Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Does anyone add any fuel system cleaners in their car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I did a little more research on this and found this regarding fuel system cleaners. The guy sounds pretty knowledgeable. This is regarding Red Line SI-1 Fuel System cleaner. This along with Techron Fuel System cleaner posted above have more PEA than other brands, which is the active component of the fuel system cleaner.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R15T0DQ...R15T0DQBNP2OYG
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
VTCMart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember right, it was in my '08 owner's manual it says "Nissan recommends NOT using any fuel system cleaners"

So since I came across that I have not put any fuel system cleaners in my coupe. Thought it odd they would go out of their way to recommend against them, but why argue with Nissan engineers?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
?? I use Turbo 108(Race fuel) 1-2 a month. I have been using this stuff for more than 12 years. Saw first hand how clean intake runners where with and with out this stuff.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
If you always use the "better" gasoline brands, they put a ton of detergents / additives etc in their fuel. And we're using "premium" which has the highest levels any particular brand sells. I prefer Shell. Mobil is also good, I think, but not so many Mobil stations here as Shell. Shell is everywhere here.

I will NOT use BP. They had some kind of screw-up a couple of years ago, put the wrong sh*t in their gas, and destroyed quite a few people's engines- which at first they tried to deny but ultimately they were found liable for all the damage. [ see BP Facing Lawsuits As Bad Gas Claims Rise To 7,900 « CBS Chicago ] BP is the same corporate bad citizen who has been cited time and time again for poor safety at their refineries- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_...nery_explosion- they save money on maintenance and safety; some workers get killed but who cares, the shareholders are happy. Also caught dumping mercury into Lake Michigan from their Indiana refinery (where 15 million people get their drinking water - see BP dumps mercury in lake - Chicago Tribune)- and last, but not least, after they were warned about problems on the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform -see https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-rig-bp-report, but greedily chose $$profit over people's lives and they kept it in operation when they knew damn well they it needed to be shut down- and so it exploded killing 11 guys and pouring 210 million gallons of nasty crude into the gulf of Mexico. No, sir, I will not buy their gas. Shell and Mobil are not staffed by saints and choirboys either, but for corporate crimes they are not in the same league as BP. If I murder someone for profit, I get life in prison. When executives at BP choose to ignore life-safety issues in order to make more money, they don't go to jail - they get big fat bonuses. Don't get me started. Wait a minute, I've already started...

ANYWAY I use good gas, and that's it. I've never seen any credible evidence that using fuel additives does anything useful.

Burning hydrocarbon fuel in an internal combustion engine is going to produce a certain amount of soot and other deposits, no magic liquid ringjob-in-a-can is going to remedy this. Engines are designed to tolerate this, the days of taking your heads off every 6 months and de-coking the cylinders ended a century ago.

Last edited by milosz; 05-29-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:58 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
If you always use the "better" gasoline brands, they put a ton of detergents / additives etc in their fuel. .
And they spend a ton of advertising $$$$ to induce people like you to believe it.

Here in NJ WaWa 87 octane regular is just fine.

Name:  IMG_5104-1_zpspyfwd0xt.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  39.9 KB

I will NOT use BP.

I recently filled up with a tank of BP regular. Had no problem using it.

Name:  IMG_5177-1_zpshrnfblru.jpg
Views: 4502
Size:  87.4 KB

ANYWAY I use good gas, and that's it. I've never seen any credible evidence that using fuel additives does anything useful.

I use good 87 Octane gas also and agree with you that additives are a waste of money and do not do anything useful.

FWIW I did get better MPG using Loves truck stop regular 87 gasoline than the tankful of 87 octane BP

Name:  Fill-up%20at%20Loves_5085_zpsy4qgvr6y.jpg
Views: 4467
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5179-1_zpscx1gerdd.jpg
Views: 4563
Size:  77.3 KB

Local stop and go driving in a G kills MPG no matter what brand or grade of gasoline you are using. On the road at a steady 70-75 MPH the G gives excellent MPG.

I do a reset on every fill-up and also do the math calculation, miles driven/gallons to fill-up

Telcoman
Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Real data on fuel quality

Fuel economy is no indication of gas quality, additive content, or octane.

Check your OBDII logs for information related to detonation and do some stoichiometric calculations based on actual AFR's, this will tell you quite a bit more about the gas.

As far as additives go, I don't pay any attention to the advertising, I read reports of fuel quality analysis data.

For example, this report [ https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ull-Report.pdf ] of fuel quality and engine deposits from AAA says "The non-TOP TIER gasolines resulted in a group average 660.6mg of deposits per intake valve. The TOP TIER gasolines had a group average of 34.1mg per valve or roughly nineteen times fewer deposits than the non-TOP TIER gasolines." This is a report by independent analysts, not oil-industry hacks or back-alley mechanical "experts."

This report uses scientifically accepted and traceable standard methods for analysis, and you can obtain full details about how the tests were conducted, and by whom, from AAA.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
Every 10,000 miles. More often if you do not use "top tier" fuels.
i also make sure to use Top Tier gas and stay with 93 Octane on my 6MT.

A couple of times a year, I have been usingTechron fuel additive as part of preventive maintenance in all of our cars and those of our kids. We never had any problems with fuel system in any of our cars.

BTW, we hold on to our cars an log 200,000 miles on them on average.

When using Techron, I found that waiting until tank is fairly empty and then filling with Premium fuel with highest octane works best. It is not unusual for a little pinging when climbing hills until additive is gone.

Hope that this helps
Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkg37
It doesn't work.... my friend used sea foam for 5 years on his 335i
there were alot of carbon build up on his engine.. when he decide to clean it all up
it appears that carbon build up (CB) is most prevailing on gasoline cars with direct fuel injection (DFI) like Audi, BMW, etc. The experts indicate that the problem is not caused by fuel but by the design of the DFI system that does not allow for cleaning of intake valves. This seems to only prevailing on gasoline engines

While DFI leads to improved performance over port fuel injection (PFI), owners need to clean out engines with DFI every 40,000-80,000 miles Search AudiWorld and similar for BMW for details. This is a delicate process that requires attention.

Our G37 use port fuel injection which is less suspectible to Carbon Build-up.

Newer engines are using combination of DFI and PFI to address issue.

Hope that hat this helps
Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Additives

Perhaps using a slosh of Techron every so often is overkill, but it certainly won't hurt.

Techron is the same type of stuff they put in the better fuels. I think Mobil used to advertise that their gas specifically had Techron. Of course, there isn't as much of it in the fuel you get at the pump as the concentration you'd achieve when you pour some Techron into the fuel in your tank. Maybe it helps clean things up. Certainly wouldn't hurt a modern car.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Gas

I wonder about gas. We assume that when we go to Shell or Mobil that we are getting "the genuine article" but I wonder if there are unscrupulous sellers selling cheap gas as the brand-name stuff. And, since there's all kind of counterfeit troubles in the various supply chains these days - maybe the local franchise owner thinks he is getting good Mobil gas but some crook has mixed in some lousy cheap fuel or whatever. Sub-quality counterfeits are a problem in pharmaceuticals, car parts, electronics, etc - I wonder if fuel is also prone to this kind of B.S.?

And how would the consumer know?

Last edited by milosz; 05-30-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:41 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Bg 44k my tech at infiniti gives me a free can each oil change
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I use sea foam once a year or so on all of my cars, have for about 10 years now.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (05-30-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:04 AM
clovissimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the Techron at every oil change.