Why was the music box eliminated? - Page 3 - MyG37

G37 Coupe

Why was the music box eliminated?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #31  
Mantis

I have a 2012 g37x and I have, I think, 1 cd of music on my music box. Honestly it's just not a feature I find useful. I would love if if I had 500gb of mp3 storage with a great frontend for navigating the directories. But honestly, with the RIAA putting pressure on everything and everyone, and the simplicity of BT for playing music, I can't blame Infiniti for dropping it without a replacement feature.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #32  
MikeKiloDelta

I've never used my music box. An .mp3 HDD would be great though!
MikeKiloDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #33  
SigX

I guess I am a weirdo since I use the music box. I like the fact that it is faster to respond to commands over the BT or USB.
SigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #34  
sobeIPL

I want to get rid of mine. It's so annoying having to land on it as I'm toggling the sources.
sobeIPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #35  
budiu22

Its a nice perk if you forgot your phone.... But if you have any decent cellphone nowdays, its pretty useless... i have like 20 GB of music on my phone and I have not even tought of the music box since i got a 2012 G37xS (first used music box back in 2008 when i leased a 6mt Sport back G coupe) Loved the music box back then, i used to make tons of CDs, but ever since i got a phone with alot of memory, I havent looked back.
budiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #36  
JimW

That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Because it wasn't popular at all. Most people would rather have Bluetooth connectivity and play music form their phone/iPod/USB/device.
That's an asinine and nonsensical response. My 2010 G37 has all those things (Bluetooth connectivity from my phone, USB/iPod connectivity, Sirius XM connectivity, CD player) PLUS the awesome Music Box. Taking it out is a major Infiniti downgrade, so much so it is a big reason why I may not replace my g37 with another Infiniti. You must've never had a Music Box, or didn't know what you had or how to use it if you did, so you shouldn't be commenting about it.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #37  
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
That's an asinine and nonsensical response. My 2010 G37 has all those things (Bluetooth connectivity from my phone, USB/iPod connectivity, Sirius XM connectivity, CD player) PLUS the awesome Music Box. Taking it out is a major Infiniti downgrade, so much so it is a big reason why I may not replace my g37 with another Infiniti. You must've never had a Music Box, or didn't know what you had or how to use it if you did, so you shouldn't be commenting about it.

i don't know about Infiniti's Music Box, but i had a similar "CD burner" feature in my Evo - took at least 5 minutes to rip a CD to the HD. yeah, ain't nobody got time for that.

i always have a dedicated iPod or Android phone with my ENTIRE music collection on it that i just leave in the car.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #38  
Lego_Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
i don't know about Infiniti's Music Box, but i had a similar "CD burner" feature in my Evo - took at least 5 minutes to rip a CD to the HD. yeah, ain't nobody got time for that.
It's the same, takes several minutes to rip the CD. I have maybe 20 albums on mine, but I think it's a pretty worthless feature. Not that many albums that I want in their entirety, and the navigation is clumsy.

It was probably cool in 2008, but in 2018, yeah, not so much.

The cost to keep the software up-to-date on a feature nobody uses, probably isn't worth it either. You'd be better off getting a old iPod touch or something.
Lego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #39  
GeezerB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac View Post
It's the same, takes several minutes to rip the CD. I have maybe 20 albums on mine, but I think it's a pretty worthless feature. Not that many albums that I want in their entirety, and the navigation is clumsy.

It was probably cool in 2008, but in 2018, yeah, not so much.

The cost to keep the software up-to-date on a feature nobody uses, probably isn't worth it either. You'd be better off getting a old iPod touch or something.
I love my music box feature. Regarding the delay in ripping, you do realize that the CD plays while it rips? You don't have any down time. I still use CD media & love the convenience of music on my HD. Why would I want an ipod laying around asking to be stolen? I also have a tiny memory stick in the USB port for another option. Always fun to borrow a CD, pop it in & give it back in minutes retaining all the tracks. I don't have to go to my computer to convert, also a time consuming process.
GeezerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #40  
telcoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerB View Post
I love my music box feature. Regarding the delay in ripping, you do realize that the CD plays while it rips? You don't have any down time. I still use CD media & love the convenience of music on my HD. Why would I want an ipod laying around asking to be stolen? I also have a tiny memory stick in the USB port for another option. Always fun to borrow a CD, pop it in & give it back in minutes retaining all the tracks. I don't have to go to my computer to convert, also a time consuming process.
Who uses CD's anymore? All my old 45's are on my IPod

IPod works well

As does a USB

Telcoman
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #41  
AdamBritt

I know personally my music through Bluetooth was never reliable. Some days it would be fine but others the music would be the slightest bit choppy. Broke down and got an iPod off of eBay but only because I could put SD cards in it to make it run a little faster.
AdamBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 AM   #42  
Jsolo

I've owned the car for over 6 years now. No clue if the cd/dvd player even worked until recently when I applied a software update. Flash drive or streaming has worked great.
Jsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #43  
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerB View Post
Why would I want an ipod laying around asking to be stolen?
huh? it stays in the armrest ... never sees the light of day.

now i see your username. it all makes sense now. how big is your VHS and Laserdisc collection?
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #44  
saywat?

Wats a cd? My music box is my old ipod
saywat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #45  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
You revived a five year old thread to make this your first post on this forum? I stand by my comment. And common sense tells me two things: 1) that since many music companies have stopped even producing compact discs, your contention that the music box is “awesome” is out of touch with the reality of the situation, and 2) that my your thoughts that my response was asinine and nonsensical and that I shouldn’t be commenting about it is rather rude. Starting out on a forum by making rude and combative comments isn’t very nice or very smart. Maybe consider introducing yourself and being a bit more diplomatic in how you choose to express a dissenting opinion would serve you better.

Welcome to the forum Jim.
Black Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Betty For This Useful Post:
bPChaos (04-16-2018), telcoman (04-16-2018)