Brakes squeal when I reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
barc111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm no automotive expert by any means so take my explanation with a grain of salt.

My '08 G37s coupe has the same issue with what most track guys call 'Glazed Rotors'. I've owned 3 vehicles now that had BBK's and experienced this issue on all.

It is something you just have to live with driving a performance vehicle like ours.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
ohsogood

Originally Posted by barc111
So I'm no automotive expert by any means so take my explanation with a grain of salt.

My '08 G37s coupe has the same issue with what most track guys call 'Glazed Rotors'. I've owned 3 vehicles now that had BBK's and experienced this issue on all.

It is something you just have to live with driving a performance vehicle like ours.
I understand most people can just deal with it and forget about it, but I just can't get over the fact that regular $20k cars don't have this issue. If the squeals happened while we were speeding and then braking, I could understand that maybe the speed caused the squeal. For it to happen when we reverse at a slow speed is what bugs me. I don't understand how driving a performance vehicle means we should accept the squeal.
I don't have experience with other models but do audi A4/S4 or BMW 3 series or any other 40k cars have the same issue?
Not to say those cars are perfect and I'm sure they have different issues as well but a brake squeal that is so f'n loud is embarrassing.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
betterdayz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most infiniti cars with bbk have this issue unfortunately. My coupe does it almost every time i back out of the garage!
Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Aismail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ohsogood
I understand most people can just deal with it and forget about it, but I just can't get over the fact that regular $20k cars don't have this issue. If the squeals happened while we were speeding and then braking, I could understand that maybe the speed caused the squeal. For it to happen when we reverse at a slow speed is what bugs me. I don't understand how driving a performance vehicle means we should accept the squeal.
I don't have experience with other models but do audi A4/S4 or BMW 3 series or any other 40k cars have the same issue?
Not to say those cars are perfect and I'm sure they have different issues as well but a brake squeal that is so f'n loud is embarrassing.
The thing is, it's because of the ceramic pads, they tend to be cold as ice in the morning, colder than the $20k cars' pads and of course they don't have the same braking performance that our cars do, so it's basically a difference in pros and cons, u want much better braking? u get 5 seconds of squeeling every morning! Still, with my car I hear the squeeling 4 days out of 7 so it's not much of a problem for me...Since u're asking about the audi and bmws, a bit of squeeling for 5 seconds while I reverse out of the garage in the morning to go to work is NOTHING compared to the problems my neighbour is having with his bmw 335! Before I got my G I was also considering the 335, thank god I didn't get it, now I keep making fun of him every time I drive by
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
shake'n'baked

wow, i'm so glad i found this!

I have a 2008 G37S and i have this problem as well. Got my brakes checked out and they said they were fine but they have always had that squeak.

I haven't found a difference in warm or cold weather.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
ohsogood

Originally Posted by shake'n'baked
wow, i'm so glad i found this!

I have a 2008 G37S and i have this problem as well. Got my brakes checked out and they said they were fine but they have always had that squeak.

I haven't found a difference in warm or cold weather.
Welcome to the team..
Not a team I would want to join but nevertheless welcome!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
djhead

My '08 G37S just started having the squeaking brake issue when backing up slowly and brake applied lightly. Have about 21K miles on it now. Started squeaking about 4/5 months ago, around 19K mi. Have owned it since new with no squeaking til now. Car is in Phoenix AZ area, so I don't think temp has much to do with it. Interesting that there is a TSB out for squeaking front brakes, but it does not apply to Sport model. Hopefully, it will be addressed by Infiniti soon!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
G+36+1=

My '08 G37S Coupe does it as well when backing up slowly and applying the brakes lightly. Im glad I read this forum because until now, I thought I was the only person with this issue. I brought my G with 37K miles on it and it's been doing it since day 1. I've just learned to live with it, it doesn't bother me much anymore.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, majority rules. Looks like the '08 G37S suffers from it the most.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
ohsogood

You would think with this many people having this problem, they would find a way to fix it.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You would think with this many people having this problem, they would find a way to fix it.
They're too busy sleeping with mercedes to get the next gen G out...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pulled the front brakes and still had lots of pad left, so I cleaned them plus the caliper pistons, then greased the backing plates and ends, and now the noise is totally gone. Easy job. The dealer is right...nothing technically wrong with them, but they sure make a lot of noise when they are full of brake dust. No car that costs this much should make that kind of noise. Mine is now quite, and no more embarrassing noise when I back up.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
audtatious

My '08 S with factory brakes squealed in reverse. I have Hawk rear pads now and it no longer squeals.

My wife has a '07 G35s sedan (which has the base brakes, not the Akebono) and hers squeals in reverse as well, worse since Infiniti replaced the rear brakes.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Jamler

Its embarrassing too... I was at a PGA tournament with some friends who work for BMW, yes they all had BMW company cars, but they all said they love the G. One actually said, if I had to buy my own car, I'd probably go for a G37S Coupe. So I felt pretty good, but I had to leave the event before them, all standing around watching me as I put it in REV to get out of the parking spot... SQEEEEK... I saw them all look at each other and laugh a bit. ... Thankfully the car sounds badass in Drive, hoping to leave a better impression, I kept it in 2nd for a bit longer than normal to get the growl...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
ohsogood

Originally Posted by Jamler
Its embarrassing too... I was at a PGA tournament with some friends who work for BMW, yes they all had BMW company cars, but they all said they love the G. One actually said, if I had to buy my own car, I'd probably go for a G37S Coupe. So I felt pretty good, but I had to leave the event before them, all standing around watching me as I put it in REV to get out of the parking spot... SQEEEEK... I saw them all look at each other and laugh a bit. ... Thankfully the car sounds badass in Drive, hoping to leave a better impression, I kept it in 2nd for a bit longer than normal to get the growl...
That's exactly the situation I want to avoid.
You definitely had it worse with the BMW guys right next to you watching the whole thing. I hate coming out of work with coworkers that envy my car and then when they see me back out, I get that damn screech!

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal when I reverse?