Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weird noise need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird noise need help!!!

I have a 2008 G37s coupe 6mt with almost 55000 miles on it... So I have taken my car to the dealership now about the fourth time in the last month and a half.... I had been hearing this tapping noise after the engine warms up and its been driven for a good 5-10 minutes... when you stop on a light or idle you hear a tapping noise comming from the passenger side inside the cabin....It sounds like a clacking noise... clack clack clack clack.... (no better way of explaining this) I can't match this noise to anything outside the vehicle.... If you push the car and then come to a stop and idle you can hear the frequency of this noise increase and it does it in a much quicker way....

First the dealership told me it was the VVEL and it was nothing they could do about it... I am aware of the TSB for and my car has the latest software so that is not it....and I was confident it is not the VVEL

After the third time I had the master tech ride with me and he heard what I was talking about and when they called corporate they said it must be the flywheel... Strange cause I had a 2009 G37x AT sedan loaner and it had the same noise but louder and I could hear that one outside the vehicle...but hey I didn't loose anything with them checking the flywheel... they ended up replacing my flywheel, pressure plate, salve cylinder and clutch under warranty and the noise is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!...(Happy they did this under warranty but didn't solve the issue) what could it be??? I have no clue... on top of it my clutch pedal feels funny now... my engagement point is almost immediate after I let the clutch go which made me stall the care when I was taking it out of the dealership... and it has a lot of play although it goes through gears with absolutely no grinding...but again the pedal has a lot of loose travel before it disengages the clutch to shift gears.... Do they need to adjust the pedal? is it something with the hydraulics?

Has anyone heard this kind of noise on their G's? One of the techs said it could be the fuel dampers but most of them in the dealership don't agree. Researching on the net I want to say that that could be it but I am not certain.....

Thanks a lot for your input...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you record it for us and post? It's the best way we can pinpoint it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Can you record it for us and post? It's the best way we can pinpoint it.
I will try that tomorrow.... Morning before taking it back to the dealership Hopefully I can capture the sound on my phone...

What do you think about the clutch?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well not sure what that is 100% since I really couldn't hear it. But since its not persistent it could be the clutch. They do make noise when in neutral/disengaged. Mine sure does.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
G Force

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It sounds like piston slap.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Guys the clutch thing is all gone I guess since they replaced everything including flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder and really didn't drive the car too much the hydraulic system might have caught some air or something but know after a few miles of driving its back to normal and dang it grabs so much better....

I actually recorded the noise Im talking about from my car but need to upload here. I will work on that shortly...

Infiniti is going to bring a guy to the dealership to check my car but he requested that it has to be stock... So I already swapped my intakes back to OEM and need to put my factory exhaust back in shortly.... I assume they are suspecting that the car is running rich... or something... I am starting to think that the noise is comming from the cats... but not sure... I really hope is something like that and not piston slap like G force mentioned or any kind of engine damage.... or if it is I hope it is covered and I get a new one...
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

This is the noise from the outside of the car putting my phone inside the drivers side wheel well...

YouTube - ‪Noise Outside.MOV‬‏

This is the noise from the inside of the car recorded under the glove compartment passenger side... It is harder to hear... but hope you can hear it and give me some insight...

YouTube - ‪Noise Inside‬‏

Sorry it took so long but finally got it done... I have an appointment to get my car checked again next week.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I cannot view the vids at work. but from your explanation it sounds like the TSB for the excess sealant in the heater core. You get a ticking at idel and it will increese in rate with the RPM's. they do a heater core flush and it goes away. Had this happen to my 08
The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (11-13-2015)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Originally Posted by shumby
I cannot view the vids at work. but from your explanation it sounds like the TSB for the excess sealant in the heater core. You get a ticking at idel and it will increese in rate with the RPM's. they do a heater core flush and it goes away. Had this happen to my 08

I don't know that it increases with the RPMs tho I can't really hear it unless Im in idle after the enginer warms up... I have read that tsb and I am going to have to mention to them again and hopefully that's it. Please check the videos when you get a chance later and let me know if it sounds similar to what you had on yours.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
stormgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the first vid.... if you slightly rev it, does the sound speed up as the engine rpms do?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stormgate
In the first vid.... if you slightly rev it, does the sound speed up as the engine rpms do?
I don't know I'll have to try to record that to see if it does i'll try tonight
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

UPDATE

Ok so this is the noise with the clip taken from the drivers side wheel well and reving... if you hear a crackling sound that is the stupid OEM Y pipe's heat shields...

YouTube - ‪Rev Noise driver side‬‏

This is the noise also reving on the passenger side wheel well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKPqcgEWJo

This is a clip taken pretty close to the passenger side cat no reving:
YouTube - ‪Rev Noise passenger side cat.MOV‬‏

Hope this brings more insight...

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
nighttrain777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby

Here's the link to the TSB.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1RW10.pdf
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nighttrain777
Here's the link to the TSB.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1RW10.pdf

Got the dealership looking into this... although they think this is not it... not sure we'll see I hope it is and I can get done with this and get my car back and stop visiting the freakin dealership every week....
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
jktinen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same sound is happening with my 09 sedan. BUMP

Quick Reply: Weird noise need help!!!