing how much of the 3M Material you purchased for the job? Thinking about doing the same thing but now sure how much to buy.
I bought 10 Square feet (5'x2'). That should be enough to do all the interior trim including center console.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bokja:
ItalianG37xS (08-13-2013), VelisG37s (02-12-2015)
Old 08-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha I am doing this now but I am going with a more semi-gloss black. more matte than gloss. and I did my center console. the next thing i have to do is do the trim pieces on the door and dash. The center console was relatively easy to take apart.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Scoe11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you have to pull the entire panel off to unscrew the horizontal trim piece? What about the clips? Are these normal screws that you need to use a screwdriver? Can't imagine having enough space to unscrew the piece without pulling the panel off.

Originally Posted by Bokja

Thanks! The vertical door trim piece pops off (there is a gap towards the bottom just enough for a flat head screw drive to pop it out). The long pieces are screwed in so do not try to pop them out or you'll break them. You have to remove the 3 bolts/screws (1 at door handle and 2 after popping out the vertical trim piece on door pull). Then carefully pull the top of the door out and un-screw the long trim piece (about 6-7 screws). Remember to mark the holes because there are to many of them lol and will save you time when you put it together and the screws do not grab nothing).
The driver's side small piece pops out (once the side and bottom are popped out)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Bokja

Originally Posted by Scoe11
Don't you have to pull the entire panel off to unscrew the horizontal trim piece? What about the clips? Are these normal screws that you need to use a screwdriver? Can't imagine having enough space to unscrew the piece without pulling the panel off.
I didn't have to. I used a small Phillips head screwdriver (about 2-3" long) that only needed to pop out just the top half of the door panel. If you do not have a small screwdriver it may be tough to do without popping out the full panel.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 PM
inknartg37

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you thought about spraying them with clear coat? I've been wanting to try it on my chrome spoiler that i had wrapped in 3M carbon...I think it would look awesome not to mention really seal the wrapping...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by inknartg37
Have you thought about spraying them with clear coat? I've been wanting to try it on my chrome spoiler that i had wrapped in 3M carbon...I think it would look awesome not to mention really seal the wrapping...
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe 3M specifically states that the 1080 isn't clear-coat compatible. They do have a new spray-on clear bra that might be the ticket though. I haven't contacted 3M about it but it seems like it might work out
3M Auto: Products for People Who Love Cars
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
budiu22

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
looks good!
seems a bit odd that you didnt do the dash with it..

im also not a fan of fake carbon fiber just for the looks, but thats just me.

but the pieces came out good!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokja
Had some time this saturday morning and decided to wrap the door trim with 3m Carbon Fiber wrap. Most likely will do the center console in the next coming week. Was just getting tired at looking at the aluminum getting scratched :/ Here are a few pics. Enjoy.

Before:

After:

Side-by-side:

In-car before:

In-car after:

if you need any pieces wrapped PM me i don't charge much

That's hot
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Bokja

Originally Posted by inknartg37
Wasn't aware this was possible. May have to look into it, but so far i'm liking the way it looks and feels.

Originally Posted by budiu22
looks good!
seems a bit odd that you didnt do the dash with it..

im also not a fan of fake carbon fiber just for the looks, but thats just me.

but the pieces came out good!
Thanks! The dash is going under the knife in the next few days, just ran out of time

Originally Posted by inyquest
That's hot
Thank you!

Quick Reply: 3m carbon fiber trim