Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Gen 3 VS Takeda front Mount CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If choosing between these 2 I would pick Stillen, just because it has 2 different filters.
In Performance they are 99% same.
Sound wise, its all about you, which ever you like better.
On my G I have injen cold air,its a meany ( no problem with rain what so ever, just don't jump into deep puddles.... )

IMHO I don't like how Takeda designed...but thats just me.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Touch the intake pipes of a CAI immediately after a drive on a hot day - cool to touch. Touch the pipes of a short ram on the same day - ouch!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Brainchild

Originally Posted by john91
If choosing between these 2 I would pick Stillen, just because it has 2 different filters.
In Performance they are 99% same.
Sound wise, its all about you, which ever you like better.
On my G I have injen cold air,its a meany ( no problem with rain what so ever, just don't jump into deep puddles.... )

IMHO I don't like how Takeda designed...but thats just me.
Though we don't have viable records of performance similarities and dissimilarities, advantages and disadvantages, I would argue the Stillen system outperforms the Takeda (if installed as directed).

As I mentioned before, the angled couplers have to be squeezed a lot to get through the radiator core support if you don't cut them open. I've seen it and the inner diameter of the couplings shrink down 1/3-1/2. That creates a huge bottleneck (and another at the MAF due to the smaller inner diameter.).

The single air filter design is innovative but I feel could be restricting air flow. At WOT, both pipe ends could be competing for air, therefore limiting power output. The filters height is only 10.5". That's not much room between both ends to take in air uninterrupted.

Placement of the pipes through the angled couplers are also important. Place the pipe ends too far in creates a narrow, sharp turn for the air to travel. You'll want to keep the pipe edges out of the turn in the coupler to allow smooth and un-restrictive air flow.

The Stillen system shares none of these disadvantages.

Just my thoughts using simple logic but what do I know.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brainchild
Keep in mind also, the Takeda can be installed without opening the radiator core support. But not doing so forces the user to squeeze the angled couplers through the core support, reducing its diameter by about half. That is a HUGE bottleneck for the intake.
I disagree about it being a huge bottleneck. The shape is just not round. The coupler tube essentially deforms to accommodate the shape of the cor esupport cutout. I'm willing to bet the cross sectional area of the coupler a the support junction is about the same as the round tube you have to cut room out of the support for on the Stillen unit.

Also, I'm tired of hearing people (not you - just feel like mentioning it since it's on topic) that narrowing at certain lengths of the tube means the whole tube might as well be the same smaller diameter- that's just not how fluid dynamics works. Does it pose a slight increase in resistance? yes. Is it massive? no.

In fact, one of the reasons I chose the Takeda is because of the narrowing at the MAF port- that shows thoughtful design and testing.

The weak point of the Takeda system is the quality of the coupler material on the throttle body side- they tear pretty easily if overtightened or misaligned- you have to pay attention to this when you're installing.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Brainchild

Ok, the difference in resistance isn't huge but at least significant enough for it to be considered. Air flow can only be as "open" as it's narrowest section. Consider RallyX cars. A lot of them have large intake boxes/tubes with a smaller diameter bottleneck before the throttle, limiting its power and/or tuning capabilities. The "deformed" coupler still reduces the inner diameter, thus increasing resistance, no?

The quality of the Takeda coupler is sufficient but too short in my opinion.

Disclaimer: By no means am I suggesting the Takeda system is inferior. It is actually a very capable system but I feel the Stillen is just a bit better in design and performance.

Last edited by Brainchild; 09-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Tadeka all day But I might be selling mine very soon and it comes with custom couplers.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 PM
ashmostro

The so-called bottleneck isn't really one. But I already explained that... Moving on.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Brainchild

I guess it's just a marketing gimmick then..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 AM
mysilverg37xx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takeda or used Gen 3 lol please help 2010 g37 coupe 7at
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM
ashmostro

Whole sentences and complete ideas, please. Learn to communicate with others, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Darth Kinetic (12-02-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ashmostro
Whole sentences and complete ideas, please. Learn to communicate with others, thanks.
Ingrish güd
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I was surprised at how much better my G performed after adding the Gen3. After reading many reports here of subtle improvements, I didn't expect as big of a change as I got. I live at high altitude, 7,800 feet and regularly travel over 11,000 feet and I think it really makes a big difference. Some say the OEM airbox isn't that restrictive, which may be true at sea level, but here, the mod really seems to shine. The roar helps the butt dyno as well!

I chose it over the Takeda as I couldn't get over the fact that the Takeda turned a dual intake car into a single intake car, even though I admit they are quite similar. I think the Stillen is slightly better designed, but the Takeda is a best buy for the buck. I bought the intake used on this site for what a Takeda would have cost. I like the Stillen look better as well. Either one is better than stock or the short ram intakes.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
ashmostro

2 is better than 1?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks are personal, but I like the 2 tapered filters better than 1, and the uniform diameter tubing. I'd rather cut to keep a larger diameter throughout, than have the pipes tapered to fit the stock clearance. The Takeda is the better bargain and easier to install. If for some reason I needed to replace a filter on the road, it would be much easier to locally source a K&N filter for the Stillen. Stillen shows much more dyno proof, if you can believe it. The dyno testing on each doesn't reflect the additional ram effect you will get, and the dyno testing on the short rams are probably done with a cold engine with the hood open. Both are great options, the best for our cars; good arguments can be made for each. Buy the one that best suits your preferences. Realize this is like a Ford vs. Chevy thread where each will have its merits and there won't ever be complete consensus.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM
ashmostro

I agree with the spirit of your last sentence.

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen 3 VS Takeda front Mount CAI