MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   How much damage is this? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/238927-how-much-damage-is-this.html)

Keng 08-17-2012 02:22 PM

How much damage is this?

1 Attachment(s)
So I got rear ended yesterday by a Ford F-450. Anyone have rough estimate how much this damage is?

Speed is probably 35-40ish

Thanks!

Here's the video if anyone is interested :P

http://www.kengchang.com/Accident.wmv

Lt8Che 08-17-2012 02:23 PM

Wow, sorry to see. Hope you recoupe from it soon!

Rad_Slinger 08-17-2012 02:28 PM

I would say its not horrible. But without actually seeing it in person there's no way to tellfor sure. I would think around tHe $3000+ area

Rad_Slinger 08-17-2012 02:28 PM

Hope ur ok

Can'tGme 08-17-2012 02:35 PM

I got bumper in the rear when I used to have my 350Z and it was a very light impact. Couldn't even tell it was damaged until i took the rear bumper off and I found out the rear unibody was dented in pretty bad. Yours looks pretty bad IMO. Good luck. Hope you both had insurance.

eljoker 08-17-2012 02:37 PM

thats 6-7 easily.

Only4theGnme 08-17-2012 02:55 PM

I would say about 4-5K easy with the labor being what it is...

jon23 08-17-2012 02:59 PM

Oh man! Are you OK? That looks like it was a pretty harsh hit, and by such a big truck. Make sure you get your back and neck checked now before it's too late. I hear bad stories about people getting rear-ended but did not feel pain so they did not get it checked, only to have the symptoms show up at a later time when it is too late and the insurance won't cover your treatment under the accident claim. Don't forget...

I felt so bad when I saw the picture...ouch! It looks like he wanted to run you over uh?

In parts alone you are already past 1K easily plus labo,r and we don't know what's under all that mess. For what I see, you might need a new muffler, the left tip looks pretty bent, welding might be cracked...

I don't know how much it will cost, but since the insurance companies are involved they will take care of everything...they better!

Himalaya 08-17-2012 07:58 PM

well your insurance company might pay you 5-7, but i bet if you keep your car in a garage for a few months, you can def find all the parts from here and ebay for around 3k max.

DPE G 08-17-2012 09:51 PM

I think you guys are missing the majorly smashed rear drivers quarter. I would push to have it totalled if at all possible, there is more than likley a lot more damage than can be seen. It will involve lots of cutting and welding to fix that, not something you want on a car, and will affect it's value when it comes time to sell/trade. If you do end up keeping it, or if they won't total it and you want them too, push for "diminished value", as in make sure they pay you the difference in what the car is worth AFTER the accident, as it will be a lot different than before.

Example, 2 cars sitting on a lot, same miles, same price, same options. One has a clean carfax, the other says major structural damage repair on the Carfax/Autocheck... trust me I had an Avalanche that booked at $30,000 (Tade) when I traded and only got $14 for it on trade.

**EDIT: this was after about 6 dealers told me they wouldn't even touch the truck for trade. Finnaly found someone willing to play ball.

I'm no body shop expert, but I do know having a quarter panel like that requires a lot of work. I had an 99 Eclipse that was hit just like that, that I fixed and made a beater, ($900 car) I bought a whole quarter of a car from the junkyard. As in cut from the backseats down the middle. Thay cut the piece out of my car, and welded in the new section. I wouldn't ever want that on a car like the G.

G37fanatic 08-17-2012 10:06 PM

^^what he said...

similar thing happened to my buddies 370 and he eneded up totalling it because the value of the car would have gone down big time when he wanted to sell it because the total damage was over $5K.

bluedevils95 08-18-2012 01:33 AM

That sucks but have the insurance looked at it yet?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...21864286_n.jpg

Keng 08-18-2012 02:11 AM

I am taking it to a shop tomorrow for estimate. Will update you guys

Quick question on the Total Loss, that's the decision of the insurance company right?

What if it's the other party's responsibility?

Thanks all

Track Star 08-18-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3510815)
I am taking it to a shop tomorrow for estimate. Will update you guys

Quick question on the Total Loss, that's the decision of the insurance company right?

What if it's the other party's responsibility?

Thanks all

Typically speaking, the total cost to repair a vehicle must be at or above 51% of the vehicles value in order for a vehicle to be considered a "Total Loss." That is the standard that most insurance companies would use when it comes to determining "Total Loss." Some may also use another formula which follows the following: If the cost of repairing the vehicle, plus its salvage value, plus rental reimbursement expense during repair equals or exceeds its actual cash value, it is not economically feasible to repair said vehicle.

Glad you are Okay, seemed like a heavy accident. Definitely make sure you go see your doctor and get scheduled to see a chiropractor. Your health is most important and the person at fault will pay for all of your expenses. Dont skimp on your health. The car will probably end up a "Total Loss" because typically when the quarter panel folds or crumples like that, there is also frame damage to go along with it. Good Luck and let us know what happens!

EnviedG35 08-18-2012 09:36 AM

Thats a lot more damage than it appears to be. Thats a hard hit and more than likely you have floorboard damage as well as some unibody damage. The body work alone would be pretty extensive. I wouldnt say they would total this initially because they only pay out what they can see. My car is being fixed right now from a guy running a light on a motorcycle and hitting me on the side. The initial estimate was only 9k. Well....the car is now complete and the total cost after everything was taken apart and replaced is now $20k.

egmmbah 08-18-2012 10:35 AM

That car is totalled if not real close, I've been in my fair share of accidents. . . Also the percentage to be a total loss varies by state in Florida it has to be over 79%. . . Regardless thats why I back my car in everywhere because I MUCH RATHER someone pulling in or out to hit the front of my car where everything is cheap to repair, rear quarter damage and that much of it is no easy task. . .

987cs 08-18-2012 02:23 PM

They will most likely write your car off. In my personal opinion, I would be buy the car back and fix it yourself (as in through a independent body shop). The parts are everywhere for the car and you will get your car back for a fraction of the value. That's what I did in a similar accident a few months ago, granted mine was probably about 75% of the damage of yours.

Mike45 08-18-2012 03:10 PM

wow that looks bad

Keng 08-18-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by EnviedG35 (Post 3510869)
Thats a lot more damage than it appears to be. Thats a hard hit and more than likely you have floorboard damage as well as some unibody damage. The body work alone would be pretty extensive. I wouldnt say they would total this initially because they only pay out what they can see. My car is being fixed right now from a guy running a light on a motorcycle and hitting me on the side. The initial estimate was only 9k. Well....the car is now complete and the total cost after everything was taken apart and replaced is now $20k.

Wow 20k? Did they total the car?

The shop closed today so I will drop off the car on Monday and I just took an additional picture inside of the bumper.

http://www.kengchang.com/WP_000359.jpg

EnviedG35 08-18-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3510968)
Wow 20k? Did they total the car?

The shop closed today so I will drop off the car on Monday and I just took an additional picture inside of the bumper.

http://www.kengchang.com/WP_000359.jpg

Nope. It didnt reach that point until all the damaged parts had already been fixed and replaced. The car is complete. Just putting odds and ends back together like alignment, recharging a/c.

bluedevils95 08-18-2012 05:15 PM

SO........, what they say?

Keng 08-18-2012 06:33 PM

I won't know until Monday...

bluedevils95 08-18-2012 06:44 PM

what do you want to happen out of this?

Keng 08-18-2012 07:00 PM

Either fix or total, but if it's frame damage and involve welding I am leaning toward total...

Boomer-Bob 08-18-2012 07:50 PM

Good to hear you are not major injured.

IMHO, Deminished Value. Loss of Use. Medical costs plus... $$$$
Car repair ~$20,000.00. Depending on structural damage.
Was the guy that hit you on the phone? I've had a couple of those lately, one new car totaled and one new car minor damage.
I hope it all goes well for you from here out.

37hevn 08-20-2012 12:50 PM

this isnt totaled unless it hit the rail which it might have. but there is over 15k of damage. i didnt read but im sure the driver airbag deployed theres 1k each tail light is 600. i have some experience. your exhaust is prolly damaged so take the money to replace it and get aftermarket. HERE IS A LIST OF WHERE BODY SHOPS BUY THEIR STUFF. IT SHOWS COST AND RETAIL, DAMAGE IS COUNTED BY RETAIL.

Discount Infiniti Parts

Keng 08-20-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 37hevn (Post 3511577)
this isnt totaled unless it hit the rail which it might have. but there is over 15k of damage. i didnt read but im sure the driver airbag deployed theres 1k each tail light is 600. i have some experience. your exhaust is prolly damaged so take the money to replace it and get aftermarket. HERE IS A LIST OF WHERE BODY SHOPS BUY THEIR STUFF. IT SHOWS COST AND RETAIL, DAMAGE IS COUNTED BY RETAIL.

Discount Infiniti Parts

I dropped off the car today at the body shop, they are going to call my insurance and have a adjuster come out to do the tear down. No airbag was deployed, but he said it should be at least 15k so you were right on.

Keng 08-23-2012 04:18 PM

First estimate is 13K damage, still need to check frame/alignment etc

Boomer-Bob 08-23-2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3513323)

Frame is a major thing. Do you want to total the car or repair? It may help to let the right people know.

Keng 08-23-2012 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob (Post 3513338)
Frame is a major thing. Do you want to total the car or repair? It may help to let the right people know.

They still have to do further more investigation. They will let me know when they inspect it.

I thought totaling the car is the discretion of the insurance company?

Boomer-Bob 08-23-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3513354)
They still have to do further more investigation. They will let me know when they inspect it.

I thought totaling the car is the discretion of the insurance company?

PM sent.

jon23 08-23-2012 08:18 PM

Oh man... I really hope the insurance company doesn't play you wrong and re-evaluates the damage to right under totaling the vehicle. Keep us posted.

I know many have probably already told you this, but look at the bigger picture, if somehow you are given a choice to either fix the car or total it, make the choice that will satisfy your wallet in the future, getting a fat check that will cover all the damage AND some sick mods is nice, but not being able to sell your car for what is supposed to be worth when the time comes will bring sour memories.

anomalocaris 08-26-2012 10:28 AM

That is a silly estimate IME. I had twice the damage to my 2008 335i coupe; I was rear-ended by an F-250 at a stop light (he was texting!!!!). Think the OP's damage on the left mirrored on the right side too. Total to fix (included straightening both rear fenders) was $8900. This was done at the top body shop in the area, the one that the BMW, MB, Lexus and Jaguar dealers recommend and use. $13,000 just seems way out of the ballpark for the visible damage.....

Keng 09-11-2012 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The total repair cost is up to 18K now, rear frame was crushed by the F-450.

Boomer-Bob 09-11-2012 05:00 PM

@ $80.00 a day, you'd be owed more than $2K just in Loss of Use also. Maybe it will help you out with replacement / upgrades etc.
I hope it all turns out okay. Best thing is you're not in the hospital.

Keng 09-11-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob (Post 3521511)
@ $80.00 a day, you'd be owed more than $2K just in Loss of Use also. Maybe it will help you out with replacement / upgrades etc.
I hope it all turns out okay. Best thing is you're not in the hospital.

Yes, the car did its job that's the most important thing.

viventi 09-12-2012 07:15 PM

For your sake I hope they total the car...just make sure you're feeling okay, glad that your safe.

Gotboost1099 09-12-2012 07:58 PM

That sir is totaleddddd

DPE G 09-12-2012 08:13 PM

Be careful how much you let them "start" repairing, the insurance company isn't going to want to pay to start repairs and then total it. I would imagine what they have done so far is already quite expensive. I've seen them do this and spend more than the car is worth to fix it so they didn't loose out on labor on top of it.

mr_nlu 09-17-2012 09:05 PM

I was in an accident recently although the damage wasnt as serious as yours seem to be, my estimate was 3 grand.

JesseDip5.0 09-18-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3510568)
So I got rear ended yesterday by a Ford F-450. Anyone have rough estimate how much this damage is?

Originally Posted by Mattster (Post 3510573)
I would say its not horrible. But without actually seeing it in person there's no way to tellfor sure. I would think around tHe $3000+ area

Last month when I saw that guess at the repair costs, I laughed pretty hard, and now to think that the member with the highest activity level would be the worst guess. Classic.

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3521510)
The total repair cost is up to 18K now, rear frame was crushed by the F-450.

ParkStr8 09-18-2012 09:21 PM

Search my previous posts...I had a very similar accident in my 2 month old 2011 G37s. I had frame damage - total cost was over 13k, and not nearly as bad as yours. Sorry to hear.

If you own - diminished value claim!!!!

Keng 09-20-2012 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Current progress....

Keng 09-28-2012 04:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Car has been primed yesterday, painting today