Ebay rotors and posi-quiet pads installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Ebay rotors and posi-quiet pads installed

I bought BrakeLabs (R1 Concepts) zinc plated, slotted rotors and did the job in about 5 hours. I have yet to bleed the lines but the initial impression of the rotors are very solid. After bedding in the pads (60 mph to 10 mph, 90% braking force, 10 times), I can say that for the price, this was a good deal. The rotors are heavy duty pieces and I'm very happy with how they turned out. Braking is smooth and quiet and they perform as well, if not better than the OEM stuff I had. I don't have pics ATM but will take some when I get home. I recommend this part for those looking to replace their rusty OEM rotors (mine were terrible). They were sent with posi-quiet ceramic pads for $300.

Here are some pics for now:
Front

Rear

Last edited by SwissCheeseHead; 04-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Can you provide a link?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
R1concepts.com
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by iGGy37S
Can you provide a link?
I forgot to mention this is for the BBK.
Front Rear Kit Powersport Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads | eBay
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding brakes on a performance car I feel oem is the safest. I don't buy oem rotors, after all, cast iron is cast iron. But the manufacturer has the resources to test brakes. Anyone can advertise brakes and say they outperform oem. My car is capable of going 155mph. If I ever do that and need to stop, I want the car to go from 155 to zero, not from 155 to, say 65. If there is a better all around pad for street use, why would Infiniti not use them?

I will say I was not aware that the brake parts for the G37S were so expensive!

Last edited by jaykellogg; 04-23-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
If there is a better all around pad for street use, why would Infiniti not use them?
Cost of manufacture.

It's all about the $$$. The pad/disc combo is completely functional and works, but they could do wayyyyyyyyy better. But they won't because of cost. They're about making money and selling cars, plain and simple.
The following 6 users liked this post by Rad_Slinger:
Black Betty (04-23-2013), jon23 (04-24-2013), Kevalteam (04-25-2013), Mazaki (05-17-2013), SwissCheeseHead (04-23-2013), VelisG37s (10-16-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by jaykellogg
Regarding brakes on a performance car I feel oem is the safest. I don't buy oem rotors, after all, cast iron is cast iron. But the manufacturer has the resources to test brakes. Anyone can advertise brakes and say they outperform oem. My car is capable of going 155mph. If I ever do that and need to stop, I want the car to go from 155 to zero, not from 155 to, say 65. If there is a better all around pad for street use, why would Infiniti not use them?
Simple - They have to design a car that will appeal to the broadest audience possible. Using the best parts in all of their vehicles increases cost. The higher the cost gets, the smaller the buying audience becomes. OEM parts have their place, don't get me wrong, but you'd be foolish to think that OEM parts are the best. Just look at the aftermarket support that's out there for the G. Suspension, Intakes, Brakes, drivetrain and everything in between. OEM may do well, but it may not always be the best.

I do not feel unsafe at all after installing these rotors and pads. I am confident I can stop on a dime if needed. If you go online and read reviews on PosiQuiet pads, you'll see that there are many satisfied users. The same will apply to R1 Concepts rotors. Like you said, cast iron is cast iron. I don't track or race, so I know I will never put enough stresses on the rotors without cooling in between to ever warp or otherwise deform the rotors.

Disclaimer: No affiliation whatsoever.
The following 2 users liked this post by SwissCheeseHead:
Mazaki (05-17-2013), Rad_Slinger (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Cost of manufacture.

It's all about the $$$. The pad/disc combo is completely functional and works, but they could do wayyyyyyyyy better. But they won't because of cost. They're about making money and selling cars, plain and simple.
You beat me to it!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep.

Mine wasn't as detailed as yours though
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Cost of manufacture.

There are more places to cut cost than in the brakes. The oem brakes are "street" brakes and if you track the car then you can probably find a more heat resistant pad material, but they may not work well when cold.

Also there is a world of difference between what you and I pay for something and what an auto manufacturer pays. I doubt there is really that much difference in the pad cost to Nissan/Infiniti
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Brakes are a perfect place to cut costs for the manufacturer because as Rad mentioned, the brakes that they put on the car "works" but is not necessarily the best and there is a huge range of performance variability both in the disc material, caliper construction, brake fluid and pad material, all of which if even the "cheap" version is used would be able to stop the car on the street just as well as any other car. We don't drive Ferarri's, where the highest grade materials are used on every panel, every bolt, every fluid. We drive fancy Nissans, with a slight bump in performance over your everyday Camry. That's really all there is to it. We, as consumers, have the ability to put what we want on our vehicles, and thankfully so because ir not, the dealerships would have monopolies on all of our maintenance and we'd be left with our pants around our ankles. You can think what you want regarding what's best and what's not. The beautiful thing about the internet is that you can ween out a majority decision based on reviews. I'm saying that for the cost, for a street driven vehicle that does not see track time, only small bouts of spirited driving, the pads and rotors that I bought are a great set up for the money.

For just shy of $300 and a few hours of my time, I would gladly buy it again once I need to change them out.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Swiss, get back to us in a year on how well these rotors/pads have kept up.

My last brake job for the camaro cost about $200 in parts for 4 rotors and pads all around. It was a lee auto parts house brand bought at cost. They looked and worked great initially, but became rotten a whole lot faster than the OE parts did (esp here in the midwest).
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

My last brake job for the camaro cost about $200 in parts for 4 rotors and pads all around. It was a lee auto parts house brand bought at cost. They looked and worked great initially, but became rotten a whole lot faster than the OE parts did (esp here in the midwest).
They became rotten faster because they weren't zinc plated like the OP's rotors.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by Jsolo

I'll see if I remember to update this thread in a year haha. I bought a set way back when for my mustang for about $200 same as you. They were cross-drilled, slotted and zinc plated. They weren't from R1 Concepts though; some other ebay company. It was about 4 years before they started rusting. Again, just street use with some abuse on the side (no track). i was quite surprised with how well they held up.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
LexiG37, mine were rotting not at the hub, but at the vanes area (outer part of the rotor). Very cheap material used. They lasted maybe 3 years.

In comparison, we have a pontiac in the household, driven 99% locally. The OE pads were falling apart after 8 years (literally), but the rotors were fine and just needed to be cut - no rust or rotting.

Quick Reply: Ebay rotors and posi-quiet pads installed