G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is anyone elses gas gauge needle inaccurate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I just cleaned to contacts on both sides and I think it is more accurate than it was before. I'll have to fill up completely to see for sure.

Is there any way to release the pressure on the fuel line before disconnecting it and wasting gas all over the place? I thought of this after the fact, but would it release the pressure if you started the car and then disconnected the electrical connector that powers the fuel pump so that it shuts off and the car burns the fuel in the line and then the engine sputters and dies?

Weiboy, what color are your O rings? Are they both blue or one blue one black?
I think they're blue. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that.

To answer your question, what you just said is correct however there will still be some fuel coming out of that line no matter what. Just much less if the pressure is released. I'll get you the manual for the GTM SC later on tonight, it has lots of good info on our fuel system.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes, I know there will always be some residual fuel in the lines but I ended up spilling a lot. I soaked a bath towel, glad I had it in place when taking the line off.

I had the TSB performed and it seemed to fix it but the issue came back in a few months. Now I'm out of warranty so fixing it myself. The O ring on the driver side was blue and fit correctly. The one on the passenger side (fuel pump side) wasn't leaking but was much too big in diameter. It was black. I'll bet anything that the techs who "fixed" the issue before didn't have the correct part and just used one close in size. I wasn't able to get it to fit back into the groove perfectly and when I screwed everything back in it leaked. I had to go buy the correct O ring from the dealership and it was blue. No leak.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Weiboy718

Wow, I barely had any fuel coming out of my lines and I did not relieved the pressure before unplugging it. Did you drove your car and have less than half a tank prior to that mod?

Sorry you had to go through that and Some techs at the dealers are noobier than some of us IMO. I'm glad you fixed it either way. Here's the GTM SC manual to get a better picture of the fuel pump.

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/Manuals...structions.pdf
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

And for those still believing the old wives tale about gunk/debris/trash in the tank being picked up by the pump when the fuel level is run too low, I looked as far as I could see inside my fuel tank with a flashlight from both sides while performing this fix. Not a single speck of contamination anywhere. None. Just bare shiny metal as far as the eye could see with no solid or liquid contamination whatsoever. This is at 80K miles and driving and parking in some very dusty and muddy conditions and 4.5 years of filling up at the cheapest station instead of the "brand name" fuel outlets.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Sharkroy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
.....before and after I cleaned the fuel sender circuit board.

You can clearly see the differences and so far so good! Usually my gauge level would drop a bit more over night then creeps back up after I drive it but it stayed at the same level.
Weiboy: How did you clean the fuel sender circuit board? Does it come apart where the float arm pivots between the circuit board and the plastic piece? Did you clean the metal contact areas with a q-tip or something similar and/or chemical cleaner? Pls elaborate, thanx
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Sharkroy1
Weiboy: How did you clean the fuel sender circuit board? Does it come apart where the float arm pivots between the circuit board and the plastic piece? Did you clean the metal contact areas with a q-tip or something similar and/or chemical cleaner? Pls elaborate, thanx
No, the unit comes out one whole piece but you can separate everything and all i used was some q tips along with the cleaner called Lectra Motive. You spray the q tip with that and just swab it on the circuit board.

Be sure to follow GTM's instructions on how to remove your rear seat and fuel pump assembly. I'd suggest when you start removing the bolts just loosen it up enough so you can use your hand to remove the rest. Also mark your fuel level before doing this mod so you can see if it made a difference or not and be sure to check back in here. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Sharkroy1

Thanx for your reply Weiboy. I'll be trying this tomorrow so I will post my results. Only had my 37 for 4 days now (had a 35), so still trying to iron out all the quirks. Glad to be apart of this forum and all it's great advice/info. Being in the G35 forum over the last 3yrs really helped me along with my '05. Thanx again!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Lucster

I suspect this is also happening to me but i'm not 100% sure the mileage does like to play around at times tho, if i take it to the dealership ( still in waranty ) what do i tell them to fix?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Sharkroy1
Thanx for your reply Weiboy. I'll be trying this tomorrow so I will post my results. Only had my 37 for 4 days now (had a 35), so still trying to iron out all the quirks. Glad to be apart of this forum and all it's great advice/info. Being in the G35 forum over the last 3yrs really helped me along with my '05. Thanx again!
All good buddy! Glad I can help.

Originally Posted by Lucster
I suspect this is also happening to me but i'm not 100% sure the mileage does like to play around at times tho, if i take it to the dealership ( still in waranty ) what do i tell them to fix?
Does your fuel gauge reads full when you pump in a full tank? If it doesn't you have a warranty case. Just tell them that, they should know what to fix
Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes, I know there will always be some residual fuel in the lines but I ended up spilling a lot. I soaked a bath towel, glad I had it in place when taking the line off.
Jeremy,

Sitting overnight should have allowed the residual pressure to subside.

The other option is to use a fuel pressure gauge meant for injected cars, screw it to the service port on the fuel line under the hood. They have a bleed off hose, stick the hose in a bottle, push the button, and pressure is relieved.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Lucster

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
All good buddy! Glad I can help.

Does your fuel gauge reads full when you pump in a full tank? If it doesn't you have a warranty case. Just tell them that, they should know what to fix
Yes it does but when i park the car over night turn it back on i have less fuel the next day as stated when turned the car off is this normal ?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Jeremy,

Sitting overnight should have allowed the residual pressure to subside.

The other option is to use a fuel pressure gauge meant for injected cars, screw it to the service port on the fuel line under the hood. They have a bleed off hose, stick the hose in a bottle, push the button, and pressure is relieved.

Thanks. I was impatient and didn't wait at all. The car had just been driven when I disconnected the line. I knew there was pressure on it but didn't know there'd be as much as there was. At any rate, I'd advise anyone doing this to disconnect the electrical connection to the fuel pump with the car running to shut the pump off and burn the fuel that's in the line. Then let it sit a while. Then have a towel arouund the connection to catch whatever comes out.

I have a whole can of Lectra-Motive electrical connection cleaner but like a big dummy I didn't think to use that. I just wet a cotton swab with gasoline and swabbed the connections for the float sensor thoroughly on both sides. It seems to have worked.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Sharkroy1

Ok, just finished this simple project. My car sat for about 20 hrs before I took off the fuel line, so there was no pressure or leaky fuel at all. I removed the fuel pump (passenger side), and cleaned the contacts with q-tips and solvent. The only challenge here I think, is when you are re-inserting the pump, trying to make sure the siphon line does not interfere with the float arm assembly. As long as this siphon hose/line is, I can imagine it getting caught up against the float rather easily.

Although not mentioned above, I also removed the Driver's side float assembly and cleaned it as well (no pump, just a shorter float/sending unit). I guess this unit sits in a reserve area? Although it appears to be higher up in the tank, so maybe this unit determines when the tank is completely full (which seemed to be my issue). This circuit board was noticeably dirtier than the pump side (although neither one was very "dirty", I guess micros can make a big difference).

Does it all make a difference? I'll chime in after I run the tank empty this week, and try to get it completely full (should take 19 or so gallons?) Thanks for the thread guys!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM
DashKid
Banned

Mine just started to do this also. So question for coupe do we just bend the seat back?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
For the coupe seats, pull up from the bottom of the seat. There are clips on each side.

Quick Reply: Is anyone elses gas gauge needle inaccurate?