G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Coupe Matte Metallic Wrap with 3M

Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM
MyBoyBlue

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
G37 Coupe Matte Metallic Wrap with 3M

I've been doing vinyl subcontract work for 3 years now and this was my first full Infiniti; I wanted to share. I've done a couple chrome window trims in matte or gloss black (G35 and G37).

If you have any questions about vinyl wraps or want some DIY advice feel free to shoot me a PM.

Full vinyl wrap with 3M matte metallic blue.
Headlights pulled apart and painted.
Tail lights painted a shade darker and left matte.
Windows 35% (back 20%).
Eibach lowering springs.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
I am not a huge matte fan, but that looks amazing. I don't think I have ever seen one in this color, and it looks spectacular. The headlight housings look like they could use some more love, frankly.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks really good. I love wraps. Does 3M or any other vinyl supplier make a wrap in this color:

Name:  4E51F349-C195-44BB-831C-53FCA655DA65-936-0000003DB557AD5B-1.jpg
Views: 44909
Size:  223.1 KB
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM
MyBoyBlue

Originally Posted by sprix
I am not a huge matte fan, but that looks amazing. I don't think I have ever seen one in this color, and it looks spectacular. The headlight housings look like they could use some more love, frankly.
After these pictures were taken they had the headlights buffed and cleaned up ... they agreed with you

Originally Posted by Can'tGme
Looks really good. I love wraps. Does 3M or any other vinyl supplier make a wrap in this color
Yes, both Hexis and Avery have colors close to that. I think the Avery is a little closer but that's just from looking at the picture (see below).

Avery Cherry Red Metallic SW900-440-M

Last edited by MyBoyBlue; 07-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
ItalianG37xS

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can I ask how much that ran you? Or would run?

Oh and I really love that color.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM
MyBoyBlue

Originally Posted by ItalianG37xS
Can I ask how much that ran you? Or would run?

Oh and I really love that color.
I do wraps for $2200-$4000 depending on vehicle, which vinyl, and level of install (up to $9k for the chrome vinyls).
A basic (commercial style) install with the cheap vinyls (price not quality) is on the low end but that is cheaper because the bumpers, lights, molding, mirrors, etc aren't removed for install. For the show quality install that includes door jambs and more attention to the small details (take a lot more time).
All installs include a limited warranty and most vinyl manufacturers have a 5-7 year warranty.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
looks good.. i like the subtle trim around the headlights.. actually makes the car look meaner.. if that's at all possible
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Awesome job all around. I'd love to DIY wrap my car someday, I've done trim wraps (window trim, grills, valance, even wheels) but the bumpers seem especially daunting.
Are the Scotchprint 1080 vinyls one of the best? I'd love to hear some tips for doing the bumpers, I think I could manage the rest of it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
awightguy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sprix
I'm the same way, they look good on some cars and even then I've never been a huge fan, but that does look nice
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
MyBoyBlue

Originally Posted by blnewt
Are the Scotchprint 1080 vinyls one of the best? I'd love to hear some tips for doing the bumpers, I think I could manage the rest of it.
The most common vinyls I use are 3M (Scotchprint), Avery, Hexis, and Oracal. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

Before you lay down the vinyl on the bumper look at it and plan ahead. A lot of bumpers will require a seam because the vinyl just shouldn't be stretched that much. Find the best places to hide your seams. Put the small piece of vinyl down first before you wrap the whole bumper. Keep in mind the direction the wind will be coming so it doesn't pull up on the edge of the vinyl.

For the bumper: Lay down a section in the middle so it won't come off while pulling. It should be a horizontal line, don't wrap all the way from top to bottom. You may have to pull this area back up later anyways.
Have someone pull the vinyl from the end. Heat it EVERYWHERE while its being pulled to give a light stretch on the vinyl. Then you pull the vinyl from the top and bottom to smooth it out while you wrap around the corner of the bumper onto the sides.
Make sure the corner is down well because if you have to go back and pull up any of that area its going to be really tight and there's a good chance of tearing.
By putting a light stretch on all the vinyl, it will want to shrink into itself; basically gripping onto the bumper. It will also make the rest of the bumper easier to get down. Be careful though, don't stretch too much or the color of the vinyl will shift (darker or lighter). 30% stretch is safe but any more than that may cause issues.

Hopefully this is what you needed.
The following 3 users liked this post by MyBoyBlue:
blnewt (07-19-2013), sprix (07-19-2013), SwissCheeseHead (07-20-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
joe6mtt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many ft of 3m wud I need to wrap my entire g coupe ?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 AM
MyBoyBlue

For an entire wrap in 3M there is a price drop at 25 yards so I usually order that. For an exact measurement I would estimate 14 yards.
14 yards would require saving every possible inch of the vinyl and no room for error. If a bumper was being wrapped and something went wrong that's 3 yards gone.
I also order the extra vinyl if something happens and the customer comes back. We had a 2013 VW Jetta in here recently for a full wrap. Someone hit his front fender so he got a new one and it had to be rewrapped; we didn't charge him for the material.
The following users liked this post:
sprix (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I've really been looking into this but no shop can answer my questions. How much is removal? And can you confirm there will be 0 damage to the factory paint if you remove the wrap within 1.5 years?
Thank you!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM
MyBoyBlue

Originally Posted by RYs06MT
I've really been looking into this but no shop can answer my questions. How much is removal? And can you confirm there will be 0 damage to the factory paint if you remove the wrap within 1.5 years?
Thank you!
Removal would be 1-2 hrs in labor probably so my guess would be $200. You could do most of the removal yourself though.

If the paint really is factory, nothing has been repainted, there aren't any chips, and no deep scratches then it will protect your paint like clear bra. The vinyl may cause damage to the paint if its been on the car over 5 years.
If the car has been repainted then the vinyl might pull up some paint. If there's a chip in the paint the vinyl might pull up a little extra around the chip. If there's a deep scratch there's a small chance of it pulling up paint.

Any shop should be honest with you about these things. Overall, a wrap will protect your paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by MyBoyBlue:
4rnr (12-28-2013), sprix (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for the bumper tips MBB, If I really do take the plunge I'm sure I'll look you up for some final "prep help". Again, great work and thanks for offering your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37 Coupe Matte Metallic Wrap with 3M