Wheel scratches on Tire change

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
SCM987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel scratches on Tire change

When I got new tires, the place scratched my wheel kind of bad. When I got my car back, they had grease all over the wheels. It wasn't until I washed my car on the weekend, that I noticed them. Is it normal for them to scratch up the wheel? I'm starting to think the grease was to cover it up.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SCM987
When I got new tires, the place scratched my wheel kind of bad. When I got my car back, they had grease all over the wheels. It wasn't until I washed my car on the weekend, that I noticed them. Is it normal for them to scratch up the wheel? I'm starting to think the grease was to cover it up.
absolutely not normal. you should take it back although i can bet they'll deny everything since you just noticed it now.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's NEVER normal for them to scratch your wheels when swapping tires. Either this shop doesn't have the right equipment to handle high end stuff or the tech was incompetent at his job. Any reputable shop should be able to handle swapping tires w/o damaging your wheels.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
No way they should be scratching the wheels!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 AM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll say it happens, just sucks to have it happened to you..

I've been to the same shop that does perfect tire change for me, until the last time, they scratched it a little. I noticed it right on the spot, but I didn't say anything because its the first time. (after soooo many times of services).
Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 AM
EliasFaust

I've been to the same shop that does perfect tire change for me
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me on my last Coupe but I caught it. I saw the guy struggling with the tire when I had a flat one day. Dude tried to cover it up with grease. Should have seen his reaction when I whipped out a paper towel and wiped down the wheel. Thing that really pissed me off was I saw this going on and the Discount Tire salesman blew it off. I raised hell with the manager and got it resolved in the end.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I also had my wheel scratched (all 4 of them) at Discount Tire. I checked right after the tires were mounted on and pointed a couple scratches on each wheel. They were really great about it and had a guy come out to get the wheels refinished. Always show them, before you let them change out your tires, the scratches that are already there and check IMMEDIATELY after the service to see if any new ones show up. If you have new wheels, it's much easier to do since your wheels should be perfect. Unfortunately, since it's been a few days later, they'll probably deny everything.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

My rims had 25K with original tires, not a scratch. Had the tires changed out and it looked like they laid one rim on the cement, and scratched all the other either on the lip of the rim where the tire meets, and near the center caps.

the paint on these rims are very soft. They ended up repairing 2 of the rims and I let the other scratches go since they were minute.

I had many tire changes done in Dallas (Garland Rd) at Discount Tire and never had a scratch. I always tipped them and told them up front that my rims were scratchless and they assured me that they would handle with care.

When I got the G this year I couldn't make the drive to Dallas so I had someone local do it and they FAILED. They covered most of the damage but in the future I will make sure up front that they know each scratch.

Good luck on getting them fixed.

Doug
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for some powdercoating as then you can changed the color to what ever you want. Cost me about $100 bucks a wheel. Like everyone else said they will probably deny it seeing as you didn't catch it before you left.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by toyzforme
Time for some powdercoating as then you can changed the color to what ever you want. Cost me about $100 bucks a wheel. Like everyone else said they will probably deny it seeing as you didn't catch it before you left.
You'll have to pay a wheel company to dismount the tires. They can scratch it up all they want at that point. If you go this route, explicitly state that they were just powder coated and are immaculate when you get your tires remounted. Take good pictures to show them in their perfect state. That way if they do muck it up, you can ask them to refinish free of charge.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I got my SL's mounted all 4 got scratched and didn't realize after I washed off the grease It's a hit or miss when it comes to tire shops.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by huwee06
Same thing happened to me when I got my SL's mounted all 4 got scratched and didn't realize after I washed off the grease It's a hit or miss when it comes to tire shops.
I realize that the tire place is trying to hide their poor work but Im just wondering....why would the wheels have grease on them when the tires get changed ?
Wouldn't you expect your car to be clean when you get your car back after doing this type or any type of serivce ?

I guess if you're having the tires changed you have to show the shop that the wheels dont have any damage, inspect them after the work is done before going home... specially if you see grease on them.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

The coating/paint on the rims is very soft. Just taking off the center caps will cause a scratch if a plastic tool is not used.

These are the softest rims I've ever had. I've had VW, Nissan, Honda, Toyota rims and never had a scratch on wheel changes. I did curb my Jetta at 110k but even then the remaining coating near the scratch didn't flake or peal off. I kept it for another 10K and sold the car.

D
Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
nono

i just got some potenza s04's put on at costco a couple days ago. they scratched 3 of 4 rims. no doubt they did it. manager was cool and is taking care of it. tire shops should be using a rubber peice to strip the tire of the wheel. idk what its called. the guy admitted to not using it when he did my stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel scratches on Tire change