MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/220350-time-to-say-goodbye-to-my-g37-coupe.html)

Elco 04-16-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 3113186)
I got it for invoice price because my neighbor hooked me up. Otherwise, I would have paid much more than I did. So for that, I'm thankful.

As for the A5 being everywhere, I don't even see how that is possible. They just don't make or sell a lot of them. I hardly ever see them on the street. I do think the A5 is a much more rare car...

That's completly WRONG if you live in Europe (like me and many others)
Here, you can see Audi's everywhere. Even the A5 is a common car. Most of them with 3.0L TDI (turbidiesel) versions. Also alot of BMW's, Merc, VW (Passat, Golf, Tuareg, etc...).Infiniti's are very rare and Nissan's are "something else"

If you like the torque at low RPM's and high mileage, get a diesel version.
The 3.0 TDI get 40 MPG (in the real life) and 500 Nm (370 lbf) from 1200 RPM.
But you only get 240 HP and a boorring car...

Dont get me wrong!.
A5 is a nice car. But there are too many on the road and they luck too... "conservator" to me. They didn't changed too much betwen versions.

Anyway, congrat's for the deal.

1NEETO 04-16-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 3113108)
That's funny...exactly the opposite. I have no plans to chip my A5 because I think it makes enough power without chipping. But it is nice to have a turbo car that can see big gains with a chip (thanks to easily increased boost pressures) if I change my mind in the future.

I'm actually a big fan of small displacement turbo engines. I used to own a first generation Eclipse Tsi AWD. Increasing the boost made a huge difference in the performance of that car. Then I eventually swapped in a bigger turbo and the car was running the quarter mile in the high 12's. Those days are behind me now and I just want a car that has decent power and is nice to drive. I'm not interested in drag racing anymore. If HP were a big concern, I'd probably be swapping my G37 for an S5, not an A5.

Eclipse tsi? Sorry I call bs, if you really did own a DSM And were enthusiastic enough to make it run 12's, you would never make such a noob mitake confusing the eagle talon and Mitsubishi eclipse.

What set up were you running on that eclipse/talon? Which year? Did you have a 6 bolt or 7 bolt engine? 3 or 4 bolt rear end?

1NEETO 04-16-2011 09:28 PM

As forthe A5, yes it is a very nice car but I would never pay 40k+ for a car that has a 200hp engine. But that's just me.

MSCA 04-16-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1NEETO (Post 3113285)
Eclipse tsi? Sorry I call bs, if you really did own a DSM And were enthusiastic enough to make it run 12's, you would never make such a noob mitake confusing the eagle talon and Mitsubishi eclipse.

What set up were you running on that eclipse/talon? Which year? Did you have a 6 bolt or 7 bolt engine? 3 or 4 bolt rear end?

Call all the BS you want to. I actually owned two of them, both highly modified. I have several pictures of each. I have pictures of them at the track. I have time slips.

Both of my cars were modified with mostly HKS stuff. Offroad exhaust (no cat), 1st generation EVC (electronic boost controller), hybrid turbo with a modified impeller, etc... I ran 20 lbs of boost with the stock intercooler and the car would hit the high 12's with a 1.7 short time. I used to rev the engine to 6000 rpm and side step the clutch. It hit so hard that the windshield wipers would come on from the jolt. In fact, I have a picture of a launch with the wipers on.

So yeah, go ahead and call BS all you want. You remind me of that loser who was perma-banned a while ago.

MSCA 04-16-2011 10:36 PM

Oh, BTW...this was like 20 years ago. I purchased both of the cars brand new and modded them right away. You were probably in diapers back then.

Also, I preferred the way the Talon looked over the Eclipse, so I swapped some of the parts to make it look like a Talon. The tiny grille on the Talon looked better than the plastic lens on the Eclipse. So in that sense, you can say my Eclipse was part Talon in the looks department.

MSCA 04-16-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Elco (Post 3113266)
That's completly WRONG if you live in Europe (like me and many others)

I'd guess that 99% of the forum members here are from North America. Audi just doesn't sell a lot of A5s on this continent. Trust me, there are far fewer A5s on the roads here compared to the G37. And the BMW 3 series is everywhere you look. You see almost as many of those as you do Camrys and Accords.

MSCA 04-16-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1NEETO (Post 3113289)
As forthe A5, yes it is a very nice car but I would never pay 40k+ for a car that has a 200hp engine. But that's just me.

The HP is meaningless. The 211 HP rating means nothing to me. The car has more than 250 lb. ft. of torque on tap from just 1500 rpm. That's what makes a great driving car to me, not the HP rating.

And $40K is nothing for a new car these days. I'll be paying cash in full, so it's not even an issue for me.

RYs06MT 04-16-2011 10:55 PM

^ because no one here in the U.S. wants it, not because Audi doesn't want to make more sales... you should have got the S5, minus the motor (since you're clearly not concerned with that) it has more upgrades than the A5. wheels, exhaust, seats, power side mirrors, suede roof etc... . I guess you didn't care about that either.

koa789 04-16-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by RYs06MT (Post 3113331)
^ because no one here in the U.S. wants it, not because Audi doesn't want to make more sales... you should have got the S5, minus the motor (since you're clearly not concerned with that) it has more upgrades than the A5. wheels, exhaust, seats, power side mirrors, suede roof etc... . I guess you didn't care about that either.

The wheels he's getting since he got the sport package. The exhaust is useless on the 2.0T...it has power side mirrors...he can get the S5 seats and headliner if he got the S line package. I'm guessing since he custom ordered his, he chose not to get it for whatever reason...so yeah, he didn't care about that. Now lay off the guy. He's not spending your money. And that full lady car? Coming from a guy that has a Z4? Nice.

breftayka 04-16-2011 11:36 PM

Congrats man. Considered the A5/S5 before deciding on the G.
On the other hand. We have just as many A5s here as G37 coupes. It's the sedans that are so common/

1NEETO 04-16-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 3113320)
Call all the BS you want to. I actually owned two of them, both highly modified. I have several pictures of each. I have pictures of them at the track. I have time slips.

I'm not going to ask to post pics because I know you won't. :bowrofl:

Both of my cars were modified with mostly HKS stuff. Offroad exhaust (no cat), 1st generation EVC (electronic boost controller), hybrid turbo with a modified impeller, etc... I ran 20 lbs of boost with the stock intercooler and the car would hit the high 12's with a 1.7 short time. I used to rev the engine to 6000 rpm and side step the clutch. It hit so hard that the windshield wipers would come on from the jolt. In fact, I have a picture of a launch with the wipers on.
The wipers turning on during a launch is spot-on. It's a well known DSM trait. Hybrid turbo? What kind? Since that's such a generic term. You didn't need a hybrid turbo to run 12's, that was easily done with a clipped small 16G or even a ported 14B.

So yeah, go ahead and call BS all you want. You remind me of that loser who was perma-banned a while ago.
I called bs because I was on the DSM scene for many years and nobody but noobs would say eclipse tsi or talon gsx lol. Your answer seemed very generic, I asked simple questions that a DSM enthusiast would know the answer without even thinking, and you have yet to answer them.

Things get more interesting below though.

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 3113322)
Oh, BTW...this was like 20 years ago. I purchased both of the cars brand new and modded them right away. You were probably in diapers back then.

Lol you're older than me but not by much.
20 years ago? You were in the 12's with a DSM 20 years ago when the aftermarket was almost non existent in north America? If you were in the 12's that long ago you would be well known in the DSM community as a pioneer. Is your name Dave Buschur? Todd Day? John Shepperd? DSM's on the 12's were old news by the mid 90's but 20 years ago (that is 1990-91) it was unheard of until Bushur ran a 12 second pass sometime in 1992 or so on his iconic "4BANGR". Building a DSM those days you either needed the money to order aftermarket parts from Japan (and even in Japan 4G63T aftermarket parts were not that common) or build your own.

Also, I preferred the way the Talon looked over the Eclipse, so I swapped some of the parts to make it look like a Talon. The tiny grille on the Talon looked better than the plastic lens on the Eclipse. So in that sense, you can say my Eclipse was part Talon in the looks department.
lol nice save! I catch you on a noob mistake and your excuse is that you had eclipse body parts on your talon? Nice.
I do agree that the talon looked better than the eclipse. That's why I owned two talons ('92 and 98).

Enjoy your new A5, turbo cars are fun when the boost kicks in but 200hp and 258 torque is still weak for such a relatively heavy car.

MSCA 04-17-2011 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by RYs06MT (Post 3113331)

No, because Audi apparently doesn't want to crank them out as fast as they can make them. They are obviously not going for the high sales/low profit business model. If they were, there would be a lot of them sitting on dealer lots.

BTW, the S5 comes with the same size wheels and tires as the A5 (with the sports package) and I prefer the design of the wheels on the A5 much more than the S5. Personal choice, I guess. The seats on the S5 are not as nice as the seats on the A5 (again, with the sports package) either. I don't like the highback bucket seats on the S5. I prefer the bucket seats with the separate headrest on the A5. Power side mirrors are on both cars (are you kidding me?) Suede roof? WTF are you talking about? The headliner? LOL, who gives a crap about that? Yeah, I guess you're right that I don't care.

cvt 04-17-2011 12:19 AM

Actually there are quite a few A5s here in Thousand Oaks / Westlake / Oak Park area...but it's still a nice car. S5s are definatley more rare, especially the V8.i like Audis. I'd get one if I could afford the payments and maintinence. i've read some horror stories from owner emebers...and it's enough to give me pause.

MSCA 04-17-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1NEETO (Post 3113353)
I'm not going to ask to post pics because I know you won't. :bowrofl:

Maybe I will just to prove you wrong and make you look stupid. Problem is that Id have to scan them in because the were taken back in the very early 90's before digital cameras.

The wipers turning on during a launch is spot-on. It's a well known DSM trait. Hybrid turbo? What kind? Since that's such a generic term. You didn't need a hybrid turbo to run 12's, that was easily done with a clipped small 16G or even a ported 14B.

Who said anything about needing it? I just said it was a mod I made to the car. It was new technology back then.

I called bs because I was on the DSM scene for many years and nobody but noobs would say eclipse tsi or talon gsx lol. Your answer seemed very generic, I asked simple questions that a DSM enthusiast would know the answer without even thinking, and you have yet to answer them.

Again, this was 20 years ago. Sorry that I haven't thought about the diamond star cars for all these years. I never cracked open the engine or did anything at all to the car other than bolt-ons.

Things get more interesting below though.

Lol you're older than me but not by much.
20 years ago? You were in the 12's with a DSM 20 years ago when the aftermarket was almost non existent in north America?

Nonexistant? Really? LOL. Greddy wasn't around yet, but you must have heard of HKS, right? Did you know that they had stages for building up the Eclipse/Talon in 1990? Stage 1 was just their exhaust. Stage 2 was their PowerFlow intake, complete with the big green filter element. Stage 3 was an EVC....etc... I can probably find my old HKS catalog if I dig through my closet.

If you were in the 12's that long ago you would be well known in the DSM community as a pioneer. Is your name Dave Buschur? Todd Day? John Shepperd? DSM's on the 12's were old news by the mid 90's but 20 years ago (that is 1990-91) it was unheard of until Bushur ran a 12 second pass sometime in 1992 or so on his iconic "4BANGR".

LOL, no, it wasn't. Not everybody was trying to make a name for himself (like Buschur) by building a Talon. I wasn't the only one who broke into the 12's back then. You've got to be kidding me if you think Buschur was the first.

There were Building a DSM those days you either needed the money to order aftermarket parts from Japan (and even in Japan 4G63T aftermarket parts were not that common) or build your own.

Wrong again. Like I said, HKS could get you into the 12's in 1990 with nothing but bolt-ons from their catalog. I'm not the only one who did it.

lol nice save! I catch you on a noob mistake and your excuse is that you had eclipse body parts on your talon? Nice.
I do agree that the talon looked better than the eclipse. That's why I owned two talons ('92 and 98).
It wasn't a save. I never said anything about having Talon parts on my Eclipse as a reason I said TSi instead of GSX. I just liked the Talon parts better. I also put the wrap-around spoiler from the Talon on my Eclipse, but I had it painted gloss black first. Looked better than the flat black that it was painted from the factory.

Enjoy your new A5, turbo cars are fun when the boost kicks in but 200hp and 258 torque is still weak for such a relatively heavy car.

RYs06MT 04-17-2011 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by koa789 (Post 3113343)
The wheels he's getting since he got the sport package. The exhaust is useless on the 2.0T...it has power side mirrors...he can get the S5 seats and headliner if he got the S line package. I'm guessing since he custom ordered his, he chose not to get it for whatever reason...so yeah, he didn't care about that. Now lay off the guy. He's not spending your money. And that full lady car? Coming from a guy that has a Z4? Nice.

yeah they track z4's sir, it actually out performs the G37/A5 in everything... the G is my slowest/cheapest (semi lady car) so I don't understand where you we're going with that.... thank you though

oops edit that, the G has a better navigation system.