G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is anyone elses gas gauge needle inaccurate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I had the TSB to correct this situation performed a couple of year ago and it fixed the issue. Now it is occurring again and I'm out of warranty so I'll try the DIY fix to see if that helps.

BTW, it's mostly an old wives tale that running the tank low is bad for your car. There was a time past when it could be, but that's not the case now. Of course you don't want to run out of gas completely, but if you run it all the way down without running it completely empty there is no harm that will come to your car at all.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOSTER33
You are correct in saying that running it bone dry is not good for the car.

I never run my car to empty and please tell us what you gain by refilling your tank every time you reach 1/2 tank?

Like I said, I like to squeeze all I can out of it. My choice not yours. To each their own buddy.
I fill at 1/4th tank

But I also live near gas stations.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I fill at 1/4th tank

But I also live near gas stations.
That's awesome kid. Well once my needle drops just below 1/4 tank my warning light comes on and my display starts giving me crazy mileage estimates that I have left in my tank. So my gauge is definitely off. Will be taking car to dealer for warranty repair.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I had the TSB to correct this situation performed a couple of year ago and it fixed the issue. Now it is occurring again and I'm out of warranty so I'll try the DIY fix to see if that helps.

BTW, it's mostly an old wives tale that running the tank low is bad for your car. There was a time past when it could be, but that's not the case now. Of course you don't want to run out of gas completely, but if you run it all the way down without running it completely empty there is no harm that will come to your car at all.
i'm up here in New england, and i was told that if i run it down past 1/4 there might be moisture in the tank and i could "freeze" my gas lines when it's cold outside.

just always stuck with me so i've always filled at half (or most of the time).
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

If you have enough water in your gas tank to freeze your fuel lines when it's cold, you have big problems. It would have caused you some serious mechanical issues by now. There's very likely nothing at all in your fuel tank but gas and vapor.

But fill as often as you like, it won't hurt anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm sure you're right.

Was just something that has always stuck with me.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful when you're removing them tiny 8mm bolts. They are really short about 3-5mm long only. I would recommend loosening them enough where you can hand twist it out because if it drops in your fuel tank interior it'll be hard to recover that. Have less than half a tank and rags handy
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me just this morning!!!! I've encountered it a couple times, but only happens randomly. If I turn the car off and restart it, it's just fine
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I recall two issues about running a tank to almost empty.

1) Fuel is used to dissipate heat the fuel pump creates when pumping. By running very low or near empty, that is no longer the case. Life of the pump may be reduced.

2) Running very low on fuel may cause debris that's on the bottom of the tank to be picked up.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be a filter sock on the fuel pump, and then another in-line filter. The chances of getting debris up to the motor in any car after 1986 is VERY VERY slim.

The fuel pumps, pump fuel through them. That's what keeps the pump turbine cool.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I recall two issues about running a tank to almost empty.

1) Fuel is used to dissipate heat the fuel pump creates when pumping. By running very low or near empty, that is no longer the case. Life of the pump may be reduced.

2) Running very low on fuel may cause debris that's on the bottom of the tank to be picked up.
Fuel itself cools the pump as it pumps it. The second one is incorrect too. There's not debris on the bottom of your fuel tank. There's no way for it to get in there except for the couple of minutes that they tank is not sealed while you are pumping gas. Unless you dump something in there as you are fueling, it doesn't get contaminated with particulates. Take a look for yourself. And if there were it wouldn't it be pretty well mixed up and suspended throughout the fuel in the tank as it sloshes around constantly all the while that you are driving?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Agreed fuel cools while pumped, but being submerged in fuel also helps dissipate heat.

Contaminants can get into your fuel tank while pumping. When the pump filters are so dirty/clogged they're being bypassed. A slow pumping pump is usually a good indication of this.

Sloshing around when driving, probably. Would be interesting to tear apart a fuel tank after several years of use to see if there is indeed gunk present.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Agreed fuel cools while pumped, but being submerged in fuel also helps dissipate heat.

Contaminants can get into your fuel tank while pumping. When the pump filters are so dirty/clogged they're being bypassed. A slow pumping pump is usually a good indication of this.

Sloshing around when driving, probably. Would be interesting to tear apart a fuel tank after several years of use to see if there is indeed gunk present.
Mine is almost 5 years old. Gunk free. I haven't had occasion to check my '96 Maxima lately but it was clean as a whistle the last time I looked in there which was probably about 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a little update. I finally went and pumped in a full tank of gas and it's been awhile since I've seen the needle actually reads full. So, the cleaning of the fuel sending unit did help! Congrats to myself!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I just cleaned to contacts on both sides and I think it is more accurate than it was before. I'll have to fill up completely to see for sure.

Is there any way to release the pressure on the fuel line before disconnecting it and wasting gas all over the place? I thought of this after the fact, but would it release the pressure if you started the car and then disconnected the electrical connector that powers the fuel pump so that it shuts off and the car burns the fuel in the line and then the engine sputters and dies?

Weiboy, what color are your O rings? Are they both blue or one blue one black?

Quick Reply: Is anyone elses gas gauge needle inaccurate?